2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
So this came out today, despite holding off for ages to develop their own system, Toyota have agreed to launch CarPlay in their vehicles (one at least to start with):

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/15/toyota-to-support-apple-carplay/

I think this makes Mazda the only manufacturer that won't put it in their cars?
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...ming-soon-including-retroactive-upgrades.html

They have been promising it ‘soon’ for years now. I don’t see it ever happening anymore.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Toyota have agreed to launch CarPlay in their vehicles (one at least to start with):
I think this makes Mazda the only manufacturer that won't put it in their cars?
Nope. Toyota is the other one. Them "agreeing" doesn't mean anything: Mazda has also "agreed to launch" CarPlay and Android Auto: they did this *years* ago. No results yet.

When you actually see Toyotas for sale with CP/AA working, *then*, and only then, can you call out Mazda for being the only carmaker not to support it. For all we know, Toyota (who is involved in a big joint venture with Mazda BTW) has simply learned their lesson from Mazda: claim you're going to support CP/AA "soon", and then just never deliver.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do we really need another separate thread about this? There is already a discussion thread For carplay and Android auto

·
Registered
468 Posts
i buy my car to drive it

i don't give a xxxx if it has bluenet, cartooth, wi-play, or skynet etc....

i have gps for navigation, a phone to communicate with and sometimes i even know where I'm going and i even talk to real people, in person................

·
Registered
59 Posts
i buy my car to drive it

i have gps for navigation, a phone to communicate with and sometimes i even know where I'm going and i even talk to real people, in person................
Thats great but as you can see there are tons of people who would like their driving experience to be even better with CP/AA.

But, still the lack of those features maybe wouldn't be so huge deal if we wouldn't be lied and fooled all the time. If Mazda had stated clearly that they wouldn't implement CP/AA into their cars, nobody could complain (they knew what they went for) but Mazda has been promising and many people bought theirs Mazda trusting that. Thats the point for me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nope. Toyota is the other one. Them "agreeing" doesn't mean anything: Mazda has also "agreed to launch" CarPlay and Android Auto: they did this *years* ago. No results yet.

When you actually see Toyotas for sale with CP/AA working, *then*, and only then, can you call out Mazda for being the only carmaker not to support it. For all we know, Toyota (who is involved in a big joint venture with Mazda BTW) has simply learned their lesson from Mazda: claim you're going to support CP/AA "soon", and then just never deliver.
Attainable Premium, Actualized: All-New 2019 Toyota Avalon Beams Effortless Sophistication, Style, and Exhilaration at the 2018 North American International Auto Show | Toyota USA Newsroom

As far as I know there's no "press release" from Mazda about supporting Carplay. The only thing we have is just a bunch of blogs with stories about AA/CP and Mazda, but there is not an official statement. Totoya did, published a press release and put dates on it. It's by far more than Mazda did.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i buy my car to drive it

I don't want all that stuff either, but I want a radio I can tune without parking the car, and a heater/AC I can adjust without taking my eyes off the road. My 2000 Miata has that, but my 2015 M3 doesn't. The amount of distraction in the M3 is frightening, and even more frightening when I'm riding my motorcycle, and most of all when my kid is riding her bike.

There's a reason that traffic fatalities are up 14% in the last two years, and it's not just cell phones and texting. That stuff has been around a lot longer than the recent increases in deaths.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't want all that stuff either, but I want a radio I can tune without parking the car, and a heater/AC I can adjust without taking my eyes off the road. My 2000 Miata has that, but my 2015 M3 doesn't. The amount of distraction in the M3 is frightening...
There's a reason that traffic fatalities are up 14% in the last two years, and it's not just cell phones and texting.
What are you talking about? I completely agree about touchscreens being overused in some models of cars these days, but the Mz3 doesn't use the touchscreen for HVAC, it has an entirely separate control panel with knobs and buttons for that. It's not perfect, but I'm completely able to reach over and turn the temperature up or down with the knob without looking at it. (Fan speed requires pressing up/down buttons so it's not quite as easy.) Are you thinking of some other car or something?

And I can tune the radio without parking the car too; it's entirely possible to do it with the commander knob. It's again not perfect, but honestly you shouldn't be manually tuning the radio much anyway, you should just have stations set as "favorites", and in a new area you can use the "scan" function.

The thing that sucks the most about the infotainment system (IMO) is the navigation. It's clunky to use, and doesn't have any kind of traffic updates. Google Maps is years ahead of it in usability; that's why I want Android Auto, so I can just use Google Maps or Waze through the large touchscreen. The other functions aren't great either; playing stuff off my USB thumb drive is pretty clunky too. But the Nav is the worst offender.

·
Registered
271 Posts
What are you talking about? I completely agree about touchscreens being overused in some models of cars these days, but the Mz3 doesn't use the touchscreen for HVAC, it has an entirely separate control panel with knobs and buttons for that. It's not perfect, but I'm completely able to reach over and turn the temperature up or down with the knob without looking at it. (Fan speed requires pressing up/down buttons so it's not quite as easy.) Are you thinking of some other car or something?
The HVAC doesn't use the touchscreen, but it's still horrible. In auto mode it randomly blows hot air in your face in the winter, cold in the summer. You can't turn the AC on or off without looking at it, or adjust the fan, or adjust the vents. You can't switch out the outside air without punching at least 2 buttons.
I can do all that with the HVAC in my 2000 Miata, and I only need to glance at the controls. The Miata needs to be adjusted far less frequently than the "automatic" controls in the M3 as well.
And I can tune the radio without parking the car too; it's entirely possible to do it with the commander knob. It's again not perfect, but honestly you shouldn't be manually tuning the radio much anyway, you should just have stations set as "favorites", and in a new area you can use the "scan" function.
All that requires looking at the touchscreen and working through multiple menus. I can do all that in my Miata without taking my eyes off the road.
The thing that sucks the most about the infotainment system (IMO) is the navigation.
The navigation is unusable, but it doesn't matter because my phone has at least 3 apps that work fine. What sucks is I can't put the phone screen on the dashboard screen.

AAA recently commissioned a study that found that all the 2017 cars had infotainment systems that were excessively distracting. The Mazda system had the highest cognitive requirement of all, and by a wide margin. There's a reason traffic fatalities are up 14% in the last two years.

The guys who designed these things never drove a car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can change the temperature, but can't see or feel what it is since the knob just spins infinitely without feedback. The numbers have no basis in reality. In manual mode 60 is no heat, 64 is full heat, so basically there's 4 notches for how hot the air mix should be. All of the buttons are flat and the same and useless without looking as they cannot be discovered by touch. Vent selection is especially frustrating. It's left/right buttons, but the indicators move in a circle, so it's never intuitive which buttons to push to go from floor to front vents, for instance. You either have to memorize the vent selections positionally on a circle and that left is clockwise (or is it counter-clockwise?), or you have to look at it and push a button until you get it where you want. (And what's with front defrost being its own button instead of just another vent selection?)

In my old Protege I could do everything without looking, even with gloves. 5 o'clock on the left knob is cold, 7 o'clock is hot, noon is medium. Similarly it was obvious what vent was selected and the fan speed by the physical knob position. A/C and rear defroster were buttons that popped up and down, had physical presence that could be felt, and were easy to find and distinguish due to the layout. The new auto A/C panel is just a big flat row of indistinguishable buttons and is impossible to use without looking. I can live the infotainment, but I hate the HVAC controls. (I also hate the too-bright orange indicator lights in the outside/recycle buttons that don't dim like everything else.) The only thing I like is how many fan speed steps there are, from very soft and quiet to very powerful.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wish my new car had a double DIN hole like that in the dashboard.
Yeah, that should be everyone's solution to this issue. Provide for a standard size and/or I/O port in the glovebox or something so the manufacturer's in-car system could be replaced, just as I replaced my tape deck with a CD player in my old Ford Tempo. The screen could stay, as could the commander knob; they just need to pass along standard values much like keyboards and mice do.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You can change the temperature, but can't see or feel what it is since the knob just spins infinitely without feedback. The numbers have no basis in reality. In manual mode 60 is no heat, 64 is full heat, so basically there's 4 notches for how hot the air mix should be.
That's weird, I don't have this problem at all. I never set mine to 60, and certainly have never had "full heat" as low as 64, or any time I didn't want it. All I do is set it to my preferred temperature (between 68 and 74) and leave it there, while manually turning the A/C on and off. It seems to work just fine for the most part, except I don't really like the "auto" mode too much as it frequently blasts cold air if the car isn't warmed up, and after that it sometimes wants to set the fan speed too high for my liking, so I usually control the fan speed manually.

All of the buttons are flat and the same and useless without looking as they cannot be discovered by touch. Vent selection is especially frustrating. It's left/right buttons, but the indicators move in a circle, so it's never intuitive which buttons to push to go from floor to front vents, for instance. You either have to memorize the vent selections positionally on a circle and that left is clockwise (or is it counter-clockwise?), or you have to look at it and push a button until you get it where you want. (And what's with front defrost being its own button instead of just another vent selection?)
The controls really aren't the best, but I can see that they didn't have a lot of space to play with, and I think this is the best they could do with a roughly DIN-sized panel. Cars with all-manual controls (which includes lower models of the Mz3) have it easier because there isn't as much to do, but these have dual zones and a lot of features. I had a mid-00s Volvo that was much better laid out with dual-zone automatic climate control, but those controls also took up a LOT of room. Mazda went for a lower dash line, and there's sacrifices with that. However, I think they probably could have done better if they omitted the stupid CD player (who uses those in cars these days?) and used that extra space for a larger HVAC panel.

Anyway, I've memorized the vent selections; I usually just leave it on face/feet anyway. Defrost I guess is treated as special because it also turns on the A/C compressor and cranks up the fan speed; when I use mine, I usually just turn it on for a bit to clear the windshield, then turn it off so it goes back to how I had it set, so I actually really like the toggle on/off nature of that button. It would be nice if I could find it by feel though.

In my old Protege I could do everything without looking, even with gloves. 5 o'clock on the left knob is cold, 7 o'clock is hot, noon is medium. Similarly it was obvious what vent was selected and the fan speed by the physical knob position. A/C and rear defroster were buttons that popped up and down, had physical presence that could be felt, and were easy to find and distinguish due to the layout. The new auto A/C panel is just a big flat row of indistinguishable buttons and is impossible to use without looking. I can live the infotainment, but I hate the HVAC controls.
Right, but your Protege didn't have dual-zone auto A/C. That's a lot more complex and requires more controls (especially dual knobs for driver and passenger). Mazda did offer you a version without the dual-zone system, which had controls very similar to your old Protege; you just had to buy the base model Mz3 to get it.

The only thing I like is how many fan speed steps there are, from very soft and quiet to very powerful.
Actually, that's one other thing I don't like as much as my old Volvo: it had probably twice as many fan speed steps. And a big knob to select them with. It looked like this:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts