2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm fairly certain CarPlay doesn't support the Google Maps app - it uses Apple's Map app, which is still fairly bad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone know who makes the mazda system? QNX lists them them as a client (and they both use the "infotainment" word ), and it looks like CarPlay will be able to run over or alongside QNX systems: Apple's CarPlay Works Alongside BlackBerry's QNX Car Platform - Mac Rumors

Hopes are not high for seeing a big change like this on existing Mazdas, but I would love to have it. My experience in my 2014 3 has been pretty poor so far. Maps pretty much useless for finding a new destination while on the road. Music app never picks up track or album listings and is worthless for scrolling though large lists. XM has disconnected multiple times. Bluetooth audio quality is bad (though that might just be a bluetooth thing), and the system crashes intermittently… deleting all of my favorites. Pretty much solely using my iPhone with Siri for nav and music because of it already.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm fairly certain CarPlay doesn't support the Google Maps app - it uses Apple's Map app, which is still fairly bad.
In an ideal world, to be agnostic to whatever device you have - iPhone/Android/Windows/BBY, Mazda could have spent time and energy on an application that does app screencasting via Bluetooth or USB. So instead of trying to build partnerships and make custom app integrations, the job would be in supporting as many devices as possible and basically writing pixel and touch zone transformations.

A considerable side effect would be a result of such a wide variety of screen sizes - how do you determine the size of the infotainment screen. That'll be tough and whatever you choose you'll get black bars on the top and bottom on most devices except one or two they were optimized for.

Mazda picked the "other" agnostic approach to just ignore everyone else and go with Naviextras. It does make sense once you think about it. Even if all the car manufacturers supported a thunderbolt and USB 3.0 dock system, so that any tablet can double as your navigation system - how about connecting your phone? Which screen do the phone contacts show up? How do you make a universal physical controller?

Until Microsoft/Google/Apple play nice, we won't see much change in the strategy the manufacturers are taking.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think they would make ugly babies and I dislike Apple.

I do own an Ipad but only for A custom remote setup in my theater room.

Kenwood or Alpine I would prefer. Ford had Sony and they seriously screwed that up.
I have always loved Alpine and Kenwood and think they would be better fitted to the task.

Apples integration with anything non apple is often troublesome. I would hate to have problems with my Galaxy S4 now.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hey, Today Toyota announced they are dropping the current Entune system and getting Apples CarPlay.

Must be a better system.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Apples does not play well with Android. How about an android based system?
Or better yet a third party like Kenwood that want's to work well with both?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I won't lie if Mazda partnered with Apple, I would rip the factory entertainment system out and put in something aftermarket. The closed-mindedness of Apple would be a horrible thing for the automotive industry. Mazda and other companies need to go with an open platform or they risk alienating potential customers.

·
... Is Watching.
384 Posts
I won't lie if Mazda partnered with Apple, I would rip the factory entertainment system out and put in something aftermarket. The closed-mindedness of Apple would be a horrible thing for the automotive industry. Mazda and other companies need to go with an open platform or they risk alienating potential customers.
That's ok then, as they are using OpenCar instead.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hey, Today Toyota announced they are dropping the current Entune system and getting Apples CarPlay.

Must be a better system.
Because Toyota always puts the best stuff in their cars? LOL.

All Toyota putting in their car means is that it's great for old people and people who can't drive.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Because Toyota always puts the best stuff in their cars? LOL.

All Toyota putting in their car means is that it's great for old people and people who can't drive.
Actually, we old people buy Mazda's, too. And being old and disliking Apple is fairly common. In fact, young people are the primary buyers of Apple products because they don't know any better. As for the statement regarding Toyota not putting the best stuff in their cars I couldn't agree more. Perhaps all of those people who complain about Mazda not working well with Apple should buy a Toyota instead.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts