2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Was wondering if anyone has spent anytime reverse engineering the phone to server connection?

I sort of hate Mazda's app... a lot, and am looking to replace it with my own.

I have managed to get it reverse engineered enough to start my car from a python script, which I can sanitize and post if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
I would like to try mobile start, please post the script you have.
thanks.
You need the hardware and an active subscription to Mazda Mobile Start for this to work, as it works over the cell network.
You also need to get your phoneId by man in the middling your connection from your phone to mazda's servers.

It seems I can't post links, or the code to this site?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey,
Was wondering if anyone has spent anytime reverse engineering the phone to server connection?

I have managed to get it reverse engineered enough to start my car from a python script, which I can sanitize and post if anyone is interested.
I am interested in this as I hate my Mobile Start as well. Too many screens to go through and it takes too long.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,

That's awesome! I was just looking into how to do that myself (running strace to sniff system calls / attaching with a remote debugger). Would you be able to post your code on GitHub? I was thinking of developing my own Android app that would be way better than the official one, and this would help immensely! :)

The other avenue I was thinking was trying to sniff the serial lines between the MMS controller and the cell modem (if possible) to see if I could somehow generate the signals to start my car remotely without requiring Mazda's servers at all. Either by putting my own device in-the-loop, or by mimicking the MMS server messages to the cell modem.

There is a chance they do some sort of encryption / hashing that would be difficult / hard to fake, but judging by how half-baked the rest of the system is, I bet there is little-to-no security on the car side of things!

Regards,

Paul

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts