2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stumbled upon this video from Mazda Australia, on Youtube...

Mazda Genuine Mobile Phone Holder
(edit: how do I embed videos from youtube?? i've seen it done before)

now, I know they may avoid stuff like this in the US for safety reasons.... but honestly, why are there so few accessories for the Mazda 3 in US.... it seems like other countries have so many other options, and it not like Mazda US informs us of them or helps us get some of that stuff... even if they did have to ship it from Japan to get it here....

It seems ridiculous that they don't have the different countries working together to get the products to the consumers... there are only Sooo many mazda drivers....

I know there are some differences between countries, like that phone holder may not work for me since its made for a person on the right side... but there are other things that should be available, I mean, does Mazda have such a poor grasp on the US market? that they focus resources in other countries and make it difficult for me to get what I want for my car??

I've been trying to find a decent place to fit my phone into my car ever since I got it... I play 90% of my music from my phone through auxilary and I still press the buttons to change songs.... I don't want to mount it on the windshield, but something like that video would be nice, as long as it doesn't lose me a cup holder.....

I just wish Mazda was more integrated with their accessories.... :death:

You'd think that by 2014, an industry as relevant as car manufacturing would have a stronger foot hold in getting their products to the consumers through computers.... meh...

What have you guys done about your phones in your car?? I've been looking for a solution for a while...

·
Registered
752 Posts
mazda has less of a market share in the US than mercedes or BMW.. so their focus is not here as much as it is elsewhere. IMO I wouldnt want my phone that close to my drink anyway.. phones are expensive

Reactions: username375

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
First of all, I highly recommend the Kuda phone holder as it is located in a perfect position where it doesn't block anything and is away from the cupholders. Secondly, I have the Mazda rear parking sensors and third party front parking sensors in my car (I've included a How-To on the fronts). In Australia, you can get two versions of the sensors -- one that's integrated into the infotainment system and one that is not. The U.S. version is not. I need these because I lost the vision in one eye due to military service and cannot judge close distances (although my brain compensates for longer distances). I do like the Mazda front sensors in Australia because they are integrated into the car's systems and turn off at higher speeds which prevents the system going off if it is raining hard. I removed the buzzer on mine since I only use the visual display anyway -- I am always looking forward when I need to know that distance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Similarly, my friend who has an older Mazda3 has a phone holder that hooks on into the CD player. The base of the holder is shaped like a CD so that the player takes it. Interesting concept. Helpful because the CD player is high up on the center console, but these seem silly if you just use bluetooth.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mazda has less of a market share in the US than mercedes or BMW.. so their focus is not here as much as it is elsewhere. IMO I wouldnt want my phone that close to my drink anyway.. phones are expensive
Yea, that's pretty much what I figured.... still, when they are manufacturing the products for other countries ANYWAY, they might as well at least put them on a master list of available accessories.

Even if I have to pay a bit more for shipping it from another country, I know it's a niche market, but it can't be too difficult to put a few products on a webpage for the customers sake : \

First of all, I highly recommend the Kuda phone holder as it is located in a perfect position where it doesn't block anything and is away from the cupholders.
hmmmm, that Kuda holder doesn't look too bad, as long as the color matches.

I think it might bother me leaving it there though, it kinda looks odd/out of place, and $66.10 is a bit for something I may not always use... maybe ill check Craigslist for one...

I was looking for something more like these:

That way I can adjust it to a good position... but I haven't been able to convince myself to get one yet, I'm concerned that the neck won't be strong enough for motion in the car....

Still, $12.99 isn't a bad price if it works well...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Similarly, my friend who has an older Mazda3 has a phone holder that hooks on into the CD player. The base of the holder is shaped like a CD so that the player takes it. Interesting concept. Helpful because the CD player is high up on the center console, but these seem silly if you just use bluetooth.
Wow, what was it called? I never use my CD, if the neck is long enough I might like something like this...

I was actually thinking about removing the CD player to use for extra storage... but it requires a Special Service tool from mazda...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
hmmmm, that Kuda holder doesn't look too bad, as long as the color matches.

I think it might bother me leaving it there though, it kinda looks odd/out of place, and $66.10 is a bit for something I may not always use... maybe ill check Craigslist for one...

I was looking for something more like these:

That way I can adjust it to a good position... but I haven't been able to convince myself to get one yet, I'm concerned that the neck won't be strong enough for motion in the car....

Still, $12.99 isn't a bad price if it works well...
The Kuda holder matches extremely well -- I have it installed in my car. I used a ProClip mount because I like things well designed. I did once try one of those mounts that hook onto the seat bolt with a long stem. It drove me crazy as the phone would move back and forth while driving. You pay for what you get. The Kuda is custom designed specifically for our car. And the screw that holds it is hidden so if you want to remove it, it leaves no visible holes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the same setup (Kuda with Proclip) as rvoll, but I also ran a USB extension port up the center console so that I can plug the phone in to charge.

Some pics:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I have the same setup (Kuda with Proclip) as rvoll, but I also ran a USB extension port up the center console so that I can plug the phone in to charge.
I also ran a cable behind the dash to the fuse panel so it wouldn't be seen. That gave me an added accessory circuit because I used a add-a-circuit fuse tap. I used that tap to power accessory power outlets, a radar detector, front parking sensors, and the LOC for my subwoofer (but not the subwoofer itself). The benefit of that arrangement is that this circuit is only on when the ignition is on. The USB plug in the center console did not have enough amps to charge my phone quickly enough.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow, what was it called? I never use my CD, if the neck is long enough I might like something like this...

I was actually thinking about removing the CD player to use for extra storage... but it requires a Special Service tool from mazda...
He said he just got it off of Amazon. There's a bunch of different ones they have. I don't know how useful it would be since our CD players are a bit lower than the older generations. But I guess it could work there too.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

I too tried the cd mount thing from amazon, I didn't like it that much, blocks some of the a/c buttons and can't use the tiny storage area under cd player so ended up returning it.

Amazon.com: Mountek nGroove Universal CD Slot Mount for Cell Phones and GPS Devices: MP3 Players & Accessories

I might try the kuda mount, just waiting on getting a new phone right now and see if I can reuse my proclip mount lol

@rvoll or @fw_fw so the kuda mount there's a screw that goes on the side of the glove box, do I need to get a drill for it?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I too tried the cd mount thing from amazon, I didn't like it that much, blocks some of the a/c buttons and can't use the tiny storage area under cd player so ended up returning it.

Amazon.com: Mountek nGroove Universal CD Slot Mount for Cell Phones and GPS Devices: MP3 Players & Accessories

I might try the kuda mount, just waiting on getting a new phone right now and see if I can reuse my proclip mount lol

@rvoll or @fw_fw so the kuda mount there's a screw that goes on the side of the glove box, do I need to get a drill for it?
The best way to install that one screw is to drill a small pilot hole with a drill slightly smaller than the screw. I can't remember what size drill I used, but it really doesn't make much difference. Since it is plastic, you may be able to just self tap it, but as a matter of course, I never do it that because more things crack when you do it that way.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The best way to install that one screw is to drill a small pilot hole with a drill slightly smaller than the screw. I can't remember what size drill I used, but it really doesn't make much difference. Since it is plastic, you may be able to just self tap it, but as a matter of course, I never do it that because more things crack when you do it that way.
I see, thanks. I might need to borrow a drill or something if I do, was thinking I can just use double sided tape or something lol

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've been extremely happy with this windshield mount. I'm not generally a fan of mounting to the windshield, but if I'm using the Waze navi app/speed trap finder, I like to be able to see what's ahead.

I mount it high up, next to the rearview mirror on the windshield, just to the right of the mirror, so I can check it with just a glance.

I've had it for about a year and it hasn't fallen off the windshield, nor does it bounce around. There are a lot worse ways to spend $20.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been extremely happy with this windshield mount. I'm not generally a fan of mounting to the windshield, but if I'm using the Waze navi app/speed trap finder, I like to be able to see what's ahead.

I mount it high up, next to the rearview mirror on the windshield, just to the right of the mirror, so I can check it with just a glance.

I've had it for about a year and it hasn't fallen off the windshield, nor does it bounce around. There are a lot worse ways to spend $20.
That looks nice, it says it can hold the "leather trim" dash material apparently.... that would be nice to try out, if I could get it a bit lower down on the dash and have it stick... maybe

thanks

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Actually, if you have the 2014 mazda 3 can you test to see if it sticks for me?

here is the pic:

I circled where I would like to test, its a relatively flat surface.... it may not work but if you have it, it would be cool to see how well it sticks on the trim material....

if not try further up the trim, or on other parts to see if it sticks.... thanks!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Actually, if you have the 2014 mazda 3 can you test to see if it sticks for me?

here is the pic:

I circled where I would like to test, its a relatively flat surface.... it may not work but if you have it, it would be cool to see how well it sticks on the trim material....

if not try further up the trim, or on other parts to see if it sticks.... thanks!

Only problem is, I don't have the 2014 3, yet. But that's a whole 'nother story... ;)

I haven't tried it on the dash or trim, but I'll give it a shot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts