2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post in the forum. I recently purchased my first car, A 2007 Mazda3 hatchback Automatic. I love my car a lot, but unfortunately someone has played a very cruel prank by breaking the gas tank cap and poured in a lot of sugar and closed the outer lid back again. I drove it around with out knowing this and only noticed it when I went to top up fuel. I immediately took the car to a garage to get it fixed. The guy said he'd get back to me soon but I'm freaking out, so I thought it best to share this and get some feedback if anyone has any information regarding this. I've read online that the fuel filter would block the sugar since it would not dissolve in petrol. But iam not sure if that's the case.
Please it would be great if anyone has any feed back on this.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi all,

This is my first post in the forum. I recently purchased my first car, A 2007 Mazda3 hatchback Automatic. I love my car a lot, but unfortunately someone has played a very cruel prank by breaking the gas tank cap and poured in a lot of sugar and closed the outer lid back again. I drove it around with out knowing this and only noticed it when I went to top up fuel. I immediately took the car to a garage to get it fixed. The guy said he'd get back to me soon but I'm freaking out, so I thought it best to share this and get some feedback if anyone has any information regarding this. I've read online that the fuel filter would block the sugar since it would not dissolve in petrol. But iam not sure if that's the case.
Please it would be great if anyone has any feed back on this.
Back in the '80s my HS auto shop teacher debunked the myth that adding sugar to a gas tank would add power to an engine. Yes, us kids believed the popular myths at the time. He said sugar won't dissolve in gas.

Is there a way of draining and flushing the tank without removing it?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I can only think of disconnecting the fuel delivery line from the engine and draining/pumping the tank dry- you may need a temporary feed to the fuel pump to do this or hook up an external pump.

The tank will almost certainly incorporate anti syphon provisions which will stop pumping out through the filler.

Sugar in fuel was bad enough in the days when it used to crystallise out in carburettor jets- hate to see what it would do to a fuel injector.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you have full coverage insurance? Do you know who did it? That's a lot of $$ worth of damage. Fuel system completely needs to be purged, new fuel pump and possibly new injectors. Sorry man - You F'ed!

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 3 i Hatchback
160 Posts
Honestly, if you've been driving it and not having any noticeable problems, I wouldn't be too worried about the engine. I would drain and drop the fuel tank, flush the sugar out, drain/flush the fuel lines, change the fuel filters and not sweat it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Do you have full coverage insurance? Do you know who did it? That's a lot of $$ worth of damage. Fuel system completely needs to be purged, new fuel pump and possibly new injectors. Sorry man - You F'ed!
Modern fuel pumps are located in the fuel tank. They typically have several built-in filters which work in stages, meaning larger particles are filtered first and then gradually in size. The pressure regulator acts as a final stage filter.

Sugar is heavy, so it's doubtful any of the crystals would have been picked up by the pump's operation, let alone passing through the various filters to make it to the injectors. The only way this can be properly addressed is for the fuel tank to be dropped and flushed. It's not a difficult jobs, just time consuming if the tank has a large amount of fuel in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts