2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

(A little background)

During the whole 'cash for clunkers' thing, my GF was shopping for a car. Her mom was like 'get a toyota' but it was a little too 'ho-hum' for our tastes. We checked out Mazdas and picked up a 2010 3s with fair options for a pretty good price.

Last month she was driving on the highway and got cut off by a DB in a red truck. When they swerved out of her way, there was a Mercedes E-class *STOPPED* on the freeway. She braced for impact and left about 40' of super dark, evenly spaced skidmarks on the ridged asphalt before hitting it. The front end buckled, radiator exploded, airbag deployed and the whole deal.

Besides a red mark on her chest, and a bruise from the lap belt she was perfectly fine.

Replacing all the front end parts cost about $10,000 (68% of the value of the car). It's back together now, and though I'd have preferred they total it and she get a new one, we would definitely buy another Mazda if the time came.

The car gets like 30+mpg, and protected her in the accident so it's definitely done its job. Well done Mazda.

·
Making People Mad
832 Posts
They didn't total it? I'm surprised!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Her insurance company (a MAJOR one, not dashers or the general) said the damage has to exceed 70% of the blue book value of the vehicle for them to total it. The stuff they replaced (all OEM parts) added up to about 68%. Trust me, if I'd have known that before I dropped it off I'd have kicked the door in.

Keep this in mind next time you're insurance shopping...definitely made me re-evaluate my insurance company...

·
Peanutbutter Jelly!!!
361 Posts
Interesting. Yeah, I guess it can vary from one carrier to another. I just know that one company I'm appointed with (i sell insurance) seems to total vehicles out pretty quick so... but I don't get my insurance through them. They wanted like 370 down and like 260/month. Travelers was 134/month. I'm with USAA and it's $84/mo for 100k/300k/100k w/ 5k med pay and $0 deduct + towing and labor and rental coverage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I traded in my BMW for a speed3 because it has 13.000 in damage guy pulled out in front of my at 50mph. They didnt total it but i wasnt taking the chance keeping it. Glad to hear shes ok!

·
Street Unit - Ninja Killa
507 Posts
wow the disappearing trunk.. I did not know that was a option....

·
Registered
347 Posts
Not trying to be a wet blanket here but the above pics remind me of a local crash that happened back in October, only with more severity. The alleged drunk rear-ended the car going about 45-50 MPH while the 2010 Mazda3 was stopped, waiting at a traffic light. Backseat passanger was not so fortunate: he succumbed to his inuries a few days later.

·
Street Unit - Ninja Killa
507 Posts
that is very sad. I hate to hear that someone lost their life. This stuff really pisses me off, I did not fight for this country for people to be dumb and irresponsible. I hope that drunk driver gets life.

- sorry just to rant this shit just really bothers me..

also glad everyone made it safe to the OP

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So we traded in the 2010 for a 2011 with more bells and whistles shortly after the crash. Last week I picked up a 2013 hatch based on our experiences with Mazda so far. 29k on the 2011 with no issues or problems. I'll edit the orig. post with pics of the damage from the crash since we all know threads are worthless without pics. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts