2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Anybody who signs up for this service is nuts........Has anybody read through the terms and conditions?
Did you ever read terms of conditions of Facebook, Google or even this forum? I don't think so.

Once you sign on the dotted line, Mazda can change the agreement whenever it wants without telling you.
They have to tell us, at least in Europe, otherwise they'd pay big fines. You can't change agreement without notifying the users here. If it's allowed in the US then well Mazda just abides to the law I guess?

If you cancel your subscription they still collect data regardless.They can cancel your plan without reason and there is nothing you can do about it. They retain the right to forward collected data to the police if they think you are doing something illegal....using a remote start system to warm up your car is specifically mentioned.....

Exactly why there are OEM remote starters installed by the dealers. Oh come on.

Mazda uses 3rd party providers and you have zero recourse against anything they do. There is no warranty that any information provided through the system is correct. Mazda can not be held liable for damages resulting from information errors even if they are aware that the information is incorrect.

No product liability claims for any reason, you cannot bring a claim against Mazda except states where such prohibitions are not allowed, and in the event that you do manage to win a claim against Mazda, you only get a refund for the cost of the Connectivity service.
In europe we do have law allowing to be forgotten. One mail and they have to wipe everything out. They will also get fined if the data is leaked.
There are companies paying fines up to 228 mln $ already for breaking this law.
Again, could be that its not the case in the US.

No product liability claims for any reason, you cannot bring a claim against Mazda except states where such prohibitions are not allowed, and in the event that you do manage to win a claim against Mazda, you only get a refund for the cost of the Connectivity service.
And big fines - again, at least in Europe.

I recommend you go and read ToS of your most used apps. Even Windows 10 saves almost everything you do unless you use special software to turn telemetrics off. What Mazda will collect is most likely already being collected by other companies, or isn't of that significance compared to what those companies collect.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anybody who signs up for this service is nuts........Has anybody read through the terms and conditions? Once you sign on the dotted line, Mazda can change the agreement whenever it wants without telling you. If you cancel your subscription they still collect data regardless.They can cancel your plan without reason and there is nothing you can do about it. They retain the right to forward collected data to the police if they think you are doing something illegal....using a remote start system to warm up your car is specifically mentioned.....
Knowing my 3 has a TCU installed I became interested in what Mazda might be doing with it following discussion of a murder trial on a couple of UK forums. Key evidence for the prosecution came from the TCU fitted as standard to the defendant's car.

He claimed it had been stolen some time before being found burnt out on a beach. The car was totally destroyed but the manufacturer (not Mazda) provided the police with a complete history of its operation. This showed not only that it was driven directly from his home to the beach shortly after the murder but it made an identical journey to the beach and back the night before as a rehearsal. The data included even the precise time and location of every door opening, ending with opening the hatch immediately before the car was destroyed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did you ever read terms of conditions of Facebook, Google or even this forum? I don't think so.

I recommend you go and read ToS of your most used apps. ]
Almost every supplier of anything now goes out of their way to do everything possible within the law to make it as difficult as possible to understand their terms and conditions and to refuse to accept them. Microsoft invented this years ago with their software licence terms but at least with those you can read them at leisure on your PC. When you take delivery of a new car you are presented with numerous forms to sign each of which has the back covered in small print. These days the small print probably includes web links like the ones I posted previously referring you to complex legal documents. Even if you sit for hours checking the terms the chances are that neither the salesman nor his manager will have any idea what to do if you delete parts of the terms or refuse to sign.

To Mazda USA's credit their terms provide a phone number allowing you to opt out of the automatic data collection and transmission. The guys on this forum are probably more on the ball than most Mazda purchasers. How many USA owners on here with a current Mazda model know about the phone number - or even what they might want to opt out of?

·
Super Moderator
4,902 Posts

They have to tell us, at least in Europe, otherwise they'd pay big fines. You can't change agreement without notifying the users here. If it's allowed in the US then well Mazda just abides to the law I guess?

Exactly why there are OEM remote starters installed by the dealers. Oh come on.

In europe we do have law allowing to be forgotten. One mail and they have to wipe everything out. They will also get fined if the data is leaked.
There are companies paying fines up to 228 mln $ already for breaking this law.
Again, could be that its not the case in the US.

And big fines - again, at least in Europe.

I recommend you go and read ToS of your most used apps. Even Windows 10 saves almost everything you do unless you use special software to turn telemetrics off. What Mazda will collect is most likely already being collected by other companies, or isn't of that significance compared to what those companies collect.
The TOS in the link has nothing to do with Europe. The documents are for US customers only. Nothing there is relevant at all to European laws.
Doesn't seem to matter what laws do or don't apply anyhow as part of the agreement is that Mazda can knowingly violate those laws and you can't do a thing about it......

To Mazda USA's credit their terms provide a phone number allowing you to opt out of the automatic data collection and transmission. The guys on this forum are probably more on the ball than most Mazda purchasers. How many USA owners on here with a current Mazda model know about the phone number - or even what they might want to opt out of?
You can't prevent them from collecting data. The TOS says that certain data will be collected regardless even if you cancel your subscription. If Mazda does the same thing as other car makers do, when you buy the car you will get a free 90 day subscription. You have to call and cancel before the 90 days is up or you'll automatically be enrolled. If you call and tell them you don't want it, that means you are cancelling your subscription, so Mazda still gets to collect the data....

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can't prevent them from collecting data. The TOS says that certain data will be collected regardless even if you cancel your subscription. If Mazda does the same thing as other car makers do, when you buy the car you will get a free 90 day subscription. You have to call and cancel before the 90 days is up or you'll automatically be enrolled. If you call and tell them you don't want it, that means you are cancelling your subscription, so Mazda still gets to collect the data....
Here is the relevant section of the privacy policy:

You are correct that cancelling the subscription service will not stop automatic collection of the default data but I read the default data as totally independent from the subscription services. In fact it even appears to be independent of ownership of the car. However, the text at the bottom of that section does say they will disable the default data collection on request by phone. Of course the owner can only ask if they know what Mazda are doing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Doesn't seem to matter what laws do or don't apply anyhow as part of the agreement is that Mazda can knowingly violate those laws and you can't do a thing about it......

The moment someone finds out his car sends out data to manufcaturer without his consent (and it's not like people aren't probably hacking it already. eh?) will result in super high fines, as noted earlier.
You can't prevent them from collecting data
Yes I can.Even here, on this page, I have to submit preferences for each and every cookie I leave. Not sure if you have it in the US, but in EU every single page has it (or blocks access for people from the EU, that big deal it is)

·
Super Moderator
4,902 Posts
The moment someone finds out his car sends out data to manufcaturer without his consent (and it's not like people aren't probably hacking it already. eh?) will result in super high fines, as noted earlier.

Yes I can.Even here, on this page, I have to submit preferences for each and every cookie I leave. Not sure if you have it in the US, but in EU every single page has it (or blocks access for people from the EU, that big deal it is)
You need to reread the documents. They can do whatever they want regardless of the legality and you have no recourse.
Again, this document applies only to car owners in the United States. Its not applicable to any other country, so stop trying to make it apply to to you in your country....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey, sorry, but may I ask how you access this screen?
Press and hold the mute button for 2 seconds, then press and hold the music+favorites buttons while continuing to hold the mute button until it brings up the diagnostic menu.
Note: This screen is not meant to be accessed by the end user so explore at your own risk.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You need to reread the documents. They can do whatever they want regardless of the legality and you have no recourse.
Again, this document applies only to car owners in the United States. Its not applicable to any other country, so stop trying to make it apply to to you in your country....
One of the features of Mazda's documentation over many years is its obsession with covering every possible legal or safety issue. I would be surprised if they now installed and operated a system (i.e. the TCU) without the owner's consent, especially as it is activated for automatic data transmission by Mazda independently of their dealers.

My guess is that their US lawyers have buried a generic clause somewhere in the paperwork you sign on taking delivery to cover their backs. Coupled with notification of the right to opt out in the 2020 manual (post #11) and the current privacy policy (post #25) that probably prevents even you guys from successfully suing them for breach of privacy. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,902 Posts
probably prevents even you guys from successfully suing them for breach of privacy. :)
Actually, it excludes you from entering into any court action against Mazda except small claims court, including class action lawsuits. In addition, for any court action you need to either go to Orange County CA or seek a change of venue order to relocate the court action to legal jurisdiction nearer to you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Actually, it excludes you from entering into any court action against Mazda except small claims court, including class action lawsuits. In addition, for any court action you need to either go to Orange County CA or seek a change of venue order to relocate the court action to legal jurisdiction nearer to you.
Actually it doesn't exclude you from anything until you have carried out some action which subsequently proves you accepted their terms. That's why websites and software programs try to force you to click a button which signifies acceptance of their terms, licence, etc. Many of them even make you confirm you read their terms first so you cannot later claim ignorance.

Also why in my previous post I guessed that Mazda's USA lawyers may have buried an appropriate generic clause somewhere in the stuff you sign when taking delivery of your already data-activated car.

·
Super Moderator
4,902 Posts
Actually it doesn't exclude you from anything until you have carried out some action which subsequently proves you accepted their terms. That's why websites and software programs try to force you to click a button which signifies acceptance of their terms, licence, etc. Many of them even make you confirm you read their terms first so you cannot later claim ignorance.

Also why in my previous post I guessed that Mazda's USA lawyers may have buried an appropriate generic clause somewhere in the stuff you sign when taking delivery of your already data-activated car.

It doesn't matter if you have accepted the terms or not, agreeing in this case means is that you acknowledge that you have read them. Mazda can change or violate the terms at will without recourse, so whats the point of actually accepting them.....
Your subscription begins when you buy the car. From what I can see you get 3 years of "complimentary" service, (which incidentally coincides with the length of the warranty, so don't think they won't scrutinize your info with a microscope to avoid warranty claims) which means its already a done deal when you get the car. So, as it says in the Privacy Policy, Mazda still gets to collect information because even if you cancel the service the Terms and Conditions says they can. Your "subscription" comes with the car and was activated by you purchasing the car. As a result you are bound by the terms, so there is little chance anything will ever go to court. There isn't much of a way to avoid this.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 3 iTouring, 2016 Mazda 3 iTouring, 2017 Mazda 3 Grand Touring, 2019 Mazda 3 AWD Premium
39 Posts
Commander Touchpad? Is that mean we have touch pad on the big knob like the Chinese version of the mazda 3? I hope we can write on the touchpad soon if that is what I think it is !

·
Registered
140 Posts
Commander Touchpad? Is that mean we have touch pad on the big knob like the Chinese version of the mazda 3? I hope we can write on the touchpad soon it that is what I think it is !
I don't think so, I think it's just the name for the knob. Considering the search functions revolve around the voice recognition (that never works) and scrolling the knob.

It would be super cool and audi-like if it turned out the knob was a touch pad but I hella doubt it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I skimmed through the thread and it sounds like all USA 2019/2020 Mazda 3's will have this capability, but I didn't see any confirmation that this will allow remote start?

This would be a great option for me, I don't want to shell out $500+ for a remote start considering I'm just leasing the car for 3 years.

Regarding the data collection, I personally don't care. There's really nothing I care about them knowing, unless there's more than meets the eye that they're collecting like personal information from cameras or from my phone, but I do wholeheartedly despise the fact that they're collecting it and will likely resell it. Customer privacy is just nonexistent to these companies it seems

21 - 40 of 59 Posts