2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
201 - 220 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's pretty easy to know go back to the showroom and try to start Carplay setup if the system responds to enable WiFI and search for available Bluetooth devices you know it's got it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I finally installed the retro kit I bought from ebay. All seems to be in a working condition. I have used the drilling method seen from YouTube and it somewhat worked out for me. I noted after that one need to drill in bit deeper to break off the tabs, using a extension would have made it easier.

One thing I realized is how crappy display on 2016 is, low resolution, washed out alike colour.
Not sure if it looks different on other manufacturer vehicles but I wish the android app itself was bit more contrasting colour.

Also, I noticed that listening to car radio and using AA navigation breaks google map nav voice as in audio cuts off before fully pronouncing the street name.

Other than that.. it's cool.

Sorry to talk so much about non firmware talk

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
/\ Being in Canada, I take it you have latest Firmware 74.00.230A NA N installed?
Android Auto App is up to date and your phone and your charge cable are fairly recent or new.
If all is yes, I would then do a Screen Factory Reset, then shut down Car (off and lock it), remove Negative Battery Cable for a few hours or even overnight, reconnect and then start a fresh.
This will clear out any DTC's that may exist in Engine ECU, and between IC and CMU and clears out any cache.
Let us know if you find any improvement.

Reactions: andrep

·
Registered
13 Posts
/\ Being in Canada, I take it you have latest Firmware 74.00.230A NA N installed?
Android Auto App is up to date and your phone and your charge cable are fairly recent or new.
If all is yes, I would then do a Screen Factory Reset, then shut down Car (off and lock it), remove Negative Battery Cable for a few hours or even overnight, reconnect and then start a fresh.
This will clear out any DTC's that may exist in Engine ECU, and between IC and CMU and clears out any cache.
I actually have 70.00.367A NA N firmware installed. Should I upgrade to v74.xxx.xxx ? I remember reading somewhere that using v74 on smaller display like my 2016 model would make UI stretched? or compressed or something? or I am wrong?

I am using a Google Pixel 4A + red USB-C cable from my old OnePlus 3 days. I have tried screen factory reset only.

I will try the battery disconnect method and see what will happen.

·
Banned
92 Posts
I actually have 70.00.367A NA N firmware installed. Should I upgrade to v74.xxx.xxx ? I remember reading somewhere that using v74 on smaller display like my 2016 model would make UI stretched? or compressed or something? or I am wrong?
@xxgg
If you like/enjoy the extra large and over stretched (safe mode style) icons, AA navigation bar display/dpi at 141 (fw70-fw70.00.367 AA dpi = 132) of fw74 on your headunit - see photos/screenshots of AA with FW 74 before upgrading - e.g. here: Firmware 74.00.230A apparently tweaks DPI for Android... enjoy!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just asking to double check before I brick anything. The 74FW is an update for all the head units. BUT, you only get wireless if you upgrade to one of the wireless head units from 2021. (Meaning that the updated hardware to run factory AA is not itself sufficient to run wireless).

Is there any benefit for the older head units for updating from the 70FW to the 74FW? Is there any risk (other than the usual risk associated with FW updates)? And it is okay to go directly from version 70.00.352 to 74.00.230? (NA N versions)

·
Banned
92 Posts
@MZD3Fan
The 74FW is an update for all the head units. BUT, you only get wireless CP if you have the newer CMU hardware from 2021 with this 74FW. (Meaning that the older CMU hardware to run wireless CP do not have this feature on its pcb).
correct.
Is there any benefit for the older head units for updating from the 70FW to the 74FW? Is there any risk (other than the usual risk associated with FW updates)? And it is okay to go directly from version 70.00.352 to 74.00.230? (NA N versions)
mainly bug fixes, you probably won't notice any differences whatsoever. You can upgrade/downgrade from .352 to fw74 as many time directly as you wishes, just follow the instructions. Other Benefit is enlarge UI for AA/CP if you have difficulty seeing the icons and fonts of current version . E.g here -> Firmware 74.00.230A apparently tweaks DPI for Android...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Update:
I have updated to firmware v74, & battery disconnect. V74 does make things larger but I guess the limitation is the low resolution, low colour bit of factory display that is making google map, Waze street/ names bit blurry. Alwwys using dark/ night mode does help due to its colour contrast but minor improvement.
Seems update to AA app could help a bit if google can be bothered.

I do not see any changes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey,
you are located in the Netherlands? You need the EU-Version? What MZD-Version is installed now?

Bye
Gruni
Hey, thanks for the quick response. When I go to "System Update" it shows OS Version is 70.00.352 NA N. But CarPlay is not enabled or even a selectable option in the Applications menu, with my iPhone connected and my parking brake on.

·
Registered
Mazda3 04/2017 BN 120 HP Sports-Line
40 Posts
Hey, thanks for the quick response. When I go to "System Update" it shows OS Version is 70.00.352 NA N. But CarPlay is not enabled or even a selectable option in the Applications menu, with my iPhone connected and my parking brake on.
Hey WantCarplay,
sorry for my bad english. Did you built-in the hardware-Kit by yourself? You worked the "right direction"? 1. Update to Version 70......100 or higher, then installed the 2 cables to the MCD and then installed the USB-Hub in the Arm-rest-console? Did you use the Mazda-ORIGINAL-Hardware bought from your local Dealer, or the "china-alibaba-kit"? Did you checked the cable are clicked-in right and use the right cable-colour to the right port? I did this procedure twice by myself at my 2 Mazda3 2.0 BN from 07/2017 and had NO probs with it, but bought the Kits from Mazda-Dealers.

We need more input what was done und already checked by yourself. :)

Bye
Gruni

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey WantCarplay,
sorry for my bad english. Did you built-in the hardware-Kit by yourself? You worked the "right direction"? 1. Update to Version 70......100 or higher, then installed the 2 cables to the MCD and then installed the USB-Hub in the Arm-rest-console? Did you use the Mazda-ORIGINAL-Hardware bought from your local Dealer, or the "china-alibaba-kit"? Did you checked the cable are clicked-in right and use the right cable-colour to the right port? I did this procedure twice by myself at my 2 Mazda3 2.0 BN from 07/2017 and had NO probs with it, but bought the Kits from Mazda-Dealers.

We need more input what was done und already checked by yourself. :)

Bye
Gruni
Good questions. I've got a 2020 model, which I'd thought supported CarPlay by default, but maybe I'm mistaken on that. I have not installed any new hardware, here's the USB connection hardware: (note: I'm driving a CX-9, I know I'm in the wrong forum, but I also assumed the Mazda Connect firmware and setup are common across models). I have tried multiple cables though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey,

oh, ok. You drive the newer car, called Mazda3 BP. At my AA/CP-Kit at one of the both USB-Ports there is a Smartphone-Symbol printed, to connect with the USB-cable to the smartphone. We have to wait here, to get a detailed info from a BP-driver with working AA/CP-Kit. But I think, you did not have AA/CP installed.

My Kit looks like this:
Road Top TK78-66-9U0C Carplay Android Auto Retrofit Kit für Mazda 2014-2020 Jahre, Dual USB Interface Module für Mazda2, Mazda3, Mazda6, CX-3,CX-5,CX-9,MX-5: Amazon.de: Auto & Motorrad

Bye
Gruni

·
Registered
40 Posts
again,

sorry, I just get it right, you drive a CX-9 ... here in Germany the CX-9 is not available. So I have no more input for you. Your MZD-Firmware should work with AA/CP, thats not the problem. I think you dont have the retrofit-Kit for AA/CP.

Bye
Rolf

·
Registered
6 Posts
again,

sorry, I just get it right, you drive a CX-9 ... here in Germany the CX-9 is not available. So I have no more input for you. Your MZD-Firmware should work with AA/CP, thats not the problem. I think you dont have the retrofit-Kit for AA/CP.

Bye
Rolf
Got it, thanks for taking the time to help :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Got it, thanks for taking the time to help :)
Hey,
what size has your MZD-Display? Your looking for the firmware 74...., too,

Do you have a 2019 model bought in 2020? The CX-9 2020 should have AA/CP installed from factory and and 9" Display (starting at Touring, Grand Touring and Signature)
2020 Mazda CX-9 Review, Pricing, and Specs

What ...-Line is your CX-9? The 2019s Model in "Sport" has a 7" Display, the other lines like "Touring", "Grand Touring" and "Signature" have an 8" Display.

The MZD-Firmware 74..... is good for the bigger Displays, maybe 8" and 9", but not so good for the 7" Display, larger Icons with less quality ...

Bye
Gruni

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey,
what size has your MZD-Display? Your looking for the firmware 74...., too,

Do you have a 2019 model bought in 2020? The CX-9 2020 should have AA/CP installed from factory and and 9" Display (starting at Touring, Grand Touring and Signature)
2020 Mazda CX-9 Review, Pricing, and Specs

What ...-Line is your CX-9? The 2019s Model in "Sport" has a 7" Display, the other lines like "Touring", "Grand Touring" and "Signature" have an 8" Display.

The MZD-Firmware 74..... is good for the bigger Displays, maybe 8" and 9", but not so good for the 7" Display, larger Icons with less quality ...

Bye
Gruni
Good questions, it’s the 2020 Sport CX-9, so the 7” display. Sounds like I should stick with the 70 firmware and just buy the hardware mod?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good questions, it’s the 2020 Sport CX-9, so the 7” display. Sounds like I should stick with the 70 firmware and just buy the hardware mod?
Hey,
ok, it looks like all "Sport"-Lines 2019 or 2020 have NO AA/CP, It doesnt matter the size of the Display. So, if 7" stay with version 70..... Buy the retrofit-Kit from your local Mazda-Dealer maybe incl. installation. I only can tell you, that it is "easy" to do at the Mazda3 BN 2017. Please check youtube for an installation-guide for the CX-9, like this one here:

Bye
Gruni

201 - 220 of 238 Posts