2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

Need some advice..

When ever i start the vehicle, mazda connect runs alright. But it will shut down after 5 mins, be it i have already started driving or not.

Some times FM radio will come back on but the screen is still black.

I tried a restart VOL+NAV+BACK, it restarts and still the same thing occurs.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi All!

Need some advice..

When ever i start the vehicle, mazda connect runs alright. But it will shut down after 5 mins, be it i have already started driving or not.

Some times FM radio will come back on but the screen is still black.

I tried a restart VOL+NAV+BACK, it restarts and still the same thing occurs.

Thanks all!
I think it may be hardware problem... Which year of your car is made?

I've seen some car is made in 2014-2015 has this problem too...

Some car can recovered this problem by put the main board of CMU to microware for 5 minutes (use heat to fix, use temperature in 170oC), some other can't recover by do the same trick!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Very interesting suggestion by Anhnga. In essence poor solder flow on the related circuit board at the factory, hence your goal would be to reheat and reflow to correct a cold solder joint.

1. Warranty if still valid.
2. Have you performed any mods?
3. So fm does not work each time? What % rate does fm work with each black screen?
4. Check for any DTCs reported by the CMU. That's # 3 from the same screen you use to upgrade the firmware.
5. What version is your firmware? I'd consider updating just in case you have corrupted memory, may resolve.
6. If not a solder reflow condition, I wonder if an onboard component is over heating?

Good luck mate.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
anhnga;2408633. said:
Some car can recovered this problem by put the main board of CMU to microware for 5 minutes !
Good God! DO NOT DO THIS! NEVER EVER PUT CIRCUIT BOARDS IN A MICROWAVE.

A microwave induces large electric currents to flow in the metal of all components, heating some components - like transistors to destruction There is no way of knowing the damage you will cause.

I would first suspect a connector; either to the CMU or inside the CMU. So remove and refit external connectors; if that doesn't work do the same with any on the circuit board.

If the fault remains you could try to look for a 'dry' solder joint. Dry joints look a little cloudy and less shiny than others. A small soldering iron could be used to heat and reflow the solder using some fine solder wire that includes a flux.

But whatever you do - DO NOT PUT ANY CIRCUIT BOARD IN A MICROWAVE OVEN - unless you want it well and truly fried!

To see what I mean take a small piece of aluminium foil and place that in the microwave; switch on and watch the fireworks.

(When WW3 starts the plan would be for all sides to set-off a bomb in the atmosphere above target countries to produce a large radiation burst, (microwave energy), with the intention of frying all electronic apparatus below. And remember in 1989 the Canadian power grid was knocked out for 9 hours by a geomagnetic storm.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interesting suggestion by Anhnga. In essence poor solder flow on the related circuit board at the factory, hence your goal would be to reheat and reflow to correct a cold solder joint.

Sadly no.

Nope, infact i upgraded to FW 502 but the same problem occurs.

3. So fm does not work each time? What % rate does fm work with each black screen?
When it goes of, 50% of the time radio will come back on with blank screen.

4. Check for any DTCs reported by the CMU. That's # 3 from the same screen you use to upgrade the firmware.
ok ill check.

5. What version is your firmware? I'd consider updating just in case you have corrupted memory, may resolve.
Old was 513 4A N, upgraded to 502 just 2 days back.

6. If not a solder reflow condition, I wonder if an onboard component is over heating?

Good luck mate.

Sadly no.

Nope, infact i upgraded to FW 502 but the same problem occurs.

When it goes of, 50% of the time radio will come back on with blank screen.

ok ill check.

Old was 513 4A N, upgraded to 502 just 2 days back.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Microwave!!! That's Insanity!!! probably you have a cold solder joint. You could reflow solder in a oven but never in a microwave, Google or Ytube "Playstation oven fix" it's worth a try CMU Prices at Ebay US around $200.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You are very methodical in your approach, bodes well if its solvable you'll succeed.

"When it goes of, 50% of the time radio will come back on with blank screen." So far this is my primary fault condition/clue to lead us to cause, then hopefully the solution.

You mentioned after fault you performed a restart..... Does this get you back to fully functional for another 5 minutes?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts