2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey!
Im new to working on Mazda's and thought I'd help a friend with an issue. Car runs with a lot of smoke coming out exhaust, seems to be bluish smoke. Compression tested it this morning with a cold engine and got 128/125/115/115 comp out of the cylinders. removing spark plugs cylinders 3/4 had oil all up the spark thread. Im thinking it could be a head gasket with a leak from an oil gallery into a cylinder but with two cylinders with lower compression? unsure might just have to take it apart to check head or im wondering if a stop leak product could be worth a shot 🤷‍♂️ Looking for any knowledge on these engines from Mazda gurus :)
Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
Were the plugs oil soaked? The Gen 1 has a bad head gasket from the factory which was redesigned. When I replaced mine, several of the fasteners on the battery side were barely finger tight. Pop off the valve cover to take a look. Only two dabs of sealant are needed where it dips. I advice using Blue Locktite for the valve cover fasteners.

Stay away from the stop leak products. Those are garbage that are used by quick-buck guys to get a vehicle to stop smoking long enough to dump it onto some unsuspecting buyer. They work by making the seals swell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One plug was oil soaked on the tip and two others had oil all up the thread. several of your head fasteners were finger tight? Thanks I will look into this. valve cover is currently off as I was prepping to pull the head. The engine wasn't overheated as far as I know.

Yeah I didn't want to try stop leak products, the coolant looks to have no oil or contamination anyway. Yeah I'd feel shitty knowing I was selling a car with stop leak holding it together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts