2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was thinking we may see the debut sometime later this year and production begin in 2022.
The Tokyo Motor Show occurs every 2 years and is currently planned for October later this year. Even if it is virtual I could see Mazda introduce a concept that would very closely resemble the new Mazda6 like they did with the KAI Concept in 2017 that closely resembled what Mazda announced a year later for the Mazda3.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
We are at the tail end of new ice engines being developed. R&D is quickly being given over to full ev s. Even though there is still a lot of activity for hybrids, it's only a temporary bridge until cheaper better batteries with faster charging and better ev supporting infrastructure gets built out. There is currently a bottle neck in battery production but that will go away as factories ramp up to meet demand.

Luxury brands like the ones you mentioned will be the first to go full ev, as their customers most appreciate the NVH and power characteristics of electrics and are best able to afford (at this stage ) the higher cost. Many companies have already publicly stated their plans to do so. Adding to this, the governments in most countries continue to ratchet up the pressure with ev incentives and ice disincentives. There may not be many ice alternatives available in this category past 2025/2026 or in all categories past 2030.
I agree. Enjoy ICE while we still have it. Ultimately I will either own an IS300 AWD, MAZDA 3 AWD or Mazda 6 AWD long term. Just haven't decided which one yet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The Tokyo Motor Show occurs every 2 years and is currently planned for October later this year. Even if it is virtual I could see Mazda introduce a concept that would very closely resemble the new Mazda6 like they did with the KAI Concept in 2017 that closely resembled what Mazda announced a year later for the Mazda3.

I've heard rumors at the end of this year or early spring with a late fall debut of 2022. I just want to see what the car looks like.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Amazing how similar it turned out:

·
Registered
204 Posts
It looks like Canada will be getting a 2021.5 CX-5 update in May. This also occurred during the 2016 model year of the CX-5 just before the 2017 major update that wasn't released until spring 2017.

That would suggest that we will see the new RWD Mazda CX-5 next spring. This could mean that the CX-5 leads with the new platform which makes sense from a volume perspective. The Mazda6 would then come out 6-12 months later.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CX5/comments/lh2xxy

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It looks like Canada will be getting a 2021.5 CX-5 update in May. This also occurred during the 2016 model year of the CX-5 just before the 2017 major update that wasn't released until spring 2017.

That would suggest that we will see the new RWD Mazda CX-5 next spring. This could mean that the CX-5 leads with the new platform which makes sense from a volume perspective. The Mazda6 would then come out 6-12 months later.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CX5/comments/lh2xxy
They definitely want the CX-50 out there first since it is a volume seller and consumers will eat it up. The prediction is it will debut sometime this fall and go on sale in the early spring 2022 and will sell alongside the CX-5. The 2023 Mazda 6 will be unveiled late 2022 with a spring 2023 debut.

At least we will get to see what engines are offered because they will be nearly identical to the 6. Just subtract 200-300lbs off of the CX-5 and you will have the weight of the Mazda 6. Definitely excited! I see base 4 cylinder with 200 HP($28-30k) to reign in the cost consciousness consumers then a 260-270 HP inline 6 to hit the sweet spot at about $32-35k. Then maybe down the road they drop a supercharged or turbo'd inline 6 with 350-400 HP to make it rain. Of course they will be all mild hybrid of some type.

Don't be surprised when this platform is shared with the Lexus RC, Lexus IS and probably a 4Runner or another SUV starting in 2023-24 since Toyota helped them fund the project. I see it as the final swan song of the ICE engine that will last about 7-10 years before they switch over to electric. Can't think of a better engine to own long term before jumping into the EV territory. I hope Mazda can pull it off.

·
Registered
204 Posts
They definitely want the CX-50 out there first since it is a volume seller and consumers will eat it up. The prediction is it will debut sometime this fall and go on sale in the early spring 2022 and will sell alongside the CX-5. The 2023 Mazda 6 will be unveiled late 2022 with a spring 2023 debut.

At least we will get to see what engines are offered because they will be nearly identical to the 6. Just subtract 200-300lbs off of the CX-5 and you will have the weight of the Mazda 6. Definitely excited! I see base 4 cylinder with 200 HP($28-30k) to reign in the cost consciousness consumers then a 260-270 HP inline 6 to hit the sweet spot at about $32-35k. Then maybe down the road they drop a supercharged or turbo'd inline 6 with 350-400 HP to make it rain. Of course they will be all mild hybrid of some type.

Don't be surprised when this platform is shared with the Lexus RC, Lexus IS and probably a 4Runner or another SUV starting in 2023-24 since Toyota helped them fund the project. I see it as the final swan song of the ICE engine that will last about 7-10 years before they switch over to electric. Can't think of a better engine to own long term before jumping into the EV territory. I hope Mazda can pull it off.
There is no plan for an inline 6 Turbo. Mazda mentioned they are working on a SkyActiv-x inline-6, Diesel inline-6, and 4cyl hybrid. No word yet on if they will have a base non-hybrid 4cyl.

Mazda may just decide to keep the current gen CX-5 around for another 2-3 years as an entry model.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
There is no plan for an inline 6 Turbo. Mazda mentioned they are working on a SkyActiv-x inline-6, Diesel inline-6, and 4cyl hybrid. No word yet on if they will have a base non-hybrid 4cyl.

Mazda may just decide to keep the current gen CX-5 around for another 2-3 years as an entry model.
I didn't hear anything about a turbo inline 6 either. I heard base regular inline 6, sky active-x inline 6 mild hybrid, diesel inline 6, and a base 2.5 mild hybrid.

The would be smart to keep around and maybe give it a refresh since it sells so well for them.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts