2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you guys are mainly discussing Mazda 3 but wanted to see if you would discuss the new Mazda 6. What's your thoughts on what the price might be? I'm reading it might be a significant increase in price. I've heard a base NA 4 cylinder with around 200 HP, inline NA around 260HP and probably turbo with 350HP. My thought is the base model would be around $28-30k, inline 6 would be $31-34K, Turbo-$36 plus.

Current Mazda 6 is around 24-25k base with the NA.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
5,985 Posts
The next 6 is going to be the "upmarket" new hybrid chassis and will be targeted to compete with likes of the Genesis G70, Audi A4 and Nissan Maxima. $40k for a decently equipped car at least. Turbo, not likely on the higher end trim, more likely a 2.5T for lower trims and a 300hp I6 SA-X motor with 48v hybrid in the higher end cars.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The next 6 is going to be the "upmarket" new hybrid chassis and will be targeted to compete with likes of the Genesis G70, Audi A4 and Nissan Maxima. $40k for a decently equipped car at least. Turbo, not likely on the higher end trim, more likely a 2.5T for lower trims and a 300hp I6 SA-X motor with 48v hybrid in the higher end cars.
I've heard a base 4 cylinder has well. Many rumors for this platform. Hopefully hear something by the end of the year. I've been holding off on leasing a Mazda 3 or purchasing a beater TSX till I hear all the specifics. Would like to either lease one or pick one up certified pre-owned in 3-4 years.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I know you guys are mainly discussing Mazda 3 but wanted to see if you would discuss the new Mazda 6. What's your thoughts on what the price might be? I'm reading it might be a significant increase in price. I've heard a base NA 4 cylinder with around 200 HP, inline NA around 260HP and probably turbo with 350HP. My thought is the base model would be around $28-30k, inline 6 would be $31-34K, Turbo-$36 plus.

Current Mazda 6 is around 24-25k base with the NA.

Thoughts?
We 'kinda have to hope that Mazda is sufficiently solvent to go forward with this plan... (at least in my opinion).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thought is it will be similar to a Kia Stinger but significantly lighter, from what Ive read its nearly the same size as the current one. Just getting impatient for some more details.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My thought is it will be similar to a Kia Stinger but significantly lighter, from what Ive read its nearly the same size as the current one. Just getting impatient for some more details.
I like the the looks of the refreshed and more compact slightly lighter Genesis G70 (about the same length as the 3 sedan). Too bad they have not upgraded the engines to match the upcoming GV70. I want to upgrade from my "17 CX5 in a year or two, and as of now the the GV 70 and CX50 look the most promising. Can't wait to see how they shake out. The 6 and Stinger are too long for my taste.
Surely these new upcoming (truly) premium cars will take a bite from the equivalent overpriced, unreliable, high depreciation German vehicles.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the the looks of the refreshed and more compact slightly lighter Genesis G70 (about the same length as the 3 sedan). Too bad they have not upgraded the engines to match the upcoming GV70. I want to upgrade from my "17 CX5 in a year or two, and as of now the the GV 70 and CX50 look the most promising. Can't wait to see how they shake out. The 6 and Stinger are too long for my taste.
Surely these new upcoming (truly) premium cars will take a bite from the equivalent overpriced, unreliable, high depreciation German vehicles.
I love the Genesis G70 as well but I'm just not into turbo engines. I plan on keeping this car for 7-10 years and don't trust turbo engines for long term durability. Plus turbo lag is a non-deal for me. I think that new 2.5 turbo for Genesis/Kia is going to be a great engine and should ditch the 2.0 turbo all together to help better compete against the Germans.

Ultamitely there are only a handful of competitors in the sport sedan market.

Genesis
BMW
Audi
Mercedes
Lexus-Wouldn't be surprised if they kill of the IS unless they use the new Mazda platform.
Acura
Mazda-New 6 coming out

Infiniti is dead. Q50 and Q60 are getting discontinued in 2-3 years. They will be a Nissan Plus.
Jaguar killed off the XE and only has the XF left and just has a 2.0 turbo. Wouldn't be surprised if the XF goes away and Jaguar just becomes a premium SUV maker.

·
Super Moderator
5,985 Posts
Toyota has already said that there is a new Lexus IS coming, probably next year, and it will be built on the same chassis as the next Mazda 6. There will also be a new Toyota badged sedan produced using the Mazda chassis.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Toyota has already said that there is a new Lexus IS coming, probably next year, and it will be built on the same chassis as the next Mazda 6. There will also be a new Toyota badged sedan produced using the Mazda chassis.
The IS just got a refresh for 2021. My guess is it will last 3 years before Lexus gets the Mazda platform.

·
Super Moderator
5,985 Posts
The new Lexus RC will reportedly be using the Mazda chassis in 2022, and the IS soon after, possibly introduced at the end of next year for 2023.
From Toyota, its possible that the Cressida (recently discontinued Mark X in the home market) will make a return in a year or two also on the Mazda platform.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The new Lexus RC will reportedly be using the Mazda chassis in 2022, and the IS soon after, possibly introduced at the end of next year for 2023.
From Toyota, its possible that the Cressida (recently discontinued Mark X in the home market) will make a return in a year or two also on the Mazda platform.
I'd love to see the spread of that new inline 6 to the RC and IS as soon as possible. Bring back smoothness.
Arathol, do you have links for that information?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My guess is that the new 6 and CX-50 will have a 2.5 NA 4 cylinder, a 2.5 plug-in hybrid, and a 3.0 inline-6. Mazda is developing a PHEV (probably based on Toyota tech) as well as a 48-volt hybrid system with the inline-6. I've read the inline-6 will be 3.0L and 3.3L, and it will also be available in gas, diesel, and SA-x variants. Motor1 Mazda Inline-6

I'd expect a new 8-speed automatic, based on this patent. Mazda New Powertrain Patents

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My guess is that the new 6 and CX-50 will have a 2.5 NA 4 cylinder, a 2.5 plug-in hybrid, and a 3.0 inline-6. Mazda is developing a PHEV (probably based on Toyota tech) as well as a 48-volt hybrid system with the inline-6. I've read the inline-6 will be 3.0L and 3.3L, and it will also be available in gas, diesel, and SA-x variants. Motor1 Mazda Inline-6

I'd expect a new 8-speed automatic, based on this patent. Mazda New Powertrain Patents
I agree. Base 4 cylinder with about 190-200 HP($27-28k), 3.0 Inline 6 with about 260 HP($32-34k) and possibly a turbo inline with around 340 HP($36-37k). As much as I would love an inline 6 the prospect of a RWD/AWD car with a light weight 4 cylinder would keep the cars weight down and be fun to drive on the backroads while still getting close to 28-30 MPG combined. I don't necessarily want all out acceleration but give me a 5-60 mph in low 7's with a curb weight under 3500lbs with AWD and I would be good.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Toyota has gotten cheap with developing cars. Subaru did the majority of the developement on the GT86, BMW basically made the Supra, Mazda is now providing nearly everything for the IS and RC because of funding from Toyota.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree. Base 4 cylinder with about 190-200 HP($27-28k), 3.0 Inline 6 with about 260 HP($32-34k) and possibly a turbo inline with around 340 HP($36-37k). As much as I would love an inline 6 the prospect of a RWD/AWD car with a light weight 4 cylinder would keep the cars weight down and be fun to drive on the backroads while still getting close to 28-30 MPG combined. I don't necessarily want all out acceleration but give me a 5-60 mph in low 7's with a curb weight under 3500lbs with AWD and I would be good.
I would bet the turbo inline-6 will be above $40k. Mazda is trying to move upmarket, so I'm guessing we get 5-series/E-class size for much less money. I also think they will have a plug-in hybrid variant. I'm most interested in that because my commute is 2.8 miles each way. Feature-wise, I'm guessing we will see the current 6 features: heated/ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, rain-sensing windshield wipers, auto high beams, adaptive cruise control and other driver assistance features, HUD, 360 camera, adaptive headlights, etc. I'm betting the new 6 will add adaptive suspension, more premium leather, like semi-aniline, limited-slip differential on the inline-6 turbo model, wireless android auto/apple carplay, traffic jam assist, maybe a highway driving assist, and a panoramic sunroof. I'm sure I'm missing some features, but these are all on my wishlist.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would bet the turbo inline-6 will be above $40k. Mazda is trying to move upmarket, so I'm guessing we get 5-series/E-class size for much less money. I also think they will have a plug-in hybrid variant. I'm most interested in that because my commute is 2.8 miles each way. Feature-wise, I'm guessing we will see the current 6 features: heated/ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, rain-sensing windshield wipers, auto high beams, adaptive cruise control and other driver assistance features, HUD, 360 camera, adaptive headlights, etc. I'm betting the new 6 will add adaptive suspension, more premium leather, like semi-aniline, limited-slip differential on the inline-6 turbo model, wireless android auto/apple carplay, traffic jam assist, maybe a highway driving assist, and a panoramic sunroof. I'm sure I'm missing some features, but these are all on my wishlist.
I see the Kia Stinger as the model for the upcoming 6 but priced lower because of the base 4 cylinder to keep sales up and appeal to the more thrifty crowd. I do agree 40k is probably right for that turbo inline 6. For me its a base 4 cylinder or inline 6 with AWD. I'm not sure they will have an adaptive suspension. They've never had one before on any of there cars.

Thoughts on when we see a debut? I'm thinking end of this year with it going on sale in early spring.

·
Super Moderator
5,985 Posts
Who said anything about an I6 with a turbo? The I6 being developed is naturally aspirated using SA-X technology and Toyotas 48v hybrid system. The SA-X motors use a small supercharger to assist in the combustion process but its not any sort of forced induction.
Look for the new Mazda 6 late in 2022 as a 2023 model.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Who said anything about an I6 with a turbo? The I6 being developed is naturally aspirated using SA-X technology and Toyotas 48v hybrid system. The SA-X motors use a small supercharger to assist in the combustion process but its not any sort of forced induction.
Look for the new Mazda 6 late in 2022 as a 2023 model.
I assumed late 2022 as well. I wouldnt consider it till 2025 once they have worked out all the kinks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was thinking we may see the debut sometime later this year and production begin in 2022.

There will be NA gas, diesel, and SA-X versions of the inline-6. I think Shawn and I meant "the most powerful version and top trim level" when we were saying turbo. Do you think we will see cylinder deactivation in the new 6? I have read 35 mpg. Do you think we will see a plug-in hybrid or just a 48V mild hybrid system?

As a side note, I have a 2019 MZ3 FWD Premium trim. In 2019, one could only have cylinder deactivation in that trim. I noticed in the 2021 or 2022 (can't remember) that cylinder deactivation is now available only on the AWD MZ3 cars in the Preferred and Premium trims.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I love the Genesis G70 as well but I'm just not into turbo engines. I plan on keeping this car for 7-10 years and don't trust turbo engines for long term durability. Plus turbo lag is a non-deal for me. I think that new 2.5 turbo for Genesis/Kia is going to be a great engine and should ditch the 2.0 turbo all together to help better compete against the Germans.

Ultamitely there are only a handful of competitors in the sport sedan market.

Genesis
BMW
Audi
Mercedes
Lexus-Wouldn't be surprised if they kill of the IS unless they use the new Mazda platform.
Acura
Mazda-New 6 coming out

Infiniti is dead. Q50 and Q60 are getting discontinued in 2-3 years. They will be a Nissan Plus.
Jaguar killed off the XE and only has the XF left and just has a 2.0 turbo. Wouldn't be surprised if the XF goes away and Jaguar just becomes a premium SUV maker.
We are at the tail end of new ice engines being developed. R&D is quickly being given over to full ev s. Even though there is still a lot of activity for hybrids, it's only a temporary bridge until cheaper better batteries with faster charging and better ev supporting infrastructure gets built out. There is currently a bottle neck in battery production but that will go away as factories ramp up to meet demand.

Luxury brands like the ones you mentioned will be the first to go full ev, as their customers most appreciate the NVH and power characteristics of electrics and are best able to afford (at this stage ) the higher cost. Many companies have already publicly stated their plans to do so. Adding to this, the governments in most countries continue to ratchet up the pressure with ev incentives and ice disincentives. There may not be many ice alternatives available in this category past 2025/2026 or in all categories past 2030.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts