2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, my girlfriend has had her Mazda 3 for about a year now. She bought it used and it only came with a single key. No key fob, no switchblade of any sort, just a standard looking car key.

She has grown pretty tired of using it to unlock her doors, and would love a key fob.

Having had similar issues in the past, I did what I always do: went online, bought a fob with plans to program it myself and send her on her way. After getting the fob, I'm realizing it may not be as simple as I'm used to with her car. I couldn't get it to program, and ended up sending it back. I have heard of people managing to avoid dealers in this scenario and find somewhat cheaper options.

Any suggestions about how I can go about this for relatively cheap?

Edit: It also occurs to me (immediately after posting) that this is in the wrong section. Meant to post it in discussion....not recalls. Apologies.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Two problems arise first more info on car I.E. Year, does the car have elec lock switch on the door. Need to search VIN # TO SEE if her car has keyless entry. Second issue is the dealer or auto locksmith is required if you want two unique transponder codes input into the cars ecu. Once you have two unique transponder codes you can self program a third,fourth,fifth key. To program a FOB if her car has keyless entry and electric lock/unlock switch on the door. First put the working key into ignition turn to on but don't start the car then turn back key to off repeat a 2nd and 3rd time leaving the key in the off position. Next open and close the door three times. Press the FOB bottom button two times. The car should respond by lockin and unlocking car door. Take key out and exit car. Lock car with key.Next take FOB and press unlock to verify program is accepted. Many Mazda's use a 315 mhz transmitter however some use 433 mhz so its not a given with out an original fob.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts