2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI

My 2016 Mazda 3 is just 1-year old and got a big crack after hit by a small rock on HW 3 days ago. :crying2:
The crack is larger than "$1 dollar bill" so needs windshield replacement.

But how to decide to go with an OEM auto glass or OEE (OEM equivalent per Safelite Auto Glass website) auto glass?
Someone told me go with OEM because I have rain-sensing on the windshield...but seems like Mazdas are pretty easy to get cracks on windshield....
Someone said OEE is the same as OEM and the rain-sensing will be fine. But some other posts on other forums saying OEE glasses are crappy windshields

Does anyone here have same experiences?
Please give some advise...

·
Registered
35 Posts
If your insurance will spring for OEM, go with that.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Have had zero issues with my Safelite windshield...

Reactions: kokoro

·
Registered
4 Posts
Safelite said OEM only

I got a crack in my windshield while in Oregon for the eclipse. A car passed me at bout 70mph when something hit my windshield. I called my insurance and they set up an appointment with Safelite. My deductible was higher than the quote they gave me but I kept the appointment anyway.

I was in the neighborhood so I visited Safelite and had them inspect my windshield to make sure they order the right one. Then they called me two days before my appointment to tell me that they could only use OEM. This delayed my appointment for a day and a half and it will cost more than the original quote.

It cost more and it's OEM that has to be better glass right? Right? I don't know. I feel a bit annoyed be the whole deal. I'm just anxious to get it fixed my 2017 hatch had about 300 miles on it when the debris hit my windshield.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I got a crack in my windshield while in Oregon for the eclipse. A car passed me at bout 70mph when something hit my windshield. I called my insurance and they set up an appointment with Safelite. My deductible was higher than the quote they gave me but I kept the appointment anyway.

I was in the neighborhood so I visited Safelite and had them inspect my windshield to make sure they order the right one. Then they called me two days before my appointment to tell me that they could only use OEM. This delayed my appointment for a day and a half and it will cost more than the original quote.

It cost more and it's OEM that has to be better glass right? Right? I don't know. I feel a bit annoyed be the whole deal. I'm just anxious to get it fixed my 2017 hatch had about 300 miles on it when the debris hit my windshield.
Wonder if there is a difference between 2016 and 2017 glass? A few months ago, Safelite replaced my windshield with their OEE glass. I drive a 2016 isport, with rain sensing wipers...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went with OEM because it was $200 cheaper than other alternatives. I think the differences lie in the number of sensors and the upgraded city brake support camera system. Allegedly you can get any kind of windshield installed, but may have to have the sensors re-calibrated.

~Ex

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sound Deadening Windshield

My windshield needs to be replaced and based on my VIN, the glass place told me I have a "sound deadening" windshield. Are Mazda 3 (2016) really equipped with it? It drove the quote up almost $100.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Most are not aware that there are different qualities of windshield glass. Thickness, hardness, clarity, uniformity in density...etc., You get what you pay for most of the time and OEM is NOT always the best quality. You need to talk to the supplier of the glass and get all the options and quality information. Those really good deals that include installation are almost always the least quality glass that company has to offer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts