2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Newbie here and never gotten into modding cars before so would love some help!

My car is 120HP uk mazda 3 2015 2.0

Ive looked around and seen a remap can roughly get me to 170hp but looking to see if there is anything else and what peoples experiances have been.

What i have found so far:

Cold intake - people say it does nothing because its N/A or that the factory ones are good

Lighter wheels

Bigger brakes

Coilovers

(Im looking mainly for power as i love the way it handles currently just needs more zoom)

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
451 Posts
You are on a hiding to nothing with a wallet emptying on the way

Forget the remap. Nothing to see there.

Only thing you can do to get more power is to sell the 2.0 and buy a 2.5.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I also agree. All you can hope for is to bring the power of the 2.0 up to that of the 2.5. or you could have bought the 2.5 to begin with. Maybe push it further if you have money to burn.

·
Super Moderator
5,086 Posts
Ignore the above......
There is no 2.5 available in the UK.......
Hi all,

Ive looked around and seen a remap can roughly get me to 170hp but looking to see if there is anything else and what peoples experiances have been.

Cold intake - people say it does nothing because its N/A or that the factory ones are good

Lighter wheels

Bigger brakes

Coilovers

(Im looking mainly for power as i love the way it handles currently just needs more zoom)

Thanks in advanced!
Intake - don't bother if you aren't going to get the engine tuned. It does help when tuning.
Wheels - yeah, light weight wheels make a difference.
Bigger brakes - unless you plan on going to the track, better pads is all you need.
Coil-overs - not really needed. If you want to lower the car, just get a good set of proper lowering springs like H&R or Eibach. Do install a larger rear sway bar though, it makes a good car great.

Tuning - yes, absolutely. A good tune is the only way to make significant power gains. You can realize 180 or so hp and raise the limiter to 7K rpm. This makes a very big difference in how the car drives. With a good tune you should be able to cut your 0-60 times to about 7 seconds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ignore the above......
There is no 2.5 available in the UK.......

Intake - don't bother if you aren't going to get the engine tuned. It does help when tuning.
Wheels - yeah, light weight wheels make a difference.
Bigger brakes - unless you plan on going to the track, better pads is all you need.
Coil-overs - not really needed. If you want to lower the car, just get a good set of proper lowering springs like H&R or Eibach. Do install a larger rear sway bar though, it makes a good car great.

Tuning - yes, absolutely. A good tune is the only way to make significant power gains. You can realize 180 or so hp and raise the limiter to 7K rpm. This makes a very big difference in how the car drives. With a good tune you should be able to cut your 0-60 times to about 7 seconds.
Brilliant thank you for the advice its greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are on a hiding to nothing with a wallet emptying on the way

Forget the remap. Nothing to see there.

Only thing you can do to get more power is to sell the 2.0 and buy a 2.5.
Unfortantley im from the uk so my options are a 2.0 petrol only sucks i know as would have got the bigger engine in a heart beat!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Arathol - respect to you as a senior member here, but where on earth do you get a 50% gain in power from a simple remap ?

Diesel engines have the ability, but petrol? Really? I say not. Please don't mention OrangeVirus. It's a well documented POS.

·
Super Moderator
5,086 Posts
Arathol - respect to you as a senior member here, but where on earth do you get a 50% gain in power from a simple remap ?

Diesel engines have the ability, but petrol? Really? I say not. Please don't mention OrangeVirus. It's a well documented POS.
I guess you have not been paying attention. The OP is in the UK. UK 2.0 motors are specced to 120 hp. They are no different than the 155 hp motors in the US or anywhere else. The 120 hp 2.0 motors are limited by the state of tune. Apply a factory tune that doesn't have those limiters and its a 155 hp motor. Apply an OVT tune on top of that and you can get 180hp with a 93 octane tune. Whats not to understand there?
Who on earth says that OVT is a POS? Well documented where? This couldn't be further from the truth. There are plenty of people on this forum who are quite happy with them, and many more MX-5 owners that are just as satisfied.

·
Super Moderator
5,086 Posts
Brilliant thank you for the advice its greatly appreciated! If i got a new intake do you know what numbers i could potentially see with a tune?
There was a guy here that with a tune, intake and exhaust documented 168hp at the wheels on a dyno with a 2.0 motor. My car is close to that. The tune cut a full second off 0-60 times. With a 120 hp UK motor and a proper tune, you should see maybe a 3 second improvement, down to around 7 seconds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input everyone i appreciate you all pointing me in the right direction!

Before this i had a peugeot 207 diesel for £300 wasnt interested in modding but now ready to with this car!

Sorry i know its probably been answered a million times but got conflicting messages so thank you all for clearing that up!

Would any remap / tune garage be ok for this as long as they have good reviews or are there any you can recommend?

(South west england)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hi all,

Lighter wheels

Bigger brakes

Coilovers

Thanks in advanced!
Being in the UK I hope you have told your insurance company about the mods else you will not be covered. They will also hike your insurance cost.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fyi, there are 2 specs for the 2.0 petrol in the uk. The 120bhp that the OP mentioned and a 162bhp that are few and far between. The 162 gives you 0.5sec quicker to 60 and higher fuel consumption but not much else to bother about.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,086 Posts
Fyi, there are 2 specs for the 2.0 petrol in the uk. The 120bhp that the OP mentioned and a 162bhp that are few and far between. The 162 gives you 0.5sec quicker to 60 and higher fuel consumption but not much else to bother about.
Half a second quicker? More like 2 seconds.... US spec 2.0 155 hp cars will do 0-60 in about 8 seconds, the 162hp spec cars a couple tenths faster. The 120hp cars are more like 10 seconds. A tune to about 180 will get it down close to 7.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts