2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since the Mazda6 2.5L now will be coming with a turbo option i wonder if that same turbo can also be easily added to an older 3?

Wonder if they will do a Turbo 3 in the future?

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
And if Mazda were really smart, they would bring out the 2019 Mazda 6, with a turbo and and AWD in a hatchback/5door model.

I was talking with the lead salesperson and the service manager at the dealership, asking about the Mazda 6 hatch, and when of them comes in as a trade, it is re-sold within a few minutes (as they have a list of folks always looking for one).

Common Mazda, do the smart thing. And while you are at it, please also gives us the Mazda 3 turbo with an AWD option!

Mazda can increase sedan/hatch sales, but they need to realize that there are purchasing niches that they are now not appealing to.

·
Super Moderator
6,401 Posts
And if Mazda were really smart, they would bring out the 2019 Mazda 6, with a turbo and and AWD in a hatchback/5door model.

I was talking with the lead salesperson and the service manager at the dealership, asking about the Mazda 6 hatch, and when of them comes in as a trade, it is re-sold within a few minutes (as they have a list of folks always looking for one).

Common Mazda, do the smart thing. And while you are at it, please also gives us the Mazda 3 turbo with an AWD option!

Mazda can increase sedan/hatch sales, but they need to realize that there are purchasing niches that they are now not appealing to.
Those Mazda 6 hatch backs are available already pretty much everywhere but here. The marketing geniuses at Mazda, the same ones that say we don't need CarPlay etc, the same ones that say Americans are lazy and don't want a manual shift car, the same one that have determined that Americans are too fat for Recaro seats, have determined that Americans don't like wagon type cars. Meanwhile, Subaru wagons are selling in record numbers with little competition.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Those Mazda 6 hatch backs are available already pretty much everywhere but here. The marketing geniuses at Mazda, the same ones that say we don't need CarPlay etc, the same ones that say Americans are lazy and don't want a manual shift car, the same one that have determined that Americans are too fat for Recaro seats, have determined that Americans don't like wagon type cars. Meanwhile, Subaru wagons are selling in record numbers with little competition.

They treat us canucks the same, if not worse. If you're like me and want a car the size of the 3 or 6 in hatch, with manual and not limited on options you can count your choices on one hand.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
They treat us canucks the same, if not worse. If you're like me and want a car the size of the 3 or 6 in hatch, with manual and not limited on options you can count your choices on one hand.
Barely 1 hand. Before looking at Mazda I wanted a Focus 2.0L Hatch with the 5spd manual but they stopped making it and my only choice was a POS 1.0L ecoboost with a 6spd manual that barely makes 100hp at this altitude. Honda wasn't getting great reviews on their new boosted Civic Hatch plus that's premium gas ewww, VW Golf GTI wasn't worth the price, I won't even mention the Korean crap or GM's garbage Cruze Hatch. The new Impreza Hatch is very ugly tho AWD would have been nice. The Mitsubishi Lancer Hatch just doesn't appeal to me at all. I wanted a manual with reasonable power, hatchback, a nice interior, and no premium gas. Realistically the VW was Mazda's only completion but VW wanted too much money. For the price of a GTI I could have gotten a Focus ST but then its premium gas. For that price its also WRX territory which is very appealing to me. End of the day Mazda kicked everyone's ass with the 2017 Mazda 3 GT Hatch, amazing interior design, more power and torque, no premium gas, ample interior space, more features than you can shake a stick at, unlimited KM 5 year powertrain warranty, an incredible deal to say the least. If Mazda does an AWD manual Turbo Mazda 3 it will be at the top of my list that's for sure. Even a Turbo AWD manual Mazda 6 peaks my interest, sedan, Hatch, or wagon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've read some articles saying that the 2.5L turbo engine in the CX-9 can fit in the engine bay's of the Mazda 3, 6, and CX-5. Though I really think that the decision of bringing back a turbocharged Mazda 3 depends on the management. Right now they seem to be working very hard on their Skyactiv gen-2 engine and making their cars more fuel efficient.

·
Registered
510 Posts
i think it's pretty much the NA market as a whole.. hahaha. the wagons are lovely and ever seen a commodore wagon? chevy SS in the us. those are beasty..

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
Corksport is working on an aftermarket turbo for our gen 3s.

I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with it within the next year. The demand for one is clearly out there and our competitors already have turbocharged engines out there... Focus ST & RS, VW R, WRX STI..

Here is the Corksport blogpost discussing it.
CK

·
Registered
718 Posts
How would the rest of the drivetrain handle that much increase in HP and torque? Also, how would the shift points work out?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
I couldn't find any mention of them altering the drive train for the 2018 turbo charged 6... If that's the case, then I'm thinking the 3's drive train should be able to handle the added HP just fine.

I was also reading up on the stats, and the turbo charged 6 delivers 227 hp with 310 lb-ft of torque vs. the non-turbo 2.5L engine, which provides 184 hp and 185 lb-ft of torque.

That's a pretty minimal hp gain for adding a turbo, but a lot of added power, as you can see by the torque numbers.
CK <--salivating for a turbo 3

·
Super Moderator
6,401 Posts
I couldn't find any mention of them altering the drive train for the 2018 turbo charged 6... If that's the case, then I'm thinking the 3's drive train should be able to handle the added HP just fine.

I was also reading up on the stats, and the turbo charged 6 delivers 227 hp with 310 lb-ft of torque vs. the non-turbo 2.5L engine, which provides 184 hp and 185 lb-ft of torque.

That's a pretty minimal hp gain for adding a turbo, but a lot of added power, as you can see by the torque numbers.
CK <--salivating for a turbo 3
No manual transmission, and most likely the automatic from the CX-9. I doubt that Mazda would spend the money to develop a second engine/transmission combination just for the 6. The engine can do 250 hp with premium 93 octane fuel, 227 with lower octane.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
No manual transmission, and most likely the automatic from the CX-9. I doubt that Mazda would spend the money to develop a second engine/transmission combination just for the 6. The engine can do 250 hp with premium 93 octane fuel, 227 with lower octane.
Seriously? no Manual? wtf is that about?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Barely 1 hand. Before looking at Mazda I wanted a Focus 2.0L Hatch with the 5spd manual but they stopped making it and my only choice was a POS 1.0L ecoboost with a 6spd manual that barely makes 100hp at this altitude. Honda wasn't getting great reviews on their new boosted Civic Hatch plus that's premium gas ewww, VW Golf GTI wasn't worth the price, I won't even mention the Korean crap or GM's garbage Cruze Hatch. The new Impreza Hatch is very ugly tho AWD would have been nice. The Mitsubishi Lancer Hatch just doesn't appeal to me at all. I wanted a manual with reasonable power, hatchback, a nice interior, and no premium gas. Realistically the VW was Mazda's only completion but VW wanted too much money. For the price of a GTI I could have gotten a Focus ST but then its premium gas. For that price its also WRX territory which is very appealing to me. End of the day Mazda kicked everyone's ass with the 2017 Mazda 3 GT Hatch, amazing interior design, more power and torque, no premium gas, ample interior space, more features than you can shake a stick at, unlimited KM 5 year powertrain warranty, an incredible deal to say the least. If Mazda does an AWD manual Turbo Mazda 3 it will be at the top of my list that's for sure. Even a Turbo AWD manual Mazda 6 peaks my interest, sedan, Hatch, or wagon.
This was the same conclusion that I came to. I got a 2015 so honda wasn't even an option then. Ford I had the same crap, no thanks. I don't mind Hyundai cars myself (my old car was an accent), but I really didn't like how the elantra gt felt on the road. I gave Subaru a look, but it was more expensive, only a 5 spd manual, and the technology in the Mazda blew it out of the water.

I really wish we had better choices, even if it is a niche market.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Unfortunately I think they will go A/T with the turbocharged engine like the new Mazda 6. In a video I watched about Jay Chen, a Mazda Powertrain Engr., he says that the Mazda 6 has to come in A/T to support the engine and how it delivers power to the wheels in a more controlled, smoother, and efficient manner. Though I think if Mazda will revive their Mazdaspeed line up then maybe we could expect a manual transmission with a turbocharged engine coming in.

As for aftermarket I've seen BBR create a stage 1 turbo for the ND MX-5 so maybe they could release a version which fits for the 2.0L Mazda3 but I don't really expect that since they focus their efforts more on the MX-5's. I think the stock transmission will be able to handle the extra power but not by much I guess.

·
Super Moderator
6,401 Posts
As for aftermarket I've seen BBR create a stage 1 turbo for the ND MX-5 so maybe they could release a version which fits for the 2.0L Mazda3 but I don't really expect that since they focus their efforts more on the MX-5's.
Nope. Different ECU, no support.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
cmon Mazda, don't force me into a Focus RS or STi for my next car, their interiors suck lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nope. Different ECU, no support.
Thanks, I forgot to mention that. It's also why I think it wouldn't be possible for them to implement the turbo kit from the ND MX-5 to the Mazda3. I guess we'll have to wait for an aftermarket company to make a complete kit dedicated for the Mazda3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to interrupt, but I have a buddy with a CTS-V wagon putting down 965 at the rear wheels, probably well over 1100 at the crank, no nitrous.

-Noob (Karch)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts