2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have 2014 Mazda 3 Sedan (FWD). I am moving from PEI to Edmonton, Alberta. I don't have much stuff (furniture or any heavy item) but enough that just car won't suffice. The biggest/heaviest item I have to move is 4 winter tires (one season old) with rims. I'm thinking of renting 4 x 8 cargo trailer from uhaul and get trailer hitch on my car.

Do you think that it would be OK to pull that much weight and won't be hard on the car, it's about 4800 km? Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Look at Uhauls website. Just make sure you are working with the correct trailer hitch design and pulling within limitation. Trailers themselves especially the covered ones can weight 500 lbs alone and I don't think the Mazda is really good beyond about 1000lbs. If you go beyond that you run the risk of tweaking the frame or overheating the transmission if you don't have a transmission cooler. I think you might just be better off with a roof rack setup and ship everything else.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Look at Uhauls website. Just make sure you are working with the correct trailer hitch design and pulling within limitation. Trailers themselves especially the covered ones can weight 500 lbs alone and I don't think the Mazda is really good beyond about 1000lbs. If you go beyond that you run the risk of tweaking the frame or overheating the transmission if you don't have a transmission cooler. I think you might just be better off with a roof rack setup and ship everything else.
Or just renting a light U-Haul truck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mazda provides a hideaway hitch for the 3, but like everyone says it is not going to be good at over 1,000 lbs. Invest in a roof rack, fold down the rear seats and stuff it as much as you can, and ship everything else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts