2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title states, I have been curious about things regarding the Mazda 3 but would not wanna try for obvious reasons, maybe someone has tried/done so accidentally/and or knows the answer. Here are my questions:

1. For the Manual owners....if driving in gear (1,2,3,4,5,6) is there some sort of "lock out" to prevent going into reverse? Now I know you have to push down and up left to do so but I always wondered if there is some sort of mechanism to prevent this from occurring.

2. For the automatic owners....same question. If you are driving in drive gear is there a lock out or something to not allow the user to put the car into reverse?

3. For manual/automatic owners....if the car is driving down the road...what happens if you push the start button...will it shut off the engine and if so will the wheels lock up or will the car just keep rolling but remain steerable?

·
Registered
146 Posts
1. There may be a lockout but even if there isn't, the synchros aren't going to mesh going into Reverse while moving forward, so it's not likely you could do it, even accidentally.

2. The computer should prevent the transmission from going into Reverse (or Park) while moving.

3. The button normally only shuts the engine off when the car isn't moving. In an emergency (if you need to kill the engine while moving) hold the button down or press it repeatedly.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have the 2.5L S Touring, so an Automatic.

#2: If you are driving in D you can push the shifter to the left for manual mode. Or, you can be in D and push the shifter up and it will go to neutral (N) but will stop before reverse (R). You have to depress the button on the shifter to get it to slide to reverse.

#3: I have never done this... doesn't seem safe or wise at all. However, I'm very curious. Maybe I'll give it a shot in a really empty lot, if I can find one.

·
Registered
752 Posts
On a manual..There is not a lockout that makes it impossible to go into reverse.. like kpatz said the synchronizers would make it really difficult however if you really jammed it in there with a lot of force you bet your ass it will go into reverse and you can spend the next hours picking up pieces.

Reactions: jeremiah

·
Registered
145 Posts
Pressing the stop button will basicly make you lose control. Power assist steering and brakes do not work without the engine. Doing this is highly dangerous. Also in a manual I have always heard the tranny won't enter reverse if the car is moving. It should gone and moan but won't enter it. In the auto you have to put it in reverse as said by depressing the button. You only press it when the car is stopped and your fine. If you put the car purposely in reverse (a friend did at 130km on the highway) your transmission will engage reverse and shred the gears apart and destroy a lot of the tranny. He did so in a Mazda 6. Warranty and insurance will NOT cover you being completely stupid and you'll have to repair it yourself.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Also keep in mind with the manual you have to push down on the shifter when it's sitting in the center position, then shift it over to first. It's hard to 'accidentally' do that.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
As far as stopping the engine while the car is moving goes: you can do it, the ecomodders even gave it a name, Force Auto Stop. Don't do it if you have other motorists in your field of vision. Not because your power steering goes kaput (you can still turn if you're going above 5mph, don't be a pansy) but because your brake booster will have only enough vacuum to supply you for one push of the brake pedal with the engine off. If you lose that boost it is HARD to slow quickly should you need to avoid an accident.

Why I know: I lost power steering and brake booster on Santa Suzana canyon + have also FAS'd a couple times on the highway to answer exactly this question for myself. Learn from my fail lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also killing an engine will disable airbags. Stupid. There are so many hills here in California that I would save tons of gas just rolling downhill on no power. I do it in town on known routes but brake booster gives you couple
of soft brakes or one hard one. My car is old Corolla.

·
Registered
437 Posts
On a manual..There is not a lockout that makes it impossible to go into reverse.. like kpatz said the synchronizers would make it really difficult however if you really jammed it in there with a lot of force you bet your ass it will go into reverse and you can spend the next hours picking up pieces.
It's near impossible - Mythbusters did a whole episode on car stuff once, and they got a junker Honda with a stick and had one of the guys putting his whole weight into trying to get the thing to shift. You'd have to hold it there like an idiot for a severe amount of time to do damage.

Pressing the stop button will basicly make you lose control
As far as stopping the engine while the car is moving goes: you can do it, the ecomodders even gave it a name, Force Auto Stop.
Read your owner's manual people. Pushing the start / stop button while you're driving will do nothing. You have to hold it down for several seconds to do an emergency engine shutoff while driving. It's possible to do on purpose, but not by accident.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
You've validated my point, so thanks. Doing it on purpose is indeed and of course possible. I do not recall having to hold the button though, I just threw the car into Neutral.

·
Registered
752 Posts
OH yeah it would be really hard to do the person I know that did it might have just went into way too log of a gear but he swears he went into reverse for what thats worth.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Talking about this kind of stuff makes me wonder on a car with a smart key is it possible to roll start it? manual of course...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone ever tested the behavior when pressing the engine button while driving? I am very curious about that as well!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Has anyone ever tested the behavior when pressing the engine button while driving? I am very curious about that as well!
I hit the button once when I was still approaching my parking spot at work and the engine didn't stop (~10 mph, clutch pushed in). If I'm just rolling, almost stopped when parking it will stop if you hit the button. So there's probably some minimum speed (maybe 3-5 mph) where the single-press engine stop is disabled.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There are so many hills here in California that I would save tons of gas just rolling downhill on no power. I do it in town on known routes but brake booster gives you couple
of soft brakes or one hard one. My car is old Corolla.
That is a terrible idea and illegal in every state I am aware of. I think every car now has fuel shut off in such situations, so you don't burn any fuel, anyway. (You would, however, still have friction from the engine unless you disengage the transmission. But engine friction is low enough on new cars that it robs you of less energy than fuel wasted by idling.)

If the hill is steep enough to maintain speed without the engine, then it is also steep enough that a having a couple soft brakes or one hard one is insufficient. IMO, the added safety risk is not worth a few cents you might save on gas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts