2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 GSX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here interested in a Mazda 3 TCR replica body kit? I am thinking of creating one for my own car and was curious if anyone else would want one.

I did a test scan a while ago and will finish scanning the whole car once my garage finishes renovation.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hell yeah, depends how you're planning to fasten the widebody parts on though. Hate the brz widebodys with all those visible bolts.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 GSX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also hate external fasteners on body panels. I want to make it look like something OEM would produce.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3 HB
3 Posts
Leaving a reply here to see if this thread goes anywhere, I would definitely be interested if you plan on selling the body kit in the future. Any updates on the progress so far?

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 GSX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys,

Sorry for the slow update, been busy with other projects such as getting RX-8 ready for the engine swap and designing suspension components for MX-5 but in my spare time, I have made some progress on this project.

So far I have used the scan data from my first post to recreate an OEM fender.

Using that model, I started adjusting the surfaces to get a rough idea of how far the fender should extend. The fenders are 68.5mm wider than OEM according to Speedhunter's article which looks about right.

I still need quite a bit of practice drawing NURBS as you can see how rough my CAD model is but I still manage to get the general shape.

So, I was thinking my next step is to 3D print a scaled-down version of that rough model so I could physically make it smooth and fix up spots that need attention and then rescan it.

Also, I have scanned more bits of the car last week which I will use that data for creating more reference models.

I will try and make a post every fortnight about this project's progress.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3 HB
3 Posts
I will try and make a post every fortnight about this project's progress.
Hope to hear those updates regularly! I was planning on getting a new wheel setup in the near future, but I first wanted to wait to see if anyone was making any sort of over-fenders or wide-body kits for the 4th gens. Since this project seems like it will take a decent amount of time to complete though, I may still go for the set that I was looking at and work on changing on the look if this project ever becomes available publicly.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda3 Turbo HB in White, 2021 Mazda3 Turbo HB in Black, 2007 RX-8 Sport
33 Posts
Not interested in a body kit but I would like to know what you are using for scanning the body, please?

I’m working on printable intake tube for the 3 turbo and being able to scan the engine bay would make picking up some mounting locations easier.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 GSX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not interested in a body kit but I would like to know what you are using for scanning the body, please?

I’m working on printable intake tube for the 3 turbo and being able to scan the engine bay would make picking up some mounting locations easier.
I am currently using an EinScan Pro HD. I scanned my 2L engine bay a few months ago if you want to use that as a reference model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts