2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3 HB
3 Posts
Leaving a reply here to see if this thread goes anywhere, I would definitely be interested if you plan on selling the body kit in the future. Any updates on the progress so far?

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 GSX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys,

Sorry for the slow update, been busy with other projects such as getting RX-8 ready for the engine swap and designing suspension components for MX-5 but in my spare time, I have made some progress on this project.

So far I have used the scan data from my first post to recreate an OEM fender.

Using that model, I started adjusting the surfaces to get a rough idea of how far the fender should extend. The fenders are 68.5mm wider than OEM according to Speedhunter's article which looks about right.

I still need quite a bit of practice drawing NURBS as you can see how rough my CAD model is but I still manage to get the general shape.

So, I was thinking my next step is to 3D print a scaled-down version of that rough model so I could physically make it smooth and fix up spots that need attention and then rescan it.

Also, I have scanned more bits of the car last week which I will use that data for creating more reference models.

I will try and make a post every fortnight about this project's progress.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3 HB
3 Posts
I will try and make a post every fortnight about this project's progress.
Hope to hear those updates regularly! I was planning on getting a new wheel setup in the near future, but I first wanted to wait to see if anyone was making any sort of over-fenders or wide-body kits for the 4th gens. Since this project seems like it will take a decent amount of time to complete though, I may still go for the set that I was looking at and work on changing on the look if this project ever becomes available publicly.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda3 Turbo HB in White, 2021 Mazda3 Turbo HB in Black, 2007 RX-8 Sport
57 Posts
Not interested in a body kit but I would like to know what you are using for scanning the body, please?

I’m working on printable intake tube for the 3 turbo and being able to scan the engine bay would make picking up some mounting locations easier.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 GSX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not interested in a body kit but I would like to know what you are using for scanning the body, please?

I’m working on printable intake tube for the 3 turbo and being able to scan the engine bay would make picking up some mounting locations easier.
I am currently using an EinScan Pro HD. I scanned my 2L engine bay a few months ago if you want to use that as a reference model.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you have finish this project? i would like to make this parts in carbon fiber, to make test on my own mazda, clould you share the 3D model? i´been using a Keyence 3d scanner but its complicated to me get the correct data

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
1,192 Posts
Cool Stuff !!

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is very cool! I'm potentially interested in a kit. Your scans look promising. Any further progress? What would be included; oversized front fenders, skirts and rear flares?

The LRR TCR had a lot of potential imo. It's really too bad that the program never got a chance to compete. RIP Glen Long.

I ordered the LEG motorsport 'TCR' inspired kit. No wide body but a nice nod to what could've been imo. And I'm definitely missing that huge GT wing, ha! Expecting to arrive in the next week or so with some other jdm goodies.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is very cool! I'm potentially interested in a kit. Your scans look promising. Any further progress? What would be included; oversized front fenders, skirts and rear flares?

The LRR TCR had a lot of potential imo. It's really too bad that the program never got a chance to compete. RIP Glen Long.

I ordered the LEG motorsport 'TCR' inspired kit. No wide body but a nice nod to what could've been imo. And I'm definitely missing that huge GT wing, ha! Expecting to arrive in the next week or so with some other jdm goodies.
She’s a beauty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts