2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I’m planning to buy Mazda3 hatchback (used - 2015/16.), most likely diesel and I would need some suggestions in terms of which engine to choose.

As I’m not making a lot of km on a daily basis, 2-3x 10-15min drives on a daily basis (all in the city), here and there to another town to visit family, I’m more fond of smaller 1.5liter version due to the smaller fuel consumption.

On the other hand, even though I’m not in the need for a “powerful” car, I read a lot of reviews in which people are favorizing 2.2liter engine as it has more power and its fuel consumption is not much higher than for 1.5 but its performance is better so it seems to me even though it’s more pricey it’s better value for money.

Can someone give me advice about this?
If there’s someone who’s an owner of 1.5D it would be even better.

I appreciate all the help in advance.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
You said that you're doing mostly city driving. You're not going fast or have a need to accelerate hard. Diesel engines have higher torque than their gasoline counterparts and it is that torque that gets you up to speed faster. the downside is lower horsepower, that translates to top speed for a given mass. In your case, this shouldn't matter.

In other words, I think the smaller engine will suit your needs just fine for city driving. Unless the economics don't matter to you and you just want a more powerful engine. Nobody is going to blame you for that one here :)

I'd try to test drive both. See if the bigger engine is worth the extra money to you. I drive the gasoline 2.0L. I considered the 2.5 but the cost jump was very high at the time. I decided that it wasn't worth it to me and I'm quite happy with the smaller engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@UncleZen what would be your suggestion?

I was aiming for diesel due to the lower fuel consumption than petrol and the fact it's a type of a car for the long run (I'm not planning to resell soon).

I understand that diesel is more suitable for more mileage per year, but in addition to what I wrote above, in the next year, I'll be making longer trips (250km 3,4x times a month).

Is there any other reason you wouldn't recommend diesel except the fact the mileage I'm doing is not making buying a diesel an efficient option?

·
Registered
258 Posts
If your looking at a model with a DPF in the exhaust make sure that it will regenerate with your driving pattern. You will also find that, if you require any repairs to the diesel injection system, the costs will blow away any fuel price savings.

·
Registered
78 Posts
dpf regen issues mainly on short journeys
And there have been issues with mazda diesels in the past
I'd go for the petrol engine, they are very fuel efficient. Although not particularly lively as the dont have a turbo.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts