2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,
way
I did see an article on this but cannot seem to find it. Anyway , sorry for a bit of repeat but this morning I
was changing the rear pads, easy job I thought...!!
Well, I have a problem, initially I thought this was like any other piston and I was using a G-clamp to push
it back after installing the new pads. Well, it wouldn't budge. Realised that, after consulting with youtube, that
the piston is screwed in clockwise to push it in. Well , I was an hour trying this to no avail, turned slightly anti-clockwise
to re-position and then again. I'm using a needle nose pliers, fairly tough one so I am wondering if
I ended damaging the thread somehow at the initial stage. ??
Thanks for any help, thin I'll be bringing it to a Mazda garage after all this. I had to put the original pads
back on. Thankfully they should last another year. They are not as worn as I thought.
Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't have a Mazda 3 specific answer for you. But in general, the majority of rear brake calipers can not be pushed back in. Any rear brake that doesn't have a separate brake shoe for parking brake will need to be retracted by either spinning the piston, or a screw on the back of the caliper. Permanent damage is usually the result of clamping on the piston. Again, I'm not sure how likely Mazda 3 rear calipers are to breaking because of this. Is the parking brake hand actuated, or is it electronic?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey had the same problem. The rear pistons have to be turned like a screw and pushed in. Its weird I know but some brake calipers are like that. I just changed the brakes in my 2015 Mazda 3 and went through the same agony.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ran into the same issue with my old 2006 3 i Touring when I finally did my brakes. I actually ended up breaking a clamp, and bending the handle on a new one before I looked up what was going on online. I ended up renting the tool I needed from AutoZone, and was able to get the piston to back in. As far as I could tell, there was no damage, and the brakes continued to work properly up until the engine died for the last time (long story there...). I tried using needle nose pliers before renting the tool, but could only get it to move a little bit. The caliper tool was a HUGE help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts