2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, I just realized this when I drove through a light snow drift at my driveway. It left a flat edge from the Skyactiv underbody plastic covers. I wonder how far this car would go at 100+km/h falling off the road. I imagine the nose would take most of the force but snow usually fills the engine bay, get rammed in there against the firewall and poof. When you jump in snow at high speeds with this car, I bet the snow will compress under the underbelly of the engine bay and keep the car floating on top, shooting it back up and end up sliding for a while. Unless the plastic is pretty flimsy and would tear under pressure.

I just hate the thought of drivers sliding towards trees at that speed or even ramping off of the build-up of snow on the side of the road and launching the car in the air.

One for Mythbusters perhaps?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol. A hypothetical situation with a realistic possibility.

·
Broke Postbac.
536 Posts
I don't understand what you're trying to say.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think that stevar is raising a safety concern he's got with the Skyactiv's under carriage... Wondering if the car would act like a crazy carpet if you would lose control on the highway and end up in a snow covered ditch.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Broke Postbac.
536 Posts
I got to that part, but I don't get how snow will compress under the engine bay and launch the car in the air. Must be some alien technology. :stuart:

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think the plastic would just break...

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is really confusing. I'm not sure what you're trying to say, especially by 'crazy carpet', but maybe a clearer explanation and analogy would help?

On the other hand, that had to be one of the most interesting and curiosity piquing titles I've seen!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think that stevar is raising a safety concern he's got with the Skyactiv's under carriage... Wondering if the car would act like a crazy carpet if you would lose control on the highway and end up in a snow covered ditch.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
THIS! :yes:

As for the launching the car in the air, if you were to hit a snow bank (at high speeds) left on the side of the road as the plows usually do, the fact that the underbelly of the car is much like a ski-doo sled belly (this might help with the comparison) it could cause the car to stay at it's current road level (but airborne since ditches are usually lower than the road) or jump even higher after impact vs plowing through the bank and landing a few feet after.

Think about ski-doo's jumping snow banks, sno-racers down a hill hitting a snow ramp, snow board hitting a bank of snow on a hill...etc

Like I mentioned, the under carriage plastic paneling might be weak and just break under impact. Cars that do not have these panels usually fills up with snow by ramming most of it into the engine bay. That plus the sub frame of the engine stops the car quicker when going off road in the winter.

Hope this explanation helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is a valid concern. I saw a Skyactiv 3 hatch drive off the road yesterday here in Chicago. Next thing I knew the guy flew about 100 yards. It was awesome.

Seriously... unless you break off all 4 of your wheels, hitting the brakes will stop you if you somehow end up floating on top of snow.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is a valid concern. I saw a Skyactiv 3 hatch drive off the road yesterday here in Chicago. Next thing I knew the guy flew about 100 yards. It was awesome.

Seriously... unless you break off all 4 of your wheels, hitting the brakes will stop you if you somehow end up floating on top of snow.
Hmmm...sarcasm much? I took that comment seriously until the 100 yards thing. However you're right about brakes working quite well on pavement. Especially with 4 wheels installed on your car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts