2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two years ago I traded in my faithful old petrol Mazda 3 for a brand new Mazda 3 Skyactiv 2.2 diesel.

After 30k miles on the clock I'm getting close to the end of my PCP and warranty.

I scoured the web for information on looking after a diesel with a DPF.
I checked my user manual, and every forum I can think of for more information so thought I'd ask here and see what the wisdom of the forum says.

So far I've taken to driving along at a reasonable clip in urban traffic during the daily commute. I try to give it a little return journey on the way home on a motorway, staying in 4th gear to keep revs over 2000 for 15 minutes or so. With once a week or so a good spin for 50 miles or so on a motorway with high revs to clear any gunk out of the pipes.

1) How do I know if the DPF is doing a regeneration and needs me to keep going a little further to help it complete?

2) How long should a DPF last before it needs to be replaced?

3) How much does it cost to replace a PDF if it fails?

4) Since I don't really know how to check the health of the DPF am I just being overly paranoid and fearful to worry the silly thing could go pop in the near future leaving me with a hefty repair bill?

How long does a DPF last before it needs repair work?

It's a component I can find very little information about.
It's mostly people complaining because they don't so the milage or who got the DPF removed to avoid future problems.
I can't find out how long they should last and how much they cost to repair.

Some only quote for cleaning it around €500, though they don't say if that includes removing and installing the part.

Others whisper dire tales of enormous repair bills of several thousand.
With EGRs, turbos, sensors, DPF and even the exhaust system being replaced.
I half expected to hear about partridges in pear trees.

As someone who has precious little practical knowledge of how to take care of it I'm feeling slightly worried about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
About two years ago I traded in my faithful old petrol Mazda 3 for a brand new Mazda 3 Skyactiv 2.2 diesel.

After 30k miles on the clock I'm getting close to the end of my PCP and warranty.

I checked my user manual, and every forum I can think of for more information so thought I'd ask here and see what the wisdom of the forum says.

So far I've taken to driving along at a reasonable clip in urban traffic during the daily commute. I try to give it a little return journey on the way home on a motorway, staying in 4th gear to keep revs over 2000 for 15 minutes or so. With once a week or so a good spin for 50 miles or so on a motorway with high revs to clear any gunk out of the pipes.

1) How do I know if the DPF is doing a regeneration and needs me to keep going a little further to help it complete?

4) Since I don't really know how to check the health of the DPF am I just being overly paranoid and fearful to worry the silly thing could go pop in the near future leaving me with a hefty repair bill?

It's mostly people complaining because they don't so the milage or who got the DPF removed to avoid future problems.

Some only quote for cleaning it around €500, though they don't say if that includes removing and installing the part.

As someone who has precious little practical knowledge of how to take care of it I'm feeling slightly worried about it.
1)according to my diesel I think when your at idle and standing still you can hear the exhaust better and also when you let the throttle go and shift down it produces more of a bass sound and then I think it is in regen.

2) I think about 150000-200000Km also keeping in mind how your ride style is

3) cost for a replacement DPF is quite big , here in Belgium its aboute 3500-4500 euros for one

4) it wont pop , but It can happen that it breaks and that can be a steep cost , that's why I will program mine out :) an put a bypass

·
Registered
85 Posts
If there wont be any fault with the engine itself, which increase particles emission a lot, DPF should outlast the engine. In case of problems with the motor itself, DPF can be killed (or at least clogged) pretty quickly.
In entertainment system go to Apps and page with 3 items on it - engine, a/c and battery. If at any time during the drive engine there is not highlighted blue, that means that DPF is regenerated. Same time the current consumption goes up and engine (exhaust) makes a bit bassier noise when going down the revs.

·
Registered
10 Posts

My recent thoughts and research shows, that it is crazy to buy a new generation diesel that is out of warranty. Dpf has basically killed them and the rising oil levels is a problem that will occur sooner or later.

I am going to trade in mine for a new civic. Hell, 1.5 turbo Honda engine is not what Honda used to be, but I'd rather have a turbo Honda engine than a dpf turbo diesel.

I think this is the last moment before they start putting in dpf in petrol engines...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Late reply but i'm gunna throw in my couple of cents worth.

I have a 2014 2.2 Skyactiv-D Mazda 3

Answering your questions;
1. MZD Connect in your screen "Fuel Economy Monitor" will display the engine logo not highlighted blue, i-stop light will disappear completely and the exhaust has a woofing booming noise on revs between 1000-2000RPM on the deceleration only. You'll also notice a burning smell and your car may drive a little different. Not to mention fuel economy goes through the roof. Mazda DPF's are time based as they are all assisted regen's, these cars don't get hot enough to do a passive regen which is without assistance on the motorway. The time it takes is anywhere between 15 minutes - 21 minutes. I notice on the highway 15 minutes in average at speeds of 90km/h+.

2. A life is anywhere between 100,000km + depending on drive style, a car always on the highway will burn less often as the particular grams per litre of air will be less, therefore the pressure will stay high throughout the exhaust.

3. A full DPF catalytic converter costs anywhere from 5k AUD including labour. They put the skyactiv DPF's behind the motor near the exhaust header in between the firewall, under the wiper.

4. Be overly paranoid, these things are unpredictable, they are never going to blow. The engine will stop itself well before a fully clogged DPF because no exhaust gas will pass through. Make sure you NEVER turn the car off during a regen, the unburnt diesel falls through into the oil sump causing crankcase dilution.

Come 50,000KM I was noticing my regen was happening every 80-110km highway and city based. I had the waffles to no extent with it.
I had my DPF removed and my god it's amazing now. Note that this is not a legal thing in AUS. Even though we don't have emissions testing the car needs to not produce alot of smoke or you'll get done by the EPA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Late reply but i'm gunna throw in my couple of cents worth.

I have a 2014 2.2 Skyactiv-D Mazda 3

Answering your questions;
1. MZD Connect in your screen "Fuel Economy Monitor" will display the engine logo not highlighted blue, i-stop light will disappear completely and the exhaust has a woofing booming noise on revs between 1000-2000RPM on the deceleration only. You'll also notice a burning smell and your car may drive a little different. Not to mention fuel economy goes through the roof. Mazda DPF's are time based as they are all assisted regen's, these cars don't get hot enough to do a passive regen which is without assistance on the motorway. The time it takes is anywhere between 15 minutes - 21 minutes. I notice on the highway 15 minutes in average at speeds of 90km/h+.

2. A life is anywhere between 100,000km + depending on drive style, a car always on the highway will burn less often as the particular grams per litre of air will be less, therefore the pressure will stay high throughout the exhaust.

3. A full DPF catalytic converter costs anywhere from 5k AUD including labour. They put the skyactiv DPF's behind the motor near the exhaust header in between the firewall, under the wiper.

4. Be overly paranoid, these things are unpredictable, they are never going to blow. The engine will stop itself well before a fully clogged DPF because no exhaust gas will pass through. Make sure you NEVER turn the car off during a regen, the unburnt diesel falls through into the oil sump causing crankcase dilution.

Come 50,000KM I was noticing my regen was happening every 80-110km highway and city based. I had the waffles to no extent with it.
I had my DPF removed and my god it's amazing now. Note that this is not a legal thing in AUS. Even though we don't have emissions testing the car needs to not produce alot of smoke or you'll get done by the EPA.
Wait. Not sure if I understood correctly.

I have a diesel Mazda as well. My Fuel Economy screen shows quite often that the engine is not ready. You mean that's normal and it is a regeneration process? Is it normal for the engine blue highlight to turn off signifying that it is nor ready? Or is it a DPF fault? How do I know if the DPF needs a replacement? So based on what you said at the end it is not even a requirement and can be removed?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I suspect that in most countries it is illegal to remove the DPF. So is speeding over the posted speed limit.

Unless your country actually tests to make sure the DPF is still working, you might consider having it removed or bypassed. Your car and your wallet will love you; unless, of course, the government discovers your sin, at which point your wallet may call you a fool.

·
Registered
51 Posts
how many km between one regeneration and another? on my 2.2 I noticed intervals of about 120km
Mine does every 250-300 km. Using an ODB2 adapter and the "Smart Control Pro" app for Android you can monitor it easly.

Also with a special ODB2 cable (HS/MS) and the forscan app you can force it to do the regens anytime you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts