2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From this:

To this (CRZ interior for reference):

So this may seem like a crazy thing to do, especially since we have 4 doors/back seats...but anybody thought about doing a rear seat delete? I rarely if ever have more than one passenger with me and I don't like people sitting in the back seat. I remember the CRZ and how the back seat is not a seat...its a storage compartment....like 2 large bins.

I was thinking about doing this, may just removing the rear bench part of the back seat and leaving the seat backs. Would be pretty sick to have that storage compartment be made out carbon fiber or transplanting the CRZ storage bins into the 3.

What do you guys think?

I bet pasengers will be like "WTF....you have no back seats?! But but this is a 4 door...."

*They key is to making it all look OEM so it would appear as it came from the factory that way.

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I think it's a crazy idea and would never do it myself. But hey its your car.
You seem to want to delete everything from the car :tongue:
Crazy huh lol, many seem to think so. I bet if I had a FRS and wanted to delete the the back seats it might be more "acceptable" because its small 2 door coupe to begin with and the back seats arerent really all that user friendly...they could have make the FRS a 2 seater like the RX-7.
Whereas in our cars...we are suppose to be practical 4 door sedans/hatches so taking out the back seat seems like a bad thing to do in most people's eyes.

Wanting to delete muffler/resonators, emblems, now seats....I might end up stripping the car. :cheesy::wacko:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
So this may seem like a crazy thing to do, especially since we have 4 doors/back seats...but anybody thought about doing a rear seat delete? I rarely if ever have more than one passenger with me and I don't like people sitting in the back seat. I remember the CRZ and how the back seat is not a seat...its a storage compartment....like 2 large bins.

I was thinking about doing this, may just removing the rear bench part of the back seat and leaving the seat backs. Would be pretty sick to have that storage compartment be made out carbon fiber or transplanting the CRZ storage bins into the 3.

What do you guys think?

I bet pasengers will be like "WTF....you have no back seats?! But but this is a 4 door...."

*They key is to making it all look OEM so it would appear as it came from the factory that way.
If you want to do something really far out and cool that nobody will give anyone crap over...try this! Remove the single rear seat on passenger side and you'd have room for this.

This was a design for some VIP cab service idea that I actually like. I wouldn't mind having this in my car.

In a 2 door it would be way more practical.

Next I think you should do a steering wheel delete! ;)
And it's rendered with a steering wheel delete too! :stuart:

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In a 2 door it would be way more practical.

Next I think you should do a steering wheel delete! ;)
If you want to do something really far out and cool that nobody will give anyone crap over...try this! Remove the single rear seat on passenger side and you'd have room for this.

This was a design for some VIP cab service idea that I actually like. I wouldn't mind having this in my car.

And it's rendered with a steering wheel delete too! :stuart:
lol a steering wheel delete?! Okay now thats taking things to far. :cheesy:

Oh heck no on removing the front passenger seat, and for the reason so that someone in the back can be chauffeured around by me? I dont want anybody sitting in the back. The front I can deal with.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I coulda swore the CRZ had back seats. I keep my back seats down all the time. gives lots of room and keeps the back seats mint.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I love this ideal.

I never created any kids so a back seat has always been a waist to me.

Are lack of 2 door cars in the USA is do to the majority of Americans wanting a family. Several other countries that have less than a majority wanting a family and have more 2 door car options.

MY 2 door options are were screwed in the USA.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My kids have their own cars now so I downsized from an Accord. I would have bought a two door version of the 3 in a second. Appearance of the car was my last consideration. MPG, safety features, and drivability were my primary considerations. I am becoming more enamored with the appearance though.

Reactions: jeremiah

·
Registered
136 Posts
Super cheap seat delete: Fold them down and leave them down.

Yeah yeah, not quite the same. In any case, though, I have driven a four door hatch since 2004 and I'd often leave my seats like this, so in my own opinion, it isn't necessarily visually crazy that a four door car might have no rear seats.

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My kids have their own cars now so I downsized from an Accord. I would have bought a two door version of the 3 in a second. Appearance of the car was my last consideration. MPG, safety features, and drivability were my primary considerations. I am becoming more enamored with the appearance though.

Yeah yeah, not quite the same. In any case, though, I have driven a four door hatch since 2004 and I'd often leave my seats like this, so in my own opinion, it isn't necessarily visually crazy that a four door car might have no rear seats.
Mazda 3 Coupe would be interesting.

How do i fold them down? (SRS) lol
I popped the trunk and pulled on the lever tabs but I cant get the seats down?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well, silly me, I assumed you had the hatch, in which case folding down the seats would be no issue. No clue about the sedan.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sedan is the same thing.... has a 1/3-- 2/3 seating arrangement. Open trunk and pull the two lock knobs and bush the seat backs down.

·
Registered
310 Posts
cr-z comes with backseats, just not in north america
ƒCƒ“ƒeƒŠƒA„*CR-Z„*Honda

Yup. CRX was that way as well. People in the US spend lots of money getting "JDM" back seats for their CRXs, and I never could understand that. 'Course, being that I'm 6'8" tall, I really can't see anyone wanting to sit behind me in my CRX ever in the first place! :D

And I'd've probably bought a CR-Z if I could have just fit in the damned thing. With or without a back seat, I could not wedge my shins under the dashboard. One of the first Hondas I ever tried on that I could not fit in - the other was the S2000.

So I went and tried on a Mazda3, and fit perfectly. Honda's loss, my gain! :D

·
Registered
310 Posts

Exactly. One of the best cars I ever owned was a "2-seat" Honda Accord wagon with a 5-speed manual. Kept the rear seats folded down nearly all the time for hauling stuff and carting the dogs around, and it was perfect that way. The rear doors just made it easier to load stuff in and out, and the perfectly flat load floor meant it held a s**t-ton of stuff. I once managed to get fourteen cases (72 per case) of t-shirts in the thing and deliver them. 1008 t-shirts in a Honda - that should be some sort of record!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts