2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone and sorry if this question has been answered in previous threads.

My name is Maria and I am the new owner of a black on black Mazda 3 I grand touring. I purchased this trim specifically because it had one of the more important features I was looking for in a car...a solid stereo system. However, I am a little confused as far as the addition of satellite radio.

I was told by my dealership that this specific trim has SiriusXM Satellite Radio-compatible audio system (also lists this on official Mazda website).

I have the touch screen navigation audio system setup that came standard with this trim.

You will have to excuse me as I am not familiar with cars and some of the terms. If I wanted satellite radio in my car, what would I have to do? I called my dealership they said installation + labor and taxes would come to approx 550$.

I feel like that's an awful lot for an audio system that is suppose to be compatible...what does this mean? And what exactly needs to be installed? Also, can I get this done from an alternate source such as my own mechanic?

For anyone who can give me answers I thank you very much. I'm not looking to get an external radio rather just have satellite radio integrated into the factory installed compatible audio system.

Thank you so much,

Maria

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Hello everyone and sorry if this question has been answered in previous threads.

My name is Maria and I am the new owner of a black on black Mazda 3 I grand touring. I purchased this trim specifically because it had one of the more important features I was looking for in a car...a solid stereo system. However, I am a little confused as far as the addition of satellite radio.

I was told by my dealership that this specific trim has SiriusXM Satellite Radio-compatible audio system (also lists this on official Mazda website).

I have the touch screen navigation audio system setup that came standard with this trim.

You will have to excuse me as I am not familiar with cars and some of the terms. If I wanted satellite radio in my car, what would I have to do? I called my dealership they said installation + labor and taxes would come to approx 550$.

I feel like that's an awful lot for an audio system that is suppose to be compatible...what does this mean? And what exactly needs to be installed? Also, can I get this done from an alternate source such as my own mechanic?

For anyone who can give me answers I thank you very much. I'm not looking to get an external radio rather just have satellite radio integrated into the factory installed compatible audio system.

Thank you so much,

Maria
Try to get the part number of the equipment your dealer uses. If it's a dealer that's doing it, its either VERY EASY, or plug and play. So you can possibly do it yourself. Im not sure what the dealers use on this. But i never pay a dealer for anything..

·
Registered
127 Posts
I too have a '13 grand touring. Now, you have the navigation screen, correct. If so, press the hard button on the upper left side of the screen that says 'audio.' Now, you see a row of tabs on the screen. The first tab should be "FM1/AM" and the next tab is "SIRIUS." Press the tab and the screen should have the Sirius trademark and your specific 12-digit ID code. Call 1-888-539-7474 to activate a free subscription for a limited time. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the radio already have sirius built in. If it does you need to get a subscription
The audio system is satellite compatible but it is not installed. I went to siriusxm and put my car VIN number and it said my car was not "satellite ready"

This is what confuses me. If my car audio system is satellite compatible but not satellite ready what does this mean? And what exactly needs to be installed for it to work?

I know once it's installed I need the subscription. But before that I don't know what needs to be added to my car.

I would like the satellite to be integrated into my touch screen audio system (with nav) that came standard with the car.

Apparently my dealership wants 550$ for this?? Surely it must be cheaper elsewhere?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I too have a '13 grand touring. Now, you have the navigation screen, correct. If so, press the hard button on the upper left side of the screen that says 'audio.' Now, you see a row of tabs on the screen. The first tab should be "FM1/AM" and the next tab is "SIRIUS." Press the tab and the screen should have the Sirius trademark and your specific 12-digit ID code. Call 1-888-539-7474 to activate a free subscription for a limited time. Good luck.
I don't have SIRIUS next to FM/AM :( I think that's the problem. The grand "s" touring comes standard with satellite ready radio ...the i grand does not...the only way to get it was to get the tech package added which was 1500$ and it came with many things I didn't like. So I'm looking to install just satellite radio standalone.

I'm just very confused as I'm not familiar with cars... To have a car that is satellite compatible but not installed? What does this mean in terms of what needs to be done for me to have it integrated into the factory audio system.

I have the audio system with touch screen and navigation and the Bose stereo.

Thank you

Maria

·
Registered
218 Posts

Thank you so much,

Maria
Maria,

The model that you have does not come with Sirius or xm radio. Compatible means you can easily install it yourself or have a dealer or a professional do it for you. Yourself would be the cheapest method but not effective. The dealer would be the oem looks and parts and warranty covered but very expensive. A professional would be outside the dealership close to oem with minimal warranty. I have included a link for you to guide you through this process. You can click on the icons as to to which suits you. Hopes this helps you

Installation Help - Shop - SiriusXM Radio

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was about to chime in but I realized I had the 2013 iGT w/Tech package. Explains why I have Sirius in my car
She has the same car and spec as yours and so is mine.

Here is a shot of my screen. 2013 i GT Skyactiv with tech package. Are you in Canada? I am in Washington DC.

and my auto headlight is very responsive. I park in the garage and it comes on 2 seconds after I enter the garage. The quickest response compared to my other cars. maybe dealer can adjust the sensitivity?

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
She has the same car and spec as yours and so is mine.

Here is a shot of my screen. 2013 i GT Skyactiv with tech package. Are you in Canada? I am in Washington DC.

and my auto headlight is very responsive. I park in the garage and it comes on 2 seconds after I enter the garage. The quickest response compared to my other cars. maybe dealer can adjust the sensitivity?
If you are asking me, I am in San Antonio. Same place right below my username :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
there is a fix

I posted the same question on here a couple weeks ago.

There is a fix from Mazda that will allow Sirius to be added to the Nav stereos that don't have the Sirius tab on them.

The parts just arrived at my dealership, and I'm going there tomorrow for the install. I'll let you know how it goes and get you the part #'s so you can call your dealer and order them.

Chuck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update

Hi Chuck,

I see you went to the dealer to install the Sirius.
Please let us know how it went

-Does it work fine
-How much were the costs (parts, labor)
-What are the Part numbers
-Anything else we should know

I have the same model as you and MariaLiggs, who originated this thread.

Thank you Chuck.
Also, anyone else with knowledge of this install can feel free to share and help.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Bringing this thread back up, I just got my 2013 i GT and it does not have the Sirius tab, so wondering what Chuck had to purchase to get it to work.

jegonzo3

Reactions: Drake Bond

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too was wondering what would be needed as to being able to get satellite radio in my car as well I just got a 2015 Mazda sport 3 (GS) I know that in order to get the satellite radio I needed to get the grand touring model but I should still be able to get Satellite radio if I were to get someone to integrate it in to the factory audio system should I not? I know for a fact it can be done because when I go under audio sources using the touchscreen XM is an option on the list of audio sources but the only problem is Im unable to click on it as its blocked and every time I try to select it I am not able to do so. I was wondering if I would need to have this professionally done by the dealership or If I could go to a professional audio company and get it installed for half the price.

Thanks Drake,

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
I too was wondering what would be needed as to being able to get satellite radio in my car as well I just got a 2015 Mazda sport 3 (GS) I know that in order to get the satellite radio I needed to get the grand touring model but I should still be able to get Satellite radio if I were to get someone to integrate it in to the factory audio system should I not? I know for a fact it can be done because when I go under audio sources using the touchscreen XM is an option on the list of audio sources but the only problem is Im unable to click on it as its blocked and every time I try to select it I am not able to do so. I was wondering if I would need to have this professionally done by the dealership or If I could go to a professional audio company and get it installed for half the price.

Thanks Drake,
Drake, I went a different route and purchased a Pioneer stereo and SiriusXM unit. However, it can be done on your own.

You would need to purchase the XM items, but it is not cheap. If I remember correctly, it's around $400 or so to purchase everything needed to get XM going on the stock radio. You would then have to pull out the stereo from the dash, connect the stereo and XM unit and mount the XM unit up underneath the glovebox area.

I believe there is a thread somewhere on installing the XM unit, not hard really to do it yourself.

jegonzo3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Classic idiot here, hoping to get a little help in this old thread.

Bought a certified 2013 3i GT sedan two days ago. The dealer's ad, etc. said that it came with Sirius. 3 years ago I bought a new '13 3i Touring hatchback that came with the tech package and some sort've comfort package, so it's pretty much got everything the newly purchased GT has, except, I'm sad to discover, the used GT I bought 2 days ago doesn't have Sirius.

Foolishly this week, seeing the dealer's ad & window sticker claiming the car came with sat. radio I assumed that moving up to the GT meant it came standard. Now I understand that it too needed the tech package to get Sirius.

If this were my mistake, I'd own it but I feel like if they list any option in the ad and on the window sticker I need to be able to count on it being there.

After realizing I had no sat. radio last night I e-mailed the salesman. He responded that they will add it and cover the cost but was unable to tell me whether this would be a nice, clean upgrade or some clown piece attached to the dash ala' my FM converter and 8 track player 40 years ago. They want me to make the 50 minute drive over there to check it out.

I like the car and felt like I got a reasonable deal otherwise. Hopefully they can do it right at no extra cost to me but I would rather skip the Sirius than have some bootleg contraption added on.

Any advice on how to proceed with the dealer would be appreciated.

In the event that they can't or won't do a clean internal install, what would be an appropriate discount for the inadvertent misrepresentation on their part in the ad and window sticker?

Thanks!

·
Registered
215 Posts
As long as they install the stock unit, it will be hidden up under the dash to the right of the stereo.

I looked into getting it myself, but opted to install a stereo myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks JE. I'm hopeful that they would intend to do it the right way. I'm wondering what their cost on the parts would be. Via Edmunds appraisal the price difference between a 2013 GT with and without sat. radio is just under $250 so if they give me any headaches about installing it for free that's what I'll ask for.

I knew Bose was overrated going in but figured they'd be fine for me at this point in my life. The real disappointment when I got my hatchback in '13 still was the lack of power from the head unit. Lately I've been thinking about trying to get a small amp or a better head unit installed if feasible. Tonight with a cd in the sedan I was pleasantly surprised with what I assume is the same basic head unit. Maybe the acoustics in the sedan make for a cleaner, slightly more robust sound at higher volume than I get in the hatch.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah, I priced it out for my Bose, it was around $300.

Yes, Bose are very overrated, that's why I opt to put in my own stereo, plus you do get a better sound out of it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts