2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody else struggling with a Mazda 3 vs CX 30 decision? Of all the cars I have driven lately, turns out you find my two favorites on the same lot.

Mazda 3 Hatch
Better looking, with no unsightly wheel arch gaps and plastic cladding.
Lighter and lower (150lbs, 4 inches) which makes it marginally faster with slightly better handling. Lower profile tires probably contribute as well.
2 Mpg better which ties in with the above
About $1650 cheaper out the door around here at the same top trim level .
Slightly nicer interior trim,(rear door panels,dash) especially in the Red Premium I expect to buy.

CX-30
Taller, with better sight lines and ease in entry/exit especially at the back. More important for us old guys and our old gals. Rear quarters not so blind, bigger back glass .
Better back seat. No more room but much more pleasant space, with a lighter headliner, bigger windows, and controllable rear ac vents. Slightly more headroom too. Generally less claustrophobia inducing.
Similar cargo space, but taller items can be stowed, with easier loading through the bigger hatch.
Higher profile tires for better rim protection, cheaper replacement and theoretically.less road noise and harshness (to be honest I did not tell a clear difference in my short test drives)
Slightly shorter length, for me always a plus.

The handling and acceleration is pretty close between these two. Less tuned in folks might not be able to tell the difference even driving them back to back UNLESS they were forced to hurry.

In short, two great cars by Mazda, no winner, no loser. One slightly flashier with better performance but still practical. The other more practical, but still more fun and better looking than competitor's small hatchbacks.

If it were to be my only car, I would go with the CX-30. (Cliche alert) a veritable swiss army knife of a compact vehicle.

But it's not and I already have a CX-5 (would rather have the CX 30). I will likely buy a Three pretty soon.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just picked up a 3 hatch AWD about a month ago after a CX5, because I wanted a little bit more fun and zip, which I firmly believe I got. But .... these old bones sure feel it every time I get out. I love the car, just not entirely fond of getting my creaky old knees in and out of it. There were no CX30’s on the lot yet when I was looking at the 3, but I really think that even if they had some, I’d still have taken the 3. It’s just so comfortable and fun to drive, I can deal with the brief and minor inconvenience that comes with exiting. Not to mention it’s a great looker. Mazda really did a nice job with this car.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Unless you are going to shuttle more than one passenger on a regular basis, I believe the 3 is the better overall proposition. Good luck with your decision sir!

·
Registered
90 Posts
For me, you answered it on the first Con on the CX30. That plastic cladding is awful looking. For the life of me I don't understand why every Crossover vehicle wants to put some ugly plastic cladding around the wheel arches. It's not like anybody is taking that car on an off road adventure lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is my very first post in this forum as I just bought a 2019 hatchback. I realize the styling is very polarizing and I also realize some people don't like iced coffee. I love both. If you debadged this car and put an Alfa badge on it, it would look the part of an exotic and expensive European car. And, I love the fact that in two months of owning it, I have seen only two others, whereas I could not begin to count the amount of late model Civics that are on the road. Zoom, zoom.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CX-3 had no manual and the hatch looks horrid compared to the older 6 hatchbacks. Neither were an option for me.
This is my very first post in this forum as I just bought a 2019 hatchback. I realize the styling is very polarizing and I also realize some people don't like iced coffee. I love both. If you debadged this car and put an Alfa badge on it, it would look the part of an exotic and expensive European car. And, I love the fact that in two months of owning it, I have seen only two others, whereas I could not begin to count the amount of late model Civics that are on the road. Zoom, zoom.
I continue to be amazed at the number of Civic, Corolla and even Forte buyers there are in relation to 3 buyers. Its not just the possible polarizing look of the hatch because the more conservative sedan does not sell so well either. I don't get it. Civic is Ugly. Corolla and Forte are cheaply made buzz boxes in comparison. According to Consumer Report surveys, Madza is #2 in reliability behind only Lexus. What the heck is Mazda to do to get respect?

·
Super Moderator
4,878 Posts
in two months of owning it, I have seen only two others, whereas I could not begin to count the amount of late model Civics that are on the road. Zoom, zoom.
I continue to be amazed at the number of Civic, Corolla and even Forte buyers there are in relation to 3 buyers. Its not just the possible polarizing look of the hatch because the more conservative sedan does not sell so well either. I don't get it. Civic is Ugly. Corolla and Forte are cheaply made buzz boxes in comparison. Madza is #2 in reliability(behind only Lexus) What the heck is Mazda to do to get respect?
I have yet to see a single Gen 4 hatch on the road.
The low numbers of cars out there just goes to show how few are actually being sold.

·
Registered
90 Posts

1. This is my very first post in this forum as I just bought a 2019 hatchback. I realize the styling is very polarizing and I also realize some people don't like iced coffee. I love both. If you debadged this car and put an Alfa badge on it, it would look the part of an exotic and expensive European car. And, I love the fact that in two months of owning it, I have seen only two others, whereas I could not begin to count the amount of late model Civics that are on the road. Zoom, zoom.
    Welcome to posting on here and I agree some people think a Prius looks good. Some people actually paid money for a Pontiac Aztec and a PT Cruiser lol. Cars are slowly starting to all look alike in their segments and I hate it. If you put 10 debadged SUVs of the same color in a parking lot 90% of the public would be lucky to get half right on what they even were since all look the same. I started out looking for an AWD car as a second vehicle and Mazda wasn't even a thought at the time. Then I started peeking at the CX-5 since loved the front end, then I saw an advertisement for the 3 hatch with AWD and was like what is that car. I feel like I got a steal seeing how this car was $10,000 less than the cars I started out looking at and it looks nicer and more unique than those cars. I felt the previous Mazda 3s were very girly looking and never paid any attention to then at all. For some reason even though this is the Gen 4 part of this forum, the Gen 3 guys come and troll it because it makes them feel better about themselves lol.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Huh. Must be different up here (Canada > Ontario).

Here, and in Quebec, and in N.B., '3s' are all over the place, right back to 1st Gen -- hatches and sedans. Admittedly, not in the numbers of Hyundai, Corolla, Civic, and the like, but still ... lots around.

The Gen 4 ones took a while, but now they are popping up.

On the aesthetics: I think the Gen 4 hatch is strikingly good-looking, and 'different'. But then, I thought the same of our Gen 3 hatch ('15), and our Gen 2 hatch ('11) -- in the context of the time in which they appeared. The Gen 3 one in particular I thought and still think an elegant design. Our Gen 1 hatch ('07)? Not so much, but still a great car for the four years we had it. Our Protege 5 ('03)? Nothing special, but nice enough.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The big issue I had with purchasing a Mazda, was the paucity of Mazda dealerships around here. There are two Honda dealerships within 7 miles of my home and only one Mazda dealership within 25 miles. I went in to test drive a Civic and there happened to be a Mazda dealership right next to it. So, I looked, drove, and ended up getting the Mazda. If there was greater availability I believe that more people would test drive and decide that this is a very viable alternative.

·
Registered
135 Posts
On the west cost I've only seen 2 other Gen 4 hatch owners, of of them "Golden Ruled" me haha. But I've seen more gen 4 sedans many gen 3 hatches, and CX-5s everywhere.

I like having a less common (but affordable) car and it's one of the reasons I stuck with mazda. First car was a used 2nd gen 6 that depreciated nicely by the time I bought it lol.

The lack of mod offerings on eBay/AliExpress for the hatch vs sedan is a little dissapointing but aftermarket body kits are slowly making their way for the hatch.

Also the hatch is a head turner, took me a while to warm up to the c pillar tbh. But I've seen several people check it out through the rearview while I've been sitting inside lol.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The big issue I had with purchasing a Mazda, was the paucity of Mazda dealerships around here. There are two Honda dealerships within 7 miles of my home and only one Mazda dealership within 25 miles. I went in to test drive a Civic and there happened to be a Mazda dealership right next to it. So, I looked, drove, and ended up getting the Mazda. If there was greater availability I believe that more people would test drive and decide that this is a very viable alternative.
I guess it depends on the area, I've heard Mazda doesn't do too well in the US even compared to Canada so the US market loses out on alot of features like heated steering wheels and rear parking sensors (I think). Europe always gets the best stuff tho -.-
E.g. for dealer networks in Canada>BC there are 9 within 20miles. But there is just too much variance between so people's experiences will vary between detailers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is very nice to not be a lemming and drive the same car as everyone else. In California, it seems Teslas are everywhere. But, I am very happy in my 3 series hatch. I believe the CX 30 would give similar enjoyment. I don’t go off-roading so the extra high clearance is not needed currently.

When my sons have asked for car advice, I have always asked them this: if everyone in the world were blind what car would you drive? You have to please yourself, not everyone else. If there was nobody else around, I would still drive a Mazda 3.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts