2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MSN news just published an article stating that there are six really good hatchbacks. One of them is the Mazda 3. They six were not "rank ordered," just listed in turn, though the Mazda 3 was at the top of the list. Here's what they said about it.

MSN News said:
The Mazda3 hatchback is an understated, quality-built, small five-door. It does what you need it to do-a seemingly small achievement that many cars don't meet. Because it is comfortable and more playful than some of its competitors, the Mazda3 maintains a top ranking as a solid daily driver. Available with up to 184 horsepower, the Mazda3 can push the boundaries of what a non-sporty hatchback can do.

Here's Drive staffer Ben Keeshin's take on the Mazda3:

"The Mazda3 is a great little car, more beautiful than it has a right to be. Though the as-tested price is typically high for a press car, all the good stuff, looks included, comes on the $25k version. It's a car you'd stick with even after your ship came in. The head-up display is crap, but otherwise, the Mazda 3 is best-friend material-through thick, thin and, yes, snow."

Confidence inspiring, Northeast-proven, and affordable. A solid choice!
The 6 Best Hatchbacks on Sale in 2017

The other five hatches listed are: Chevy Cruze, GTI, Subaru Impreza, Chevy Bolt, and the Ford Focus RS.

·
Registered
988 Posts
This is my personal point of view and not a biased opinion in regards to what I think about the list:

Mazda 3: Solid package, great looks and price. (Wished had a bigger engine and more HP)
Chevy Cruze: I definitely don't like the brand or their styling. (Probably never will)
GTI: Would never considering buying a car from VW after the diesel gate , also did you know in Israel a 230hp VW Golf GTI costs approx. 64,500$ No Add-Ons! LMAO! No thank you sir! In contrast, a brand new Mazda 3 fuly equipped is approx. 40,000$ here.
Subaru Impreza: Solid option but the real king here is the WRX STI.
Chevy Bolt:Same as Chevy Cruze but IMO this is a "Mini", why would I purchase a mini???
Ford Focus RS: Excellent option for sportiness and performance (Too bad it's not sold in Israel and it will be discontinued in 2018 )

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
This is my personal point of view and not a biased opinion in regards to what I think about the list:

Mazda 3: Solid package, great looks and price. (Wished had a bigger engine and more HP)
Chevy Cruze: I definitely don't like the brand or their styling. (Probably never will)
GTI: Would never considering buying a car from VW after the diesel gate , also did you know in Israel a 230hp VW Golf GTI costs approx. 64,500$ No Add-Ons! LMAO! No thank you sir! In contrast, a brand new Mazda 3 fuly equipped is approx. 40,000$ here.
Chevy Bolt:Same as Chevy Cruze but IMO this is a "Mini", why would I purchase a mini???
Ford Focus RS: Excellent option for sportiness and performance (Too bad it's not sold in Israel and it will be discontinued in 2018 )
Pretty much the same here. I'd say the 3 is excellent overall value and has proven to be quite reliable. Fun to drive too. I love how it feels on the road and that's a huge thing to me.

Chevy can suck it, way too many reliability problems through GM models. Their recalls tend to be pretty serious.

VW I'd never buy either. As you've stated, overpriced and the emissions scandal was disgusting. They're also very difficult to work on by design. That's an instant no to me, I like doing my own maintenance.

Subaru I like, but they are very expensive for what they are. I also feel that they are getting very behind technologically. They're nowhere near what mazda has done with the skyactiv motor.

Chevy bolt....why is this even on the list?

The focus id be interested in. When I was car shopping ford wasn't offering a good option in the hatch with a manual. As soon as you ask for stick, you get almost no options. I hate how some manufacturers treat manual drivers like garbage. Mazda doesn't do that.

·
Banned
125 Posts
Well I know the haters are going to get stuck into me for saying this, but I think that this car is a bit over rated. I'm not going to list the things that I don't like about it, apart from the oil burning problem that my one has had since day one, and the way the dealership just fobs me off about it.
I won't be getting another one after this one. I enjoyed my Subaru before this one, and had donkeys years out of it, and not once did it ever breakdown, it was a great car, and is still going to this day, and I might add not burning any oil.
Yes I think that when I'm finished with this thing, I'm going back to a Subaru.
If I seem a bit bitter then it's because I am. I've never had a brand new car before. I'm not a rich man and saved my money up for this car, only to be disappointed with it. I wish I hadn't but it's too late now. I won't be making the same mistake again.
Zoom zoom my arse.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have had 2 Focus's since i started driving. I had an 2000 SVT and most recently a 2013 ST. I loved both of those cars as they were super fun to drive. I would never consider buying a Chevy, my dad worked for GM for 25 years and never even owed one, he has always drove an F-150. All the stuff with VW turned me off, and although Subies are nice, i feel they lack some features that make it feel like an "upscale" car. I really like the Mazda, this is my 3rd one (MS3, Tribute, M3). Their dealerships have always treated me nice, customer service has always been top notch and the cars have always driven very well. I will always probably either drive a Ford or a Mazda, primarily because I have never had an issue with them.

·
Registered
660 Posts

[B]Chevy Cruze: I definitely don't like the brand or their styling. (Probably never will) [/B]
The prior gen Cruze actually impressed me with it's styling and even the interior was pretty nice - guy at work bought one and his is really nice i must say - i genuinely like it. Then the latest generation came out, styling completely dumbed down seemingly to compete with the hyundais and nissans of the world. I want reliability and good driving dynamics, but if it looks like crap, i't hard for me to get excited about a car. So agreed on the latest version.

new imprezas are pretty nice, but the engine is not too impressive plus CVTs. Currently the Mazda 3 and Civic are the front runners for me, and the civic looks too tacky IMO.

·
Registered
157 Posts
After 7 months of owning my 2017 GT 6psd hatch I really believe this is one of the underrated vehicles. Really glad I chose it over the Civic. The only disappointment has been the power vs fuel economy. The fuel economy numbers I am getting are not impressive for the power output of the motor. They correspond more with an engine putting out 250hp or more since I am getting only 22-23mpg.

I recall getting 21mpg consistently in my Acura TL Type S that I had owned, and this was in 2001 and it was a V6 with 270+ hp. Surely engine tech has to be much better now so expected more.

Still, I am very happy with the car overall.

Subaru I like, but they are very expensive for what they are. I also feel that they are getting very behind technologically. They're nowhere near what mazda has done with the skyactiv motor.
Subarus are nice but overpriced... a new WRX Limited with all the bells and whistles is close to $40k on the road (with taxes and everything) and after spending that kind of money the interior looks like it came from a Corolla. Infact, up until recently the infotainment had a screen that resembled something from the neolithic period. They are trying to improve but it still screams cheap. There is no excuse for a $40k car to have an interior so cheap. When I compared the WRX interior to a Mazda 3 it was no contest... the M3 was sooo much nicer looking!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had my 2017 Mazda 3 about 3 months now. First Mazda I've ever owned. Purchased because of positive magazine Reviews. So Far it's been great. The only thing that I don't like are the front end paint chips, and no gauges. I wanted to test drive the Golf, and Cruze hatch, but dealers didn't have a manual transmission in stock. The Mazda Dealer had 2 or 3. 2 were 2.5 Touring models. That's what I bought. I've always owned Chevy's and have had good luck with them. I would definitely tested a subaru, but they are out of my price range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts