2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 325 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good news everyone! Mat from OV Tuning has just informed me that MazdaEdit will be releasing a new version over the next few days that will have OBD support for 2014-16 Mazda 3 skyactiv 2.0s and 2.5s.

This means that we will now be able to tune ALL 3rd generation Mazda 3s! So far we've seen great results on OV tunes done on supported Mazda 6 & CX-5 skyactiv 2.5s, as well as 2nd gen Mazda 3 skyactiv 2.0s (>12-20% gains in hp). To get more information on the tunes, visit OV Tuning's new website created with their partner, Peak Performance Automotive:

http://www.peakperformance-tuning.com/collections/mazda

·
Registered
578 Posts
I might be up for one if everything is in order. Would love to get a little more power. Looked at the link too and everything seems legit and all the 6 owners look really satisfied with their tunes too, which is always a great sign.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good news everyone! Mat from OV Tuning has just informed me that MazdaEdit will be releasing a new version over the next few days that will have OBD support for 2014-16 Mazda 3 skyactiv 2.0s and 2.5s.

This means that we will now be able to tune ALL 3rd generation Mazda 3s! So far we've seen great results on OV tunes done on supported Mazda 6 & CX-5 skyactiv 2.5s, as well as 2nd gen Mazda 3 skyactiv 2.0s (>12-20% gains in hp). To get more information on the tunes, email Mat:
[email protected]
You beat me to it. I was just going to post this when I saw Mat post it on 6club.

I think you all would be happy with the results. I am in the process of tuning my 6 but will not tune my 3 (wife's car).

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is great news! Can you answer a question for me in this regard?

Will the MazdaEdit software only tune fuel maps, or are you able to tune other parameters (specifically the throttle body) as well?

I rarely every 'race' my car (at WOT or near redline), but I drive 'spirited' fairly frequently! Gaining some power at the top doesn't interest me near as much as perking up the driving experience, namely, reducing the throttle delays caused by the ECU smoothing everything out for improved fuel economy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is great news! Can you answer a question for me in this regard?

Will the MazdaEdit software only tune fuel maps, or are you able to tune other parameters (specifically the throttle body) as well?

I rarely every 'race' my car (at WOT or near redline), but I drive 'spirited' fairly frequently! Gaining some power at the top doesn't interest me near as much as perking up the driving experience, namely, reducing the throttle delays caused by the ECU smoothing everything out for improved fuel economy.

Oh man yes! I had a terrible experience this morning. There was a guy on a bicycle and I had the opportunity to pass him; and at 24-27mph, I went from 5>4 gear hoping to gain some torque, pressed on the gas, and nearly nothing. I was so disappointed, and a bit scared as there was a truck coming. I definitely had enough time to make it at the disgustingly slow acceleration I was experiencing, but what if I didn't? My point is.. the throttle response when you really need it, is non-existent.

Sent from my iPhone 5

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'm more or less interested from the perspective of smoothing out my drive. I noticed the timing advances on the skyactiv don't seem to make a lot of sense. They jump back and forth a lot, it's a lot like looking at the old 02 sensor maps.

·
Official Ricer
392 Posts
This is most exciting as I've already gotten intake and exhaust
This will definitely be the next step

·
Official Ricer
392 Posts
Do you necessarily need an intake and exhaust?
Nope, but you'll prolly get the most out of your upgrades after a tune

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
For the intake, @chris_top_her did a test with his OV tuned skyactiv 2.5 using the stock air box & filter vs. stock air box & high flow filter vs. SRI. He found that the car brought in the most air flow (and hence created more power) with the SRI than the stock box with high flow filter, while both flowed better than the stock system on the same tune settings (but with proper MAF sensor calibration). There was a large difference between all 3 (check out the Facebook Mazda 3 Tuning group for the actual numbers). These differences would not likely be as large when running the stock tune.

For the exhaust, the tune will bring in more air leading to more exhaust flow. The stock cat-back exhaust on a 3d gen Mazda 3 skyactiv 2.0 is about 2" diameter (not sure about the 2.5), which is good for around 150 hp. The quiet stock muffler is also a bit restricting. With a tune, you will be making more power, and hence wider piping & a high flow muffler would help. Reducing intake & exhaust restrictions will help produce more gains with the tune. More aggressive tune settings can be applied to a car with an aftermarket intake & exhaust.

·
Registered
1 Posts
you definitely don't NEED intake and exhaust to benefit from a tune. Factory tunes are never 100% perfect and ideal. But have other modifications that help increase airflow into and out of the engine help the engine to create power easier.

An engine is just a big air pump. make it easier to for the pump to suck in air. you will see benefits of that.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
So how is the flash done? Download software to my laptop and use a usb cable to the OBD port and flash? I have a K&N filter in the stock box and that's all I'm planning to do. 175-180hp would be nice from this 2.0L motor and still keep the high MPG. Finally able to get 40mpg from a tank, so I'd like to keep that.

I see intro price is $125. How much will it be after this?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know my 3 is electronically limited to 120BHP, but there is a way more expensive 165BHP version in The Netherlands. Multiple tuners have confirmed that it is only electronically limited and that the engines are technically identical.

How hard would it be for a noob to get this limiter removed with the MazdaEdit software, without a Dyno. The average seems to be a 180BHP tune with the European 2.0l engine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
EcuTek has now confirmed that the Skyactiv-D engine is supported and i tested their software on my car and it worked :)

Waiting for a new mapping now, so will be posting here when its all good under the hood!

This is a reeaaaaal happy happy day :D

·
Registered
530 Posts
So how is the flash done? Download software to my laptop and use a usb cable to the OBD port and flash? I have a K&N filter in the stock box and that's all I'm planning to do. 175-180hp would be nice from this 2.0L motor and still keep the high MPG. Finally able to get 40mpg from a tank, so I'd like to keep that.

I see intro price is $125. How much will it be after this?
From what I read. It is $125 for the tune but you have to buy the mazdaedit software which is $250 and the the tactrix cable with runs about $150 new.

So just base you are looking at $550 for a tune.

1 - 20 of 325 Posts