2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Bottom line on a NA engine even with headers, exhaust, and intake you may gain 10-15 hp. Only way to get power is a tune. Bottom line man. Even a speed is the same. Exhaust and intake will help a little but a tune is where the power is unlocked.
An intake may gain a couple hp up top but lose some down low. So it's a wash honestly. Intake is more for looks and sound.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sorry. if your asking me, i have not. Not sure what acceleration tests are. But the only power mod I have is SRI which doesnt add anything. I know with my suspension mods. i easily grip the ground more and have better acceleration.
You don't actually have to go to a track to do it, but a same place, flat stretch where you can do a timed acceleration test with a stop watch from 0-60, 40-60 and a marked off 1/4 mile run. It's best to do it in both directions and with a full tank of gas and with the same driver and generally in the same weather/temperature. If there are any appreciable increases in HP with engine mods they should show up quite clearly.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Bottom line on a NA engine even with headers, exhaust, and intake you may gain 10-15 hp. Only way to get power is a tune. Bottom line man. Even a speed is the same. Exhaust and intake will help a little but a tune is where the power is unlocked.
An intake may gain a couple hp up top but lose some down low. So it's a wash honestly. Intake is more for looks and sound.

Good point and I'm still not sure about the actual benefits of a cold air or short ram intakes, other than the sound (they do sound cool), that's why I was asking if any one has done any actual acceleration tests, before and after.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Well yea that's what a tune does. As of now there isn't any tuning for a NA 3 available.

I'm talking only about the engine tuning, not suspension, etc. I was wondering if there was an electronic device available for the layman (non pro mechanic) that would be user friendly enough to use to increase engine performance and at an affordable price. I have no idea what's out there and how much of a difference changes to the engine timing/carburation, etc. would make anyway.

Even if you installed the custom air intakes, short or cold, and then tuned the engine up for maximum output, would there be that big a difference in hp/torque and thus, acceleration or is the non speed 2.5 already pretty much at it's top potential and investments would be better served spent towards wheels/tires, better sway bars, shocks, etc.?

Thanks,

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Honestly yea I think unless you have a speed, suspension and tires are the best mods. This is just my opinion on it. With my old hhr I had a tune on it. All I could get safely was an extra 12hp. Sure you could get more but it started to become dangerous on the engine components. And 12hp really did not change hardly anything. It felt a little bit faster but not much.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You don't actually have to go to a track to do it, but a same place, flat stretch where you can do a timed acceleration test with a stop watch from 0-60, 40-60 and a marked off 1/4 mile run. It's best to do it in both directions and with a full tank of gas and with the same driver and generally in the same weather/temperature. If there are any appreciable increases in HP with engine mods they should show up quite clearly.
No. power isnt something this car offers and ive learned to accept it. Only thing ive done similar to your suggestion is using some OBD II reader device thingy and bluetoothing it to my phone. it calculates certain things including a 0-60 + reads your car for you. Using the same machine and same phone. I did a 0-60 in 8.2sec and my friend's stock FRS did 7.8sec.

·
Registered
347 Posts
On a day-to-day basis the 2.5 has more than enough power to get out of its own way. Obviously this is my opinion and only mine. I use the manual feature in traffic to stay in the power band and never have any issues. The torque and good throttle response make it a very good point and squirt into a certain spot mobile for me. Most people are half asleep or texting or whatevering when they drive so for me HP numbers and 0-60 times are pretty irrelevant at that moment. Now that my car has 60K on it the engine is thoroughly broken in it is even quicker than on day one.

·
Registered
718 Posts
No. power isnt something this car offers and ive learned to accept it. Only thing ive done similar to your suggestion is using some OBD II reader device thingy and bluetoothing it to my phone. it calculates certain things including a 0-60 + reads your car for you. Using the same machine and same phone. I did a 0-60 in 8.2sec and my friend's stock FRS did 7.8sec.
Yea, it's not earth shaker for pickup, but it has enough and the main thing I like anyway, even stock, is the handling.. it's a lot of fun to drive in the twisties. I haven't taken it to a track, mainly because I can't afford to get into it that heavily with the cost of tires, etc..

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Yea, it's not earth shaker for pickup, but it has enough and the main thing I like anyway, even stock, is the handling.. it's a lot of fun to drive in the twisties. I haven't taken it to a track, mainly because I can't afford to get into it that heavily with the cost of tires, etc..
Exactly. Now if it handles so good stock imagine changing some suspension components.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This really makes me want to get my 2.0 non skyactive to a dyno as soon as possible. I'd be happy if I'm making 140hp at the wheels honestly. I've used that bluetooth logger too. I was able to get 7.9sec. But all of my exhaust is different from everyone elses.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
This really makes me want to get my 2.0 non skyactive to a dyno as soon as possible. I'd be happy if I'm making 140hp at the wheels honestly. I've used that bluetooth logger too. I was able to get 7.9sec. But all of my exhaust is different from everyone elses.
140 at the wheels is WAY optimistic lol

·
Registered
518 Posts
See my dyno chart. my 2.5L gets 140.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts