2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone
As the new owner of a 2012 Mazda 3 2.0L GTA Trim im rather happy with the purchase. But today after some weeks after i received the car i have noticed that the car has a two types of paint on the sides. The upper side is normal glossy paint but the lower part, like 4-5 inches has a different textures, like orange skin :)

The car does not have side skirts.

At first i tough that the car has been damaged during shipping and painted by the dealer (it was a car brought on order) but both sides are similar. There is a fade between the 2 types of paint so look like was done on purpose.

I'm thinking that the lower part is done that way to be chips proof.

Anyone has notice the same on their cars? The color is velocity red in case it matters

Thanks

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Pics might help and welcome to the forum EBJDM

·
Registered
260 Posts
My 2011 VRM hatchback has sideskirts, but my sons' 2001 Miata SE has the "orange-peel" lower on his car, as did my 1981 RX-7. This is, indeed, a factory-installed rock and ding protector.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The paint is normal. It's called "orange peel". Mine has it too.

Reactions: EBJDM

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
so your car has the same look ?! starting with orange peel and fading into normal paint ? <later edit> i just seen the above comment.. so i got it right.. is done on purpose :)
never seen this on other car brands so was weird at first

thanks guys :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
so your car has the same look ?! starting with orange peel and fading into normal paint ? <later edit> i just seen the above comment.. so i got it right.. is done on purpose :)
never seen this on other car brands so was weird at first

thanks guys :)
Yeah. It might be done to help prevent paint chips near the bottom or something.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've noticed this on my 3 also. Like the others stated it's "orange peel" or I've also heard it call FLA (Fat Ladies Ass). I really only notice it along the bottom of my doors. To me it looks like Mazda is trying to save money by applying less paint to the areas of the car that are less visible. If you look under the car you can see how the paint fades into the underbody.

·
Fighter of Foo
187 Posts
Lots of car companies do this (and have been for decades). It's just more prevalent on certain companies cars. Don't sweat it, it's normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts