2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any one seen this?
Mazda 3 Club Sport (click here)

"Equipped with a SKYACTIV-G 2.5-liter gasoline engine, the Club Sport 3 features a modified SKYACTIV-Drive six-speed manual transmission derived from Mazda's CX-5 compact SUV. Using a short 4.7:1 final drive ratio, the gearing is 20 percent shorter than in a SKYACTIV-G 2.0-liter-equipped Mazda3. The Club Sport 3 also utilizes a Wavetrac® helical limited-slip differential for additional torque. Added performance features include a CUSCO coilover kit, a Racing Beat performance exhaust and Brembo two-piece, six-piston 380x32 drilled brake rotors. Rays 57 Motorsport G07FXX 20-inch Black and Machining-colored 10-spoke wheels are packaged with Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 235/35R19 road-gripping performance tires." :w00t 1:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a search for "club sport" and didn't find anything, must have missed it.
Not sure I like the all red interior, but the specs and out side look are pretty wild.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
I don't think it was under its own thread. It's mixed in with one of the older 2014 threads I believe.

It is a sick looking 3 though.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
If they ever do offer a diesel it won't ever have the features of this. Shame. This would be awesome as a production car.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the point of the changed gearing and how is the Wavetrac® helical limited-slip differential different than the current one? Is the goal to bring the torque down to lower RPS, but wouldn't that then limit top speed?

Also, it's interesting that they chose a Racing Beat performance exhaust .

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
What is the point of the changed gearing and how is the Wavetrac® helical limited-slip differential different than the current one? Is the goal to bring the torque down to lower RPS, but wouldn't that then limit top speed?

Also, it's interesting that they chose a Racing Beat performance exhaust .
Changing the gearing affects how it accelerates. the limited slip helps keeps power on the ground. The current one probably doesn't even have a limited slip at all. the only car with a limited slip I know of that is mazda is the Speeds. Other than that it's Open Diff.

Top speed doesn't win races, acceleration does

·
Registered
197 Posts
... the only car with a limited slip I know of that is mazda is the Speeds. Other than that it's Open Diff.
Well, some manual transmission Miatas have them. (Club has it standard and GTs w/the Suspension Package) That's the only non-Mazdaspeed Mazda car I can think of with an LSD. If you are talking the 3, then yeah, I believe you are right. No LSD for the non-Speed cars.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Surprised nobody has called Mazda for the Wavetrac diff. I want it. The Sky-2.5 and 2.0 should share the same transmission architecture so we really should be able to shoehorn the diff into any Skyactiv car so far if we can get our hands on it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Surprised nobody has called Mazda for the Wavetrac diff. I want it. The Sky-2.5 and 2.0 should share the same transmission architecture so we really should be able to shoehorn the diff into any Skyactiv car so far if we can get our hands on it.
Yeah, Mazda is pretty good about that. I know with the older Miatas (1 & 2nd Gen) you could replace the open diffs with an LSD with just a straight swap, no mods needed.

I don't know about the current cars because my modding days are long past me, but I'd bet you would be able to do the same thing with the current cars. Give it time, I'm sure somebody will try it soon and let us know. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Putting a diff in a transaxle is a lot different than just swapping a rear end on a Miata. Labor is what sucks on fwd/transaxle. The whole tranny has to come apart to do it

·
Registered
197 Posts
Putting a diff in a transaxle is a lot different than just swapping a rear end on a Miata. Labor is what sucks on fwd/transaxle. The whole tranny has to come apart to do it
Agreed, but my point was that chances are that one can probably get the parts to fit with little or no modifications. In my experience with several Miatas, Mazda was pretty good about having interchangable components. And over the years friends have shared similar experiences with other Mazda models. So, I'm betting the 3 will be the same and that someone will try diff swap on the 3 at some point and let us know one way or the other. :biggrin:

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Lol that's not my point. Wavetrac doesn't offer this diff to customers, only Mazda corporate has this single example as far as I know. So that means that Wavetrac has made at least one, implying that they at least have the knowledge (if not the tooling) to make more. I'm not sure if the 6MT and 6AT cars use the same diff though, that's my only hangup.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't know about the 3. With Miatas only the MT cars have LSDs. But I know with the older Miatas an LSD could be swapped in place of an open diff with no mods. So, I'd guess the diff you want could be swapped in place of the stock diff with little or no mods. Though, I don't know what other components were modified on this car. :dunno:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Probably a lot of electronic control circuit changes as well, right?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts