2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Actually, it's ranked #1 in the compact segment. Each car listed is top in its category.

I have to say, when I was shopping for my car, there wasn't much difference between new and 2-3 years old, even with 30-40K miles. So much for the old adage of a car losing 50% of its value as soon as you drive it off the lot!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I don't really agree (I'd really think the Civic, Corolla, and Golf TDI do a better job) but there's a ton of studies out there showing different figures so....

I put so many km on my vehicles that i dont even consider resale when buying my cars.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That list makes me skeptical...
Dodge Charger? Lol
mini ? Lol
Land Rover? Lol

Where is the Honda civic and Toyota Corolla? Come on now...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Once one of my managers got Mercedes S class, next year it depreciated worse than Honda Civic. I calculate in terms of % value in comparison.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with some of you in that I have seen different surveys about reliability and resale value, and the results are different. I usually go by JD Power & Associates. The Hondas, Toyotas & Subarus have a higher resale value than Mazda per JD P&A. They also rate Mazda just above average in reliability and also # of initial problems (1st year, etc.), whereas Honda & Toyota models are in the top 10 usually or top 15 in reliability. There must be a reason that Honda sells ~1.4M cars in north America and Mazda around 300K. Honda sells more Civics (or more Accords) in 1 year (around 400,000 each model) than all the Mazda cars/models put together.

I am not a Mazda hater. I just bought my new 2015 3S GT today, but seeing as I am already having problems with it, I am not too optimistic about the future reliability, and I think it actually answers a lot of questions for me, why Honda and Toyota sell so many more cars than everyone else. I have owned 5 Hondas in the last 21yrs and none of them saw the inside of a dealership more than once or twice for repairs, and I sold them all with 170K - 180K miles on the odo. Here I am with a new 2015 Mazda 3 that I bought today, and I am already scheduled to go back with an issue. This is the kind of stuff that people report when they are sent a survey, or called to take a survey. The # of problems and # of vehicles sold dictate the Resale Value of a car.

Harry

·
Registered
15 Posts
To be fair, people who buy Toyotas and Hondas are typically people who are not fussy about cars. Brands that attract enthusiasts will by nature have pickier buyers more likely to notice a problem or perceived problem with a vehicle.

I'm sure most of us have been in a car with steering problems, slipping transmissions, out of spec alignment, vibrations, brake problems, creeks and noises, etc. and the owner of the car thinks their old rattlebox car is perfect.

·
Registered
103 Posts
To be fair, people who buy Toyotas and Hondas are typically people who are not fussy about cars. Brands that attract enthusiasts will by nature have pickier buyers more likely to notice a problem or perceived problem with a vehicle.

I'm sure most of us have been in a car with steering problems, slipping transmissions, out of spec alignment, vibrations, brake problems, creeks and noises, etc. and the owner of the car thinks their old rattlebox car is perfect.
truth in this but I will say that my girlfriends 09 corolla has been running very strong.

The worst luck I ever had was with my Nissan...and supposedly Nissan has good reliability :001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I do think Japanese cars are reliable generally. Had a Toyota Celica for 8 years with no problems whatsoever. Also two of my family had Japanese cars that were very reliable.
This is my first venture into Mazda after company cars for several years, so will see.

·
Registered
66 Posts

I don't think your statement about people who buy Hondas (or Toyotas) is true at all as far as not being picky. You think if a Civic or Corolla owner had a rattle, or their car pulled, vibrated or made noises, they would not take it to the dealer under warranty or try to address the problems? They are no different than Mazda owners. Maybe you are thinking of people with 10-15yr old Chevys..? :) They know those cars are not worth the $ to fix problems so they just live with it.

BTW, 2 of my neighbors have a 2008 and a 2009 MZ3 HB, and they are both women who are mothers with children, and one has an infant. I highly doubt they are car enthousiasts. Not every one is an enthousiast that buys a Mazda, just like Honda and other brands.

However, Honda makes the Civic and Accord in 2-dr/COUPE. Mazda does not make the 3 or 6 with 2 doors. I would think the majority of the people that buy a 4-door car is because they want to put a child seat in the back or have room for the family/kids, or just want a car with less insurance (coupes have higher insurance). The majority of the people who buy the 2-door Honda Coupe models are enthousiasts. That is why Honda makes coupes and makes them more aggressive looking. Not only that, my '06 Civic (and that generation from '06 to '10) has a more sporty and stiffer suspension than the Civic sedan models. Why? Because Honda made the coupes for enthousiasts.

Another thing - Honda makes most of their cars with a 5-sp. or 6-sp. manual transmission, even today's Accord coupe and sedans. The 3S didn't have a manual until the 2nd year out. To me if you purchase a manual transmission then you are a true enthousiast. You are more engaged with the car and want to be in control of your power and drive train, RPM's, etc. I am still not convinced that many automatic car owners are real enthousiasts.

In addition there are many huge Honda forums hundreds of times bigger than this forum or any other Mazda forum, with thousands of posts per day and most of them are about modifications. There is a huge Honda aftermarket, much bigger than Mazda's or MZ3, but I am sure the Miata aftermarket comes close, but I am addressing mainly the Civic and 3 since they compete in the compact segment for the most part.
As soon as a new Civic model and/or engine comes out, there are 3 dozen aftermarket companies a year later with not only a ton of suspension aftermarket products, but engine mods, various ECU's, flash programs, lighter flywheels, lighter pulleys, throttle body, Cold Air Intake, and I can go on and on. Here we are 1.5 years later after the introduction of the new Mazda 3 and what do we have? You can count the # of aftermarket 3 parts with your fingers. And is there anyone that makes shocks/struts for our MZ3 yet? I don't believe so. There is no comparison when it comes to Honda Civic aftermarket vs. MZ3. Koni, Tokiko and others had shocks available for my '06 Civic in early 2007, not to mention there were 6-7 different rear sway bars I could choose from, not 2 or 3. Honda also has their HFP line of parts which they started 8 years ago. "Honda Factory performance". My '06 Civic rides on HFP shocks and springs which lower the car 0.6" and have higher spring rates and stiffer shock valving.

Anyway you get the picture. Sorry my post comes across as arguementative. I just think you made a very broad statement that I don't find accurate.

All that being said, I am happy and congratulate Mazda for making a sleek sporty compact car with decent handling and enough power to compete with the Civic Si, Golf TSI (and maybe even GTI in some ways) and others in its class. This is why I made the "switch" and bought a 2.5 3, and patiently awaiting the return of the Mazdaspeed 3.

Harry

·
Registered
33 Posts
You must really love Hondas.

Hondas have significantly greater market share than Mazda, which is why you see more forums, aftermarket parts, etc. No one is trying to generalize who is an enthusiast and who isn't, of course you will always have a bell curve.

I strongly dislike my Civic and corporate Honda. It's my go-to car for grocery shopping and the dog. The only plus I can think of is that it's very simple to work on, but that has more to do with cars from that era (late 90s) than it does the make of the vehicle. Although, I feel like I would be more likely to die in it than it will die on me. That leads me to be skeptical of that list given the lack of Honda or Toyota representation.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ha ha, yeah I can relate.. I can see the grocery store drives and the dog if you have not tried to improve your aging Civic a little or mod it, or if it has a lot of miles on it after all these years, and not worth modding it. I hope you don't have an auto.. That would make it more boring.

I had a '97 Civic DX black HB manual with 106hp. Maybe same gen as yours.. I got a great deal on a new one (for $10K out the door) in Feb. '97 that I couldn't refuse one day after a big snow storm at the Honda dealership when the show room was empty after it dumped 1ft of snow. The DX didn't even have power steering or a CD player, but it was just for my 160mi. round trip commute to work (NY - NJ). A year and a half later or so I started getting bored with the car although I thought its double-wish bone suspension (which newer Civics no longer have) and its 2,200lb weight were perfect, and the car actually handled really well with some better rubber or summer tires on it. Car & Driver and AutoWeek had also road tested it 0-60 in 8.7sec (it was a light car and no P/S, and yes they tested the DX Hatchback!).
Anyway I added a Neuspeed 19mm sway bar to it and some Koni Yellows (single-adjustable) with H&R Springs that lowered the car mildly, along with some light 15" Kosei K1 alloys and good 205-50-15 rubber, and the car was transformed! Handling and road holding was awesome. I started liking the car again and had a lot of fun with it for several more trouble-free years. I think the Civics from the 90's were the most reliable cars in the world (with the 90's Miata a close 2nd). I sold the Civic DX HB with 175k mi. on the odo to a guy that started autocrossing it! 2 years later with 240k mi. on it the guy was still auto-xing it. He then sold it to someone else who put a Type-R B18C5 motor and tranny in it and and he went on to travel all over the country racing it at SCCA SoloI races (road racing) and was doing pretty good actually. Civics can be a lot of fun. There is a ton of aftermarket parts for them and most of them make a big difference, even small mods.

I too don't like Honda much these past few years. They should have continued the Type-R line, and at least put out better Si's. Instead the Si gained 500lbs in the last 10yrs, made small power gains, and handles the same or worse than the last good Si from '00-'01. Another grudge I have with Honda is that they disontinued the Acura RSX (Integra line), most importantly the S2000 (the best affordable Sportster of all time) and recently discontinued the TSX. Acura NO longer has a Sports car model, and the Si is hanging on by a thread IMO with its Spartan standard options. Just look at a recent comparison of the 2014 Civic Si vs. '98 Integra Type-R on Youtube (by C&D or MotorTrend I think). The aging Type-R with many miles on it blew the Si away in every performance category at the track. 16yrs later and the new Si couldn't even match the brakes, handling or acceleration of a much older Honda/Acura compact sports car with skinnier tires (one of the best as far as I am concerned.. the Type-R). I still look forward to visiting my brother in Jersey to take his Type-R for a spin, and I myself have kept my '99 Integra GSR after all these years, and plan on putting a fresh paint on it (it's not garaged unfortunately) and going over the suspension and other parts to get it ready for some autocross fun again in the Spring. It already has $8K of mods in it including a Quaife LSD and so many other mods that it is barely streed legal (no CAT), but it still has a full interior and is kind of a sleeper except for the bigger 2.5" stainless steel exhaust, resonated straight pipe and race header all imported from Japan which make it a little noisier than usual :) Now that's a fun car to drive with lots of grip and G's on the turns, even with 15" Falkens.

Harry

·
Registered
12 Posts
How will this effect my resale value LOL, I'll get my depreciation on the grounds of diminished value from the other parties insurance after she ran a 4-way and side swiped me.

Ridiculous, 445 miles on the ODO and then this.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
That stinks!
Just have the insurance pay for the body work, and you won't have to worry about additional depreciation... or have the other side side-swiped so they match on both sides :smile2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts