2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first drove the MY17 Mazda 3, I immediately noticed that the brakes weren't that great. It's rather weak with a lot of pedal travel until they bite. It's not linear but I learned to live with it.

Now it's middle of winter, I leave my car outside after a couple of hours at work; when it was time to leave I drove off the parking lot, pressed on the brakes and there was so much pedal travel there was no braking and then suddenly it felt the brakes locked up. It nearly scared me. Somehow the cold made it even worse but after a few tries of stopping, it was a bit better. Why are the brakes so bad? I mean Mazda always prides itself in driving dynamics but the brakes don't inspire confidence at all.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The 3 is an economy car, not a sports sedan, no matter what the advertising might suggest. That's the reality of the market segment. Stopping power is adequate but pedal feel is nothing special. Braided lines and upgraded pads improve feel. Several folks here can make suggestions for brands/parts.

As for your experience in the cold, that does NOT sound normal. I've driven at -10F (-23C) with no problem. City, highway, mountain roads covered in snow... Pedal feel and braking has always been the same in my car no matter the season or temperature. The ABS has activated in a couple of emergency situations where I hit a stretch of ice. I was always able to maintain control and the wheels have never locked up.

If your pedal feel changes with temperature, you should probably get it checked. If your brakes actually locked up as you stated, then the ABS isn't working right and you should REALLY get it checked. If you're not confident in your brakes... get them checked.

·
Working Class Hero
3,749 Posts
Bring it to the attention of the dealer. You may need a bleeding. Also, a quick pump of the brakes when you apply them brings the pedal right up and improves feel by a good margin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the Mazda 3 is an economy car but I drove the 2017 Golf and its brakes were way better; even the new Civic.

I might get the brakes checked out. Not sure whether I can get an appointment during this holiday season.

·
Registered
988 Posts
The 3 is an economy car, not a sports sedan, no matter what the advertising might suggest. That's the reality of the market segment. Stopping power is adequate but pedal feel is nothing special. Braided lines and upgraded pads improve feel. Several folks here can make suggestions for brands/parts.
^
This

The Mazda 3 is an "ecobox", and the OEM brakes IMO do a very descent job for a daily driver and for what the car it's supposed / meant to do.

If you want improvement change brake pads, that should upgrade your braking experience.

If you want to step up a notch, upgrade disc rotors and brake pads, but IMHO since I did this to my own car this is very much "overkill" , but at least with upgraded disc rotors and brake pads I know I can trust my brakes when I'm abusing them a bit >:) , less fading and more stopping response.

And please do check you brakes, it's always better to be safe than sorry!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
May be I could explain it a little better. The brakes probably didn't lock up but it was a weird sensation when leaving the parking lot. The brakes seemed to be either ON/OFF. The linearity was gone. But after several stops, it was better.

·
Registered
245 Posts
May be I could explain it a little better. The brakes probably didn't lock up but it was a weird sensation when leaving the parking lot. The brakes seemed to be either ON/OFF. The linearity was gone. But after several stops, it was better.
It's still unusual and should probably be checked to be sure the system is safe. Mine always feel the same no matter the conditions.

And I do agree with you about pedal feel on the 3. For examples, my wife's 2015 CR-V begins to bite much earlier in the pedal travel.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
I too recommend a dealer visit. I have a 2017 3GT, and my brakes work well. Perfect no, but more than good enough that I never worry about them. They stop me so seamlessly that I had not even thought about them for months — well, at least not until I read this thread.

Best of luck getting your brakes fixed lordnikon.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Agree... Brakes are weak on my 15 sGT, too. I test drove a 17 and thought they were better.

·
Registered
377 Posts
15 all sGTs were from Japan.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My new '16 needed a week to break in the brakes in city stop and go traffic as they were weak when new (12 miles when bought), but they didn't have excessive travel. So sounds like a dealer-issue, but for me after break in, they work great with good feedback and feel.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Brakes are fine on our 2016 sGT. I like them better than on our 2013 MX-5. The Mx's brake pedal is too far left and feels like a stob in the floor, more similar to the button on the floor of some of the old Citroens for brakes. Like them better than what our 2010 VW Jetta had, too, but quite similar.

Ralph

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2019 Mazda 3 Sedan (Mexico) to run road rallies. It's pretty good on twisty back roads, but coming down steep inclines overheats the brakes and they fade a lot. The car only has 8000 miles on it and I don't feel like changing the rotors, but I am thinking about upgrading the pads to EBC Yellowstuff DP43033R front and DP42171R rear. These are recommended by the PerfectBrakes.com website. However, the Amazon website says they do not fit this car? Have any of you tried this?

Paul

·
Registered
377 Posts
I just bought a 2019 Mazda 3 Sedan (Mexico) to run road rallies. It's pretty good on twisty back roads, but coming down steep inclines overheats the brakes and they fade a lot. The car only has 8000 miles on it and I don't feel like changing the rotors, but I am thinking about upgrading the pads to EBC Yellowstuff DP43033R front and DP42171R rear. These are recommended by the PerfectBrakes.com website. However, the Amazon website says they do not fit this car? Have any of you tried this?

Paul
Call G-Loc. They will set you up.

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
137 Posts

Paul
Did you get sorted yet or can we help?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts