2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I am in need of your expert advice.

While I love my M3 to bits, I had the chance to drive the new M3 BN model and I couldn't stop thinking how nice the steering wheel is.

Although it doesn't have the red stitching I love, the shape and design are super cool.

My question is:
Can you retrofit a M3 BN steering to a BM model?

I have called 2 Mazda dealers and spoke to the service dep and they said.... no. :crying2:
Given that the design is different.... he said I will need to change to whole steering rack.. wtf.

Soo what are your thoughts? I know everything can be done with a little work..

Picture attached:

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have called 2 Mazda dealers and spoke to the service dep and they said.... no. :crying2:
Given that the design is different.... he said I will need to change to whole steering rack.. wtf.

Soo what are your thoughts? I know everything can be done with a little work..

If they actually said steering rack then they are talking bullshit as the wheel is attached to the electric steering column and I highly doubt that was changed from BM to BN.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
The BN wheel should fit the BM....A calculated guess unless the harness plugs are different then you'll need to order the wheel, harnesses & probably the BN clockspring. I had tinkered w/ the BM3 & the DJ2 steering wheels...they're pretty simple. Careful w/ the airbag. Unhook the car batt upon fiddling.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bribe a dealer service and get a copy of the electric plugs from the documentation, or, if you know anyone with a BN, just try the swap by yourself.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Compare the harness that goes into the clockspring terminal. This is for the BM w/ paddles, horn & radio/info controls that I used to add paddle feature on the M2 DJ...

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Reviving this for the archives after taking a closer look at the BM & BN steering wheels.... harness connectors are different. The swap will need more than just the steering wheel & controls.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Reviving this for the archives after taking a closer look at the BM & BN steering wheels.... harness connectors are different. The swap will need more than just the steering wheel & controls.
What else would be needed, besides steering wheel, multimedia controls, perhaps steering wheel rear cover? I've seen many BM's with BP's retrofitted. I really want to retrofit this steering wheel.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts