2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Mazda 3 with the 2.0 petrol engine. When playing around with an OBD reader, I found that even with the throttle pedal to the floor, the reader reports only 92% full throttle.
Has this been seen by someone before? Or can someone with a reader check it?

I am not sure if it is the reader or the software or the throttle position sensor that might be broken???

Appreciate your help/suggestions.

·
Registered
468 Posts
that's normal

nothing is broken or malfunctioning

you are at full throttle and you'll never be able to accelerate faster (unless you get the 2.5 L)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is it 1 or 2 that causes this:

1. The engine somehow figures out that opening the throttle wider will not help with accelerating faster. This should however change from time to time, there must be cases where it will use a larger/smaller setting. I have not seen any value other than 92% with full throttle, both stand still and during driving.

or

2. With the engine I have the European spec. 2.0 L, 120 hp (lower than other 2.0L 150 hp engines), the engine maps do not go beyond 92% throttle? Could the last 8% be some form of limiter that helps with emission and stuff?

I would be good to understand how this is the case. May be opens up some workarounds ...

·
Registered
231 Posts
It just can't open more, that's not a problem. For example on my Evo X max TP is 87%. Each car is different, but you won't see 0% or 100% TP.

·
Registered
64 Posts
One explanation (in other car forums) I read was that the OBD reader reads a voltage signal (e.g. 0-5V). The throttle will output voltage accordingly, but may not go all the way to 5V. The reader may only be seeing 4.6V (92%), but the throttle body may only need, e.g., 4.2 volts to be wide open. So, anything above 4.2V and the TB is 100% open, even though at 4.6V the OBD interprets this as 92% (of 5V).

My numbers are completely pulled out of thin air... just to make an example.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts