2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I recently decided to do a full pad+rotors replacement on my Mazda 3 2015 mexico build. I was looking over the hardware included in the box and noticed that the front brake guide plate (I believe that is what its called) is a multi-piece component (I am more familiar with the single piece construction as the rear brakes are). They total to 12 pieces for both sides (driver+passenger).
I had searched for a service manual with the correct installation procedure but i could find nothing. If anyone is familiar with the installation of these guide pieces for the brake pads please provide some insight to help make this process a bit more easier for me.
2020-07-16 20_26_43-More Information for POWER STOP KOE6973.png

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,143 Posts
CK

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi everyone!
I recently decided to do a full pad+rotors replacement on my Mazda 3 2015 mexico build. I was looking over the hardware included in the box and noticed that the front brake guide plate (I believe that is what its called) is a multi-piece component (I am more familiar with the single piece construction as the rear brakes are). They total to 12 pieces for both sides (driver+passenger).
I had searched for a service manual with the correct installation procedure but i could find nothing. If anyone is familiar with the installation of these guide pieces for the brake pads please provide some insight to help make this process a bit more easier for me.
View attachment 277755
Thanks so much!
I posted the dealership service manual, the information you're looking for with full brake system schematics starts on page 2,571-2,578. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi everyone!
View attachment 277755
Thanks so much!
@SteveAM did a great video on the front brake replacement along with rotor. But honestly just take photos as you go along and match it back up. Not a huge deal. For the record, I didn't have 12 pieces for my kit, only 10. I don't have the two tiny metal bit on the bottom right ( can you take a photo of those?). Might be extra wear indicators but I don't see why.

I did find it easier to install the pads with the caliper on the rotors but ymmv. Definitely make sure those metal pads are very flush (I used a flat head to push them gently) because a tiny gap will make it damn near impossible to get in.

The only part that might confuse is getting the little metal clip that goes on the brake pad in the right place. That should be the wear indicator and for Mazda it's generally inside of the rotor (piston side pad) and facing up, I think but realistically as long as it's inside and you inspect regularly you should be fine and usually replace brake pads before they get to that point.

Definitely use the service manual from @redskull35 or @sen to make sure you get the right torque on those caliper bolts.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Great advice. One thing to add since I did make this mistake once....when you pull the caliper slide pins, note which one came from where and don't mix them up. You'll notice one is solid metal while the other has a small black sleeve at the end.

I can't remember if it was front or rear brakes, but I did make this mistake once. It caused the caliper to seize and the pads wouldn't let go. Took it out for a test drive and noticed it as soon as I got back. The heat coming from the wheel was tremendous.

The diagrams in the service manual aren't very clear on which pin goes where. Can't really make out which one has the sleeve. Note them on disassembly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did pads and rotors on my 2015, also built in Mexico. 68,000 miles on the car and I think these were the original set; I got the car at 20k miles. There were no major problems, but the caliper bolts and guides were in rough shape. I'm in the northeast, so not really a surprise. At $10/set it's short money, I'd suggest considering it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the insight and tips! Much appreciated!

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. The pieces in the center of the picture, wondering if anyone know where they are supposed to be installed because they aren't in the diagram in the service manual. I assumed it was a 2015 Mexico build thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Those are the pad clips on rows 1 and 3. They keep the pad in the caliper bracket, without them your pads will not go on. You'll see them when remove the caliper piston and you take out the old pads. Just put them in the same way and use a flat head to get them flush. You shouldn't have to fight too much to get the pad in but is a tight fit.

The smaller clips are the wear indicators, they go directly onto the edge of thepad. I think my kit only had the piston side one but yours has all 4, just put it in the same way it is on the old pad.

You'll see in my first photo that my brackets are pretty dirty. Just scrub the bracket with a wire brush. In the second photo you'll see the wear indicator on the left side. Top side is the piston side so you'll see the clip on the left. Just do the same as whatever your car has.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are the pad clips on rows 1 and 3. They keep the pad in the caliper bracket, without them your pads will not go on. You'll see them when remove the caliper piston and you take out the old pads. Just put them in the same way and use a flat head to get them flush. You shouldn't have to fight too much to get the pad in but is a tight fit.

The smaller clips are the wear indicators, they go directly onto the edge of thepad. I think my kit only had the piston side one but yours has all 4, just put it in the same way it is on the old pad.

You'll see in my first photo that my brackets are pretty dirty. Just scrub the bracket with a wire brush. In the second photo you'll see the wear indicator on the left side. Top side is the piston side so you'll see the clip on the left. Just do the same as whatever your car has.

View attachment 277848 View attachment 277849
Thanks so much! This is exactly what I was confused about.
The pictures help a lot.
Much appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I did mine, there are also some metal plates/brackets on the back of the original pads, you should take those off and put them on the new pads if they didn't come with them.

I didn't do that when I first changed my rotors and pads (mine is japan though, so a bit different?). I ended up with a clunk while braking when driving below ~30-40km/h. I took it all apart again and put them back on and the problem is gone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I did mine, there are also some metal plates/brackets on the back of the original pads, you should take those off and put them on the new pads if they didn't come with them.

I didn't do that when I first changed my rotors and pads (mine is japan though, so a bit different?). I ended up with a clunk while braking when driving below ~30-40km/h. I took it all apart again and put them back on and the problem is gone.
Will take note of that, I believe those are the pieces in question. I also have a low spped clunking and when transition from drive to reverse, I was hoping that a total brake service would remedy the issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine's a 2012, but pad replacement was a breeze. Youtube is always helpful to provide an vehicle specific insights or tips. I went with the premium autocraft pads and rotors from advance auto, they seem to be holding up well, make no Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin noise, and with coupons they were quite affordable. Currently 30% off with coupon online, but you should compare to options on rockauto of course.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts