2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

What a bad day! My neighbor missed her parking and dented my car. What a mess. I am posting a picture. You can see on the picture that I had already some damage on the bumper (never knew what happened that last time) that I covered with the pen that came with the car.

Now, since the damage is significant and since either she or her car insurance company will pay, I would like to repair this.

From the picture, do you believe it is only a matter of repainting the whole bumper? If it is, how much will it be?

I read that the "soul mica red" color was hard to reproduce on the plastic part. Is it true?

It is my first car and it is the first time something like that happens to me... I want to learn from your past experiences...

Thanks a lot

Attachments

·
Keen driver of the 2017 3
15 Posts
Hello,

What a bad day! My neighbor missed her parking and dented my car. What a mess. I am posting a picture. You can see on the picture that I had already some damage on the bumper (never knew what happened that last time) that I covered with the pen that came with the car.

Now, since the damage is significant and since either she or her car insurance company will pay, I would like to repair this.

From the picture, do you believe it is only a matter of repainting the whole bumper? If it is, how much will it be?

I read that the "soul mica red" color was hard to reproduce on the plastic part. Is it true?

It is my first car and it is the first time something like that happens to me... I want to learn from your past experiences...

Thanks a lot
As a panelbeater myself, I would suggest a professional repair should involve repainting the entire bumper in order to ensure a high quality colour match. However, there is likely to be more involved in the repair than a simple repaint, unless those scratches are very superficial. A pro will have no trouble even if the colour is soul mica red, but it definitely wouldn't be a colour to DIY.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much.

I will go to the car dealership on Monday and yes, scratches are not deep, but will need some repair. How much can I expect to have to ask her for the whole deal (scratches, paint, ...)?

·
Keen driver of the 2017 3
15 Posts
It depends where you live. In New Zealand it would probably cost the thick end of $500, but I am not familiar with costs in other places.

·
Registered
988 Posts
This is definitely a matter of painting the entire bumper, as you can observe the scratch is so deep that you can see the black base of the bumper.

Something similar happened to me 2 months ago but on my front bumper, the dealership here charged me approx. 275$-300$ to repaint the entire bumper, and restoring it to the most OEM condition possible.

Go to your official Mazda dealership, get a quote and check if you can get a little discount on the price :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
It's going to cost more than $300 for sure here in Canada. My guess is $500-$700 if there's no other hidden damage. But the only way to tell for sure is to get it quoted. Prices will vary a little by region even within Canada.

The first time my gen 2 was rear ended the bill to insurance was $1,100, not including my rental car. When all was said and done and it was removal of rear bumper, repair and repaint it, repair the license plate lights and harness. That car was velocity red, also a tough color (which I loved dearly), not sure if it's the same number of stages or not. It was repaired at a body shop that was a part of a Mazda dealer.

Granted that was an insurance repair. Pretty sure the private repair cost would've been a little less. Get it checked before telling your neighbour any value as you may be shooting yourself in the foot if you give them a dollar amount too low.

Reactions: Almeida

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my quote

It came up to 700$ to repair and repaint the whole bumper!

I am waiting for my neighbor's reply. She's not very cooperative. It might end up with an insurance claim...

·
Registered
310 Posts
It came up to 700$ to repair and repaint the whole bumper!

I am waiting for my neighbor's reply. She's not very cooperative. It might end up with an insurance claim...
Sounds like a pain, but don't give up! Someone's got to give these careless bumper bumpers a hard time for their crapshoot parking jobs. Maybe then they'll finally learn. Unfortunately whenever mine shows a new scratch or ding, I'm miles away at work and can never find the culprit. They may not care about their cars but I'm sure we love ours.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Was backing out of parking spot this morning, and became distracted by a lovely gal walking across street. Only took my eyes off the camera monitor for a split second, and proceeded to slam in to a post. Man, do I feel like a dope! The corner of the bumper was smashed in, but I was able to get my arm behind it and push most of it back out into proper position. The paint was messed up pretty bad, I polished out most of the marks, but the scratched off paint is quite the eyesore.

Just as well, had a hit and run on opposite side of bumper a few months ago, and was considering calling insurance anyways.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Can't get my head around the price differences between Thailand and the rest of the world. Had the front and rear bumpers repainted on my Cerfiro just before I sold it. Paint and labor came to $45US.
Here in the US, just the paint alone for the bumpers would cost significantly more than that.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Here in the US, just the paint alone for the bumpers would cost significantly more than that.
You can get a complete car painted for around 10,000 baht (around $300US). My friend in the car club paid the highest price I have ever heard of for a paint job in Thailand. He paid 100,000 baht ($3500US). He had his Corvette sanded down to the bare fiberglass, sealed, primed, then 3 coats of color and then 5 coats of clear. Not sure what that would have cost in the USA.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
9 days ago I posted on this thread about backing into a pole. My self repair was pretty good, only evidence of collision was missing paint and a slight crease in rear bumper corner. Doesn't matter now, last night an idiot rear ended me while I was stopped in traffic. Got her license plate, her name, and copy of her expired insurance card....

No self repair this time, the lower section of bumper center is pushed in and up, exposing the muffler. First estimate is around $1100, which includes a new muffler. Autobody shop is so backed up, they won't be able to repair my car for over 3 months!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Confirmed today that lady who hit me has no insurance. Additionally discovered (from DMV), that license plate on car does not match up with vehicle or driver. Looks like I'll be stuck with $200 deductible. Research indicates that she has at least 8 traffic related violations, including past repeated violations for driving without license nor insurance. Going to file some reports with DMV now, which will alert them about this driver and this incident.

When somebody hurts my Mazda, I will do whatever I legally can do to make sure the offender faces the consequences for their actions.

Reactions: Davidval18
1 - 15 of 15 Posts