2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is best described as a "stutter". When at highway speed approx 100km/h and starting to accelerate there is a stutter which settles when the gas pedal is lifted, however if acceleration is continued both the engine and ABS lights come on.
250,000 KM on the clock
All 4 spark plugs were changed as well as their electronic cables, fuel system was flushed and computer which was giving a bunch of alerts has been reset. This has made the problem a little less, but certainly not cured. Hard acceleration produces the same result.
Stopping, switching off and restarting extinguished the warning lights.
Help from anyone who has knowledge and a solution or suggestions is welcomed.

Either here or to my email [email protected]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mechanic told me he ran a diagnostic and that all sorts of errors came up. Is there anything specific he should be looking for? I also believe Walmart of all places sells a DIY diagnostic tool for around $40, any merit in getting one of these?
Also it appears to me that ABS is kicking in when not needed

·
Super Moderator
6,755 Posts
He is the mechanic, he should know. Any and all of the codes may or may not have relevance, particularly the most recent ones.
ABS doesn't just "kick in". If the light is coming on there may be a fault in the system, or maybe a loose connection or bad ground that is causing a loss of power to the sensors, or even a bad sensor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would tend to agree, my wife has the same vehicle same year and no issues with software being out of date.
It would be of greater interest to hear from anyone who has had the exact same issue/

·
Super Moderator
6,755 Posts
You need to get the diagnostic codes generated by the OBD system. Anything else would be just guessing at this point. Your mechanic should have been able to get some idea if he actually looked at the codes before clearing them.
And yes, even a cheap scanner from Wallyworld would help if you can retrieve the codes yourself.

·
Super Moderator
6,755 Posts
An engine misfire would be P0300 for random multiple cylinder misfires, P0301 for cylinder #1, P0302 for cylinder #2 etc.
If its a misfire code, there are several possibilities. Plugs, injectors, coils, wiring, fuel pressure, air leak around the intake, low compression, all could cause misfire condition.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
A key point here is that there is no singular cause to any failure or error code. We cannot tell you exactly what the problem is because that requires testing. Just because your wife had X abs problem doesn't mean that you have the same one.

Do not get into replacing parts at random. All you're going to accomplish is wasting your time and money.

If you want to learn how to properly diagnose we're happy to help.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
remote....you're asking about the switch to adjust the side mirrors? have not heard that called a remote before.

if fuses are ok, you should be inspecting the knob assembly. get the service manual (diy subforum) and pull up the wiring schematics. see if it has voltage coming in and if you can get continuity.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you/ However, the issue relates to the little control button which angles the mirrors in, out , uptown. The button elicits no response from the mirrors.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
ok so got the right idea on my end. you'll have to go into testing with a multimeter. wouldn't be a bad idea to check the fuse for continuity just in case.

since it's both mirrors, my guess would be the switch or a wiring fault in the supply. still, need to test and confirm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts