2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody

To begin with, I would like to tell you that i am a complete beginner on car-related stuff and I realize that my question may be stupid for which I apologize in advance.
Two weeks ago I became the owner of a Mazda 3 2.0 120km, skyactive gasoline. At the beginning it was flawless, now, after changing the oil and filter, I have the impression that the engine is louder and more "shaky". I also noticed that after starting cold, the engine is OK, small after driving literally 500 meters, then when idling it shakes it and works much louder and more intensely.
Below is a video of the engine running idle.

I would be very grateful for your suggestions as to what I should do in this regard, or what I doubt, but nevertheless - is this a normal engine operation?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
498 Posts
What motor oil was in before you changed it ?
What motor oil is in it now?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
5W40 is quite a heavy oil for that motor. Spec is 0W20 or 5W30 in warmer climates. Not sure what the thought process was on this decision, guessing just a random choice since your knowledge is admittedly low.

Mistakes are ok if you learn from them and at least in my mind that's the purpose of these forums. So here's my input:

- all the specs are in the owners manual. Read it. Read it as soon as possible. You'll have a hard time getting people to help you if you are unwilling to help yourself. This is not meant to be insulting or an accusation. We see this constantly on forums. Someone could easily flip open the owners manual but for some reason or another just doesn't.

- specs like oil weight are important. Unless you have a very good reason and real evidence to back that reason up, adhere to the specs. The engineers that built your car didn't come up with these specs while sitting on the toilet on a Sunday morning. By knowingly deviating, what you're saying is that you know better than the people who designed and built your car. If that's true, hey it's your car and your business. All I'm saying is if you're going to take that road be sure you really do know.

- finally, make sure you're doing any job correctly. Even a simple oil change there's always room to do the task better. That's what we're here for. Take a look at the DIY subforum, you'll find the factory service manual there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts