2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I tried to start my Mazda late last night and it would not start out of the blue. I did start it early that morning to move it about 10 feet to a different parking spot and it started fine. The engine would not turn over. I tried about 8-9 times. The radio and lights came on fine. No engine light or any warning lights are illuminated. I did have issues 6 months ago with it stalling before it started so I took it to a shop and they changed the battery. The very next day it still continued to stall before it started. But at least it started. The problem seemed to have went away after a couple weeks. However sometimes it feels like the car is dragging it's butt even though I am accelerating. And sometimes I would hit the gas when pulling off at a stop light and it would hesitate before it pulls off. I just thought I had put bad gas in the car. But from what I've been reading, it sounds like it may be the fuel filter. The pump is priming because I hear a whining kinda computerized thing when I open the hood. I was smelling gas in the cabin after attempting to start it million times. I finally got it to start by turning the ignition half way then putting the car in drive then back to park. But the gas smell was strong in the cabin so I turned it off immediately. Does this sound like the fuel filter? Is it possible to get that changed out without having to replace the entire pump? I called a repair shop and they quoted $110 for a diagnostic and over $900 for a new fuel pump. I can not afford that at the moment. Is there a fix that can patch this in the meantime that is cheaper?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I suspect you have 2 different problems. This one is the start inhibitor switch on the transmission :"then putting the car in drive then back to park". You can probably live with moving the gearstick from D to N or P to get it he starter to engaged until you can afford to get the switch replaced.
Have a look under the hood and car for a fuel leak- simply tightening a clamp might fix your fuel smell problem. I'd try replacing the fuel filter to see if the acceleration problem is fixed before I replaced the pump.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the advice Mike. I have an appointment with Firestone in the morning to check the pump. I am praying that it is just the filter. I will also have them take a look at the inhibitor switch. If they can't then I know of a good transmission shop. It's just strange that all this happened out of the blue cause this car never gives me problems and I keep the maintenance up. I've only had two cars my entire life and I am about to turn 40. I try to take good care of my stuff so it will last. Thanks again for responding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts