2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Father of all macks
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

New to the forum. Trust me, I looked through previous posts to see if I could find something that resembles my problem, but if there is a post about it thats similar to mine, I don't know what search terms to use.

I noticed today that my car has weak air pressure coming from the air conditioning from the front vents. The maximum blower setting feels like the minimum of what it normally is. I thought that something had gone bad in there, but then I started playing with the dialer and I realized that the floor and defrost vents are still blowing strong.

I played with the dialer some more, and I discovered that the only setting that I can get any air pressure at all from the front vents is in the front-only setting. Also, I found out that the front-only setting has air blasting out at high pressure on the floor.

I would assume there's a blockage somewhere behind the vents, but I don't know anything about car A/C and I really didn't want to dig around in there without knowing what was wrong. I could take it to get it repaired, but then I'd be down $150, and I'd prefer knowing how to solve this problem on my own if its something that I can do with a basic toolkit.

I replaced the cabin air filter about 3 months ago, and my car has 99k miles. The A/C in the car was charged about a year ago.

Any help offered in order to help figure out where to start wold be greatly appreciated.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
blend door or blend door actuator is what I would suspect those are under the passenger dash (glovebox) and are rather difficult to get at, but that's a classic sign of a blend door or actuator failing basically its a door that just moves to block flow to certain vents (floor, center, defrost vents) or a mix of them. and it can get stuck or the actuator start failing and it starts acting like how you describe

·
Father of all macks
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'm also reading a lot about leaks in the vacuum hose that could be causing the issue. I'm really hoping its the blend door or its actuator because a vacuum leak sounds like a PITA to fix.

·
Father of all macks
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just remembered a few months ago that the air conditioning would make a clicking noise when I turned it on. It stopped making that noise. I'm willing to bet that when it stopped, the blend door stopped working correctly and I just didn't notice the lack of air pressure because I mostly drive with my windows down.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
I just remembered a few months ago that the air conditioning would make a clicking noise when I turned it on. It stopped making that noise. I'm willing to bet that when it stopped, the blend door stopped working correctly and I just didn't notice the lack of air pressure because I mostly drive with my windows down.
yep, your blend door or blend door actuator have failed, the clicking is a sign its getting stuck. pick up a Haynes manual for the Mazda 3 from your local auto parts store theyre around $30 but will show you step by step how to get to and replace these parts and that right there will be worth the cost of the book the only one I know of covers 2004-2013 the one I have I got back in about 2012 and it only says 04-11 but I originally got it for my 08 but it works on my newer 11 as well and will cover what you need to know to fix this issue. it should be in section 3 of the book

·
Father of all macks
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep, your blend door or blend door actuator have failed, the clicking is a sign its getting stuck. pick up a Haynes manual for the Mazda 3 from your local auto parts store theyre around $30 but will show you step by step how to get to and replace these parts and that right there will be worth the cost of the book the only one I know of covers 2004-2013 the one I have I got back in about 2012 and it only says 04-11 but I originally got it for my 08 but it works on my newer 11 as well and will cover what you need to know to fix this issue. it should be in section 3 of the book
Much appreciated!

The books are on amazon too

https://www.amazon.com/Mazda3-2004-Haynes-Repair-Manual/dp/1563929155

1 - 6 of 6 Posts