2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 Touring
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past month or two i occasionally got this light grinding, popping, skipping, sound coming from the front passenger side. It started as only happening when turning right, while not always present it is start to happen going straight from a stop sometimes. I've taken my car to the shop and looked at it myself. The boots on the CV are okay and nothing has any play. All bolts seem to be on fine and no signs on rubbing anywhere. The noise is consistent with wheel turn, and feels as if it is happening where the inner CV connects to the intermediate shaft. There is a slight darkening on the bottom of what id assume is a mount? connected near the exhaust manifold(i think) the connects the CV and the intermediate shaft. Although there is no new grease/oil it is darker color. It seems to be dependent on the weight on that side, as it mainly occurs turning, it isn't constant so not a bearing, and i just look off the wheel yesterday and my brakes looked fine, and there was no loose lugs. My wheels are getting pretty bald as ive been waiting to get snows, and i'm in need of an alignment but i dont think those have a huge role in it.

I cant attach a link because i dont have 5 posts.... Which is annoying to say the least so i can send it to you in a message ( hopefully ) if you think you can help. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the past month or two i occasionally got this light grinding, popping, skipping, sound coming from the front passenger side. It started as only happening when turning right, while not always present it is start to happen going straight from a stop sometimes. I've taken my car to the shop and looked at it myself. The boots on the CV are okay and nothing has any play. All bolts seem to be on fine and no signs on rubbing anywhere. The noise is consistent with wheel turn, and feels as if it is happening where the inner CV connects to the intermediate shaft. There is a slight darkening on the bottom of what id assume is a mount? connected near the exhaust manifold(i think) the connects the CV and the intermediate shaft. Although there is no new grease/oil it is darker color. It seems to be dependent on the weight on that side, as it mainly occurs turning, it isn't constant so not a bearing, and i just look off the wheel yesterday and my brakes looked fine, and there was no loose lugs. My wheels are getting pretty bald as ive been waiting to get snows, and i'm in need of an alignment but i dont think those have a huge role in it.

I cant attach a link because i dont have 5 posts.... Which is annoying to say the least so i can send it to you in a message ( hopefully ) if you think you can help. Thanks
Did you ever figure this out I have the Same problem except I replaced cvs strut end links, tie rod ends are solid and I did the wheel bearings oh and I've got new coilovers. What's making this sound? Intermediate shaft bearing? I think it's the last and only thing I can swap out lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever figure this out I have the Same problem except I replaced cvs strut end links, tie rod ends are solid and I did the wheel bearings oh and I've got new coilovers. What's making this sound? Intermediate shaft bearing? I think it's the last and only thing I can swap out lol
My 08 is doing the same thing, went threw everything possible and finally narrowed to the transmission, the bearings inside it are goin bad, the longer and further you drive the louder it gets from them getting hotter and hotter, never will i buy a Mazda agian nothing but a nightmare

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 Touring
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the super late response but my issue came down to my mounts, I replaced the motor mount, transmission mount, and another mount, cant recall the name, but that fixed the issue I was having

1 - 5 of 5 Posts