2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I bought a 2015 Mazda 3 I Touring. 50k miles. Love it, but there’s an issue that’s spoiling all the fun. Hoping that I might be able to get some advice on this forum:

I’ve been feeling a “bumping” sensation while the car is in motion. I started with the wheels...

I took it to a tire shop. My front tires were worn so they replaced those and balanced all 4 wheels. Unfortunately, it hasn’t fixed the problem. - I’ve looked for dents on the rims but can’t seem to see anything. Also, I figured they’d probably notice a bent rim whilst changing the tires.
It seems like I’m feeling the road surface much more than usual. But, more concerning/annoying, it feels like there’s a bulge in the tire (that’s the best way I can describe it. But all new tires so can’t be the problem). It’s most noticeable at lower speeds - slowly accelerating up to 20mph and slowing back down to a stop - it’s like there’s a bump in a joint or tire that bumps slower or faster depending on speed.
At higher speeds it’s a lot less noticeable. I can feel it in the foot well, seat/body of car, and a little in the steering wheel. I’ve also noticed that the car is a little more ‘bouncy’ than other cars. - I’m starting to think maybe suspension, a loose connection in a wheel joint/CV joint. Maybe the shocks? - Any ideas?

much appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It could most definitely be the new tires. Even new defects happen..

But, if the noise/feeling didn't change from the old to new it's not the tires. It could be the wheels though, with low profile tires it doesn't take a lot to cause an issue. The tire shop may or may not say something.. If the guy was busy, in a bad mood, heading to lunch... Etc. It may have been missed.

If the noise speeds up and slows down with road speed it's a tire (no), wheel, axle, wheel bearing (not likely but it does happen) or transmission problem(highly unlikely).

With a problem like that it's more a process of elimination than anything else.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Have it RoadForce Balanced. It can show or rule out wheel/tire problems in detail.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
Check the axle half shafts for straightness. Check the rims for lateral run out and out of round.
You only replaced 2 tires? Check the other two for damage. Some Mazda OEM tires are known for belt separation, which would cause exactly those symptoms.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yep. I had one of those separations that go "bump" on the road; in my case, "thump-thump-thump." See my post under "TPMS False Alarm" in this forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts