2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Mazda 3 Hatchback 2018 GTS. At the time of purchase, I indicated that I wanted the full safety package (meaning the automated safety things like brake assist, lane departure, etc). The sales person said that GTS comes standard with that.

Unfortunately, that wasn't true. A month later, I notice that some of the features in the manual doesn't seemed to work. When I return to the dealer they indicated that there was a Premium Equipment Package which does comes standard on the manual but is $1600 extra on the automatic. Since it's been a month, it's not like I can return the car and exchange it.

Looking at the premium equipment package, I am curious to know what I can add. I don't really care for things like heated steering wheel or paddle shifters, but can stuff like Lane departure or smart cruise control be added? I notice that the navigation comes on a card. What If I purchase the card, would the navigation still work (I notice the Amazon version is cheaper than the dealer).

Paul

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Navigation will work if you get the card, but it must be unused. The card will key itself to the car and cannot be transferred later. I would suggest using android auto or carplay (even if you're paying for the upgrade) as they work better and are now an official option.

Options like adaptive cruise can be added, but its not simple. You'll need the auto braking and the other electronics. I looked into it for my 3 and it would have cost far more than its worth, even doing the work myself.

It might be a little easier on yours, I have a 2015. There are more safety features that come standard. Still, expect to pay out the ass.

·
Super Moderator
5,963 Posts
Isn't this the sort of stuff you should look into before you sign the papers? If you wanted those features and didn't know if they were on the car you bought, you probably should have asked for a demonstration of those features before you bought it. If you really want that equipment in your car, trade it in for a car that has what you want in it already. Installing all that stuff will cost far more than the cost of trading in your current car. Just the parts are likely to be in the thousands of dollars. The smart CC box that has the radar unit inside for instance will be between $1200 - $1500.:surprise:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It was a 3000 option for all that ontop of buying the premium model package back in 2014. The dealer isn't going to have a lot they can do at one month unless you have less than 500 miles on the car even then, it's going to be an uphill battle to get it done if it's possible. You'd be better trading your new for slightly used version with the options you want

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I'd say don't worry about it and be happy with what you have. But then I'm a cheap bastard and I drive my cars firmly into the ground....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the old days, I would actually look for a used car and do a lot of research, expending several week of search, but now I work like 70 hours a week and have kids, so I had to pull together a short list of cars in a couple of hours after my car died suddenly. My previous car was from 1999, so I was not familiar with any of the new car features. Sales person are definitely a pain to deal with, too.

In retrospect, maybe it was for the best, the safety features on the Mazda 3 is probably not great compare to their competitors. Maybe it would not be worth the extra $1600. The car is a heck of a lot nicer than the previous car, which did not even have power window or ABS brakes. Trying to get used to driving an automatic.

Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I had manuals for all of my cars since I started driving. This mean I have been using manual for decades. After I got married, I tried to get my wife to learn to drive a manual. I tried to sell it as a useful skill to have. For example, when we were driving through Europe, it was cheaper to rent a manual. Unfortunately, this did not work. I decided to switch to an automatic for safety reasons, I don't want a situation where the spouse would be unable to use the car in an emergency.

Paul

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Yes, I had manuals for all of my cars since I started driving. This mean I have been using manual for decades. After I got married, I tried to get my wife to learn to drive a manual. I tried to sell it as a useful skill to have. For example, when we were driving through Europe, it was cheaper to rent a manual. Unfortunately, this did not work. I decided to switch to an automatic for safety reasons, I don't want a situation where the spouse would be unable to use the car in an emergency.

Paul
I completely understand. I'm in the exact same boat. My solution is to get a second vehicle just for the wife weather I want to or not. It was bound to happen regardless, plans for a second child and two child seats in a 3 doesn't work. One rear facing car seat barely works. I've griped about that enough around here so I'll leave that there :p

But on top of that I work a pretty heavy continental shift schedule, so the wife needs to get around when I'm not home.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
In the old days, I would actually look for a used car and do a lot of research, expending several week of search, but now I work like 70 hours a week and have kids, so I had to pull together a short list of cars in a couple of hours after my car died suddenly. My previous car was from 1999, so I was not familiar with any of the new car features. Sales person are definitely a pain to deal with, too.

In retrospect, maybe it was for the best, the safety features on the Mazda 3 is probably not great compare to their competitors. Maybe it would not be worth the extra $1600. The car is a heck of a lot nicer than the previous car, which did not even have power window or ABS brakes. Trying to get used to driving an automatic.

Paul
Hate to tell you, but the safety of the mazda3 is actually pretty damn good, and truthfully I love my adaptive cruise control. I won't buy another car without it if I can help it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am one of the lucky ones in which my dear wife can drive a manual. She drove around in a 2004 Civic manual, in a big city, for over a dozen years. So manual for my M3! But I definitely would have gotten an auto if she could not drive a stick. Being only a two car family, it is important that both cars can be driven by either of us at any time in case of unforeseen events (e.g. car breakdown).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts