2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran the Mazda Toolbox today to update the maps with the January release. I did the backup before the new map installation. After running the installation, I wanted to backup again so I ran the Backup and it said it was successful. But when I go to the Restore option, I'm seeing the backup I created before the installation (as well as a much earlier one) but not the one after. I tried repeatedly with no success.

Anyone else experienced this? Suggestions for what to do? I need to successfully backup the latest version in order to make a copy of the SD card.

-Bruno

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you switch sd card it doesn't work anymore. My non oem backup sd was only recognized because I had used the earlier version of the toolbox to restore to it.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
This seems to be a common problem with Mazda Toolbox. I have the original nav card for my 2015 3sGT, and I have never switched or changed to a non-OEM card. The old version of toolbox made backups just fine, but the "new and improved" version has never made backups correctly. It works for a minute and says the backup is complete, but no files are actually backed up to my laptop.

My OS is Win7 64bit. Can anyone else comment on whether or not the current version of Toolbox makes good backups for you, and what OS you're using? Maybe there's some hardware or software or other compatibility issue so it works OK on some systems but not others.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have three NAV cards... the original, which I keep out of the car, one copy in the car and a third in the glove box in case the card being used gets hosed.

When I last updated the maps, I created a subsequent backup. I then copied the contents of the card to another card and then ran Restore on the second card. That created a nice usable backup. And I did it for the third card.

I had been running Mazda Toolbox on a Windows 7 Pro machine. I have a new machine running Windows 10 Pro. I installed Mazda Toolbox and when I logged in it said there was a new map so I installed it. I first created a backup, named it Backup022117 (today) and then installed the new map. The interesting thing is now when I run Mazda Toolbox on either the Windows 7 machine or the Windows 10 machine, it will show a prior backup and today's backup. So the backup is on the Mazda site... not my computer.

After I did the new map install, I ran Mazda Toolbox with one of the copies, which had not been updated. It told me there was an update, but also the SD diagnostic said that the license was invalid, although the card still works fine in the car. Is it possible that it detects the older map and the license validity is just for the new map?

So I took the "invalid" SD card copy and erased it and then copied over the contents of the newly updated card. I ran the Toolbox and it shows the map is current and the card is now valid. I thought I needed to do a Restore to it, but just the copy made it work. Now, to try it in the car... yep, it works.

Next step was to take the third SD card, which also registers invalid and run a full file diagnostic. The results:

Diagnostics complete = SD card is invalid
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) = JM1BM1M33Fxxxxxx
SD Card license name = JCI BHP1 66 EZ1C
SD Card license code = CP-M5XM-JJZO-H946-F5VB-JU4U
SD Card license type = PRODUCT
SD Card license valid = NO
Locking sequence = SD
Device.nng = Yes
Navigation engine software version = 9.12.68.519422
Space used on SD card = 5.23 GB
Total space on SD card = 14.45 GB
Read content file size = 0 GB
First GPS timestamp = 03.04.2015
Naviextras device registration date = 06.04.2015
Default SWID = 4KB0C1GKHGM5EY4Y
SWID list = R58Z69AHYAYQP2B2 ,4KB0C1GKHGM5EY4Y
Connected services activated = NO
Factory license = JCI BHP1 66 EZ1C Doesn't expire, invalid

Licenses
Mazda NA NQ 2014 Q2 Doesn't expire, valid
Mazda NA NQ 2015 Q2 Doesn't expire, valid
Mazda NA NQ 2015 Q4 Doesn't expire, valid
Mazda NA NQ 2016 Q2 Doesn't expire, valid

Rights
Map of North America January 2017 Expiration 03.04.2018

Recognized files
/Canada.3dc
file (2508782 byte) valid license valid signature:
valid

And on and on with all the files, all being valid. So the only thing invalid is the Factory license.

For this card, I let Mazda Toolbox install the new maps. First thing I noticed was that there was no long download time so obviously the maps are stored locally on my PC. But once installed, it seemed to have the new maps (based on size), but still comes up Invalid in the diagnostic. So I erased the card and copied over from the good card. Now the card shows as valid and works fine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am having the same issue with backup/restore. Toolbox says a backup was created and successful, but when I try to restore it says no backup has been created. I have gone round and round with support. They finally gave me a case number and told me to go to the dealership. I am waiting to hear back from the dealership.

I recommend contacting the Mazda Toolbox support and report your issue. It sounds like a software issue on their end. If enough complain, maybe they'll realize it's a real problem.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ironically there are like 4 post going on right now all with similar topics. I personally found that the Toolbox backup\restore is worthless and will leave you hanging out to dry when you need it most.

Like others, I've been able to simply copy all the files off the OEM card and paste them to a new card (via windows explorer) and it works fine.

Some have said that I may not be able to update my "clone" so I guess I'll have to wait for a new version to come out to see.

·
Registered
422 Posts
So a followup for me. Used the copy and paste method to make my clone and been running with that backup card until today (so almost a month). I drove somewhere and my navigation was working (which I only know because speed signs were showing in the hud). Started the car to come home and navigation wouldn't load and the speed signs were gone.

When I got home I put the aftermarket SD card in the laptop and the Mazda toolbox recognized it, said there was no update for it, but when I tried to validate, it failed complaining about the VIN number (I think it was). Once again I tried to restore to the aftermarket card and it wouldn't work....it would time out saying that it could not connect to Mazda servers.

I then downloaded an old program called win32image and used it to makes a clone of my original. Once done the Mazda toolbox past the aftermarket SD card with flying colors and this morning everything was back to normal.

So looks like SD cloning software may be better than this toolbox POS, which is only good for downloading the latest maps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts