2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2010 MS3
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Matte Black Enkei rpf1 17x9 +45 (Installed w/pics)

So I got my wheels and tires earlier this week:
-Matte Black Enkei rpf1's: 17x9 +45
-Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110: 235/45-17

Did the test fit yesterday... Hoping to get the tires mounted sometime next week...

EDIT:
Ok, well, I just couldn't stand waiting any longer, so I went and got the wheels mounted and balance. Fit is perfect, wheels turn from lock to lock no problem, the bigger (than stock) tires really help absorb a lot of little bumps, and are really sticky, and no rubbing as of yet, but it's possible, with enough weight in the back, that it could rub... *rolled rear fenders in near future* and the wheel/tire are really close to the front shock, so I might throw some 3mm spacers on there (just for peace of mind)... And I know... I need some center caps too :)

Anyways, ride is great, and I'm really happy with the results! *New pics at the bottom*

Front Wheel Fitment

Front Fitment in Relation to Caliper

Front Fitment in Relation to Koni Sport Shock

Rear Wheel Fitment

Rear Fitment in Relation to Koni Sport Shock

New Pics

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
That's going to look sick once you get everything all sorted.

The 17's make the front calipers look huge! And it looks like you've just got the slightest bit of room to clear the front strut with the tire when turning...I hope it's enough!

I'm really liking the aggressive fitment :yes:.

·
2010 MS3
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's going to look sick once you get everything all sorted.

The 17's make the front calipers look huge! And it looks like you've just got the slightest bit of room to clear the front strut with the tire when turning...I hope it's enough!

I'm really liking the aggressive fitment :yes:.
Ya man, I can't wait to get it all put together! I think I might just get some 3mm spacers for the front... Just for peace of mind. =)

·
2010 MZ3
144 Posts
Those would really look good on it! The aggressive look of the 9" wheels really makes the car look mean.. :yes:

Any chance of selling the ms3 wheels? might be intrested here..lol

·
2010 MS3
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just out of curiosity, why only 17"s? Just for weight savings?
Weight savings (I'm saving ~40lbs over the stock wheels), cheaper price of tires, and I can get tires that are taller/more tread/will last longer, and I'll have some extra room so hopefully I won't be prone to too much rubbing, or bottoming out with weight in the back.

·
2010 MS3
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OP updated with installed pics.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Wheels look nice! Are there center caps too? I think they would look better with them!

·
2010 MS3
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wheels look nice! Are there center caps too? I think they would look better with them!
The wheels didn't come with any, but Enkei does make some for these wheels (sold separately) that I will probably be picking up shortly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Diggin' up an oldish post, sorry, but how did your setup work over the summer? Did you end up putting in the spacer up front? I'm also thinking of going the 17" wheel and 45 series tire route, and I like the wider wheel you went with.

·
Registered
214 Posts
been a huge fan of the rims ever since they came out especially in black.the fitment looks good and i like the look with the 17's fits every well nice job

·
TM3 Member
105 Posts
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I recently picked up 18x9 +45 advan rz's.

In picture 8, it looks like you removed the counter weight... did you do it because it was rubbing?

My shop removed the counter weights off the front struts (koni yellow), so it would not rub. However, I remember when test fitting in an previous instance, the rim cleared the counter wiegth (on stock struts) with no issues (albeit barely).

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Mazdaspeed don't come with counterweights (vibration dampers) on the struts. So he didn't remove them cause he never had them to start. :yes: Stock MS3 wheels are closer to the strut than MS3 wheels which is probably why mazda deletes them.

·
TM3 Member
105 Posts
Mazdaspeed don't come with counterweights (vibration dampers) on the struts. So he didn't remove them cause he never had them to start. :yes: Stock MS3 wheels are closer to the strut than MS3 wheels which is probably why mazda deletes them.
If you don't mind me picking your brain (too soon for face eating/zombie references lol?), what is the purpose of the counter weights? I assumed it was for high speed stability, but that wouldn't explain why the speed3 doesn't have them, being that it is a faster car.

The underlying question here is that are there any adverse effects to removing the counter weight? Will it effect handling (in the context of auto-x/tracking)? Or safety?

Thanks.

EDIT: just re read your post. I guess it's only real purpose is to reduce N/V/H.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts