2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Monday morning as I was leaving for work, the MAF on my car failed. I got out to the main street and started to accelerate, when my car stumbled and the dash lit up. I was able to park it and call the Mazda Roadside Assistance, and have it towed to my local dealer.
I have less than 30,000 KMS on my 2015 3 GT, so I was wondering if anyone else has had the MAF go on their car this early? I can see it going at 200,000 KMS, but at 30K?
Did I get the one built on a Monday?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Mine went out around 45,000 miles a few months back. It was out of warranty at the time but forgot exactly what it was but the service guy said the MAF is covered under some kind of 100,000 mile warranty so they replaced it for free. Not sure if my MAF failure was due to me washing the JBR drop in filter and drove before it was 100% dried. I would say the filter was 98% dry as it looks dry but there will be a drop or two coming out whenever I fling it. Before the check engine light came on, I noticed that my mpg dropped and the car surges a bit when accelerating when the car was not warmed up yet. So yeah, not sure if mine was due to me cleaning the air filter :/

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have 100k miles on mine and nothing yet, fingers crossed. I only use paper filters though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Can't say I've had any problems with mine, I'm at 53k miles on the stock airbox. This should still be covered under the 100k Powertrain warranty, the base bumper to bumper only covers 35k if I remember right.

·
Registered
266 Posts
...the service guy said the MAF is covered under some kind of 100,000 mile warranty...
California vehicle and engine emission warranty periods are detailed here: https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/warranty.pdf.

California has mandated warranty periods for emissions equipment that is frequently longer than the OEM's warranty periods. A number of other West Coast and Northeast states follow California's lead in these matters. As I live in the only Northeast state that has not adopted California's regulations, I've saved thousands of dollars in emissions-related work on my Tundras by buying the trucks in Massachusetts, which does follow CA's lead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
MAF failing at 30,000 km is way to early. I wonder if there are other people having similar problems.

Btw a new sensor sells online for around $50 and you can replace it yourself in less than 30 min.

Follow these instructions: youcanic com/guide/change-mazda-mass-air-flow-sensor-cost-symptoms

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a MAF failure in a 2014 Mazda 3 with a little less than 40kmi. One day I started the car and made it about 20 feet, then the car died. No prior symptoms. After that the car would start and then die within 5 seconds unless I kept giving it gas, but even then the response was very laggy and undriveable. When I unplugged the MAF the car ran just fine (aside from CEL). Plugging the original MAF made it act up again. The parts department at my dealer said that the MAF is not covered by warranty after 3yr 36k mi. They wanted $250 for the sensor. I found it for $140 online from a different Mazda dealership. $50 sounds like a dream.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a MAF failure in a 2014 Mazda 3 with a little less than 40kmi. One day I started the car and made it about 20 feet, then the car died. No prior symptoms. After that the car would start and then die within 5 seconds unless I kept giving it gas, but even then the response was very laggy and undriveable. When I unplugged the MAF the car ran just fine (aside from CEL). Plugging the original MAF made it act up again. The parts department at my dealer said that the MAF is not covered by warranty after 3yr 36k mi. They wanted $250 for the sensor. I found it for $140 online from a different Mazda dealership. $50 sounds like a dream.
This was the 2.0L engine, which uses the same MAF as the 2.5 (part# PE01-13-215). I have the factory air box (stock, not oiled filter). The original MAF looked clean, and MAF cleaner didn't improve anything.

The $250 quote I had was parts-only (labor was additional). Replacing is simple: unscrew two screws and unplug an electrical connector, pull out old, install new... It shouldn't be more than a 5 minute job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts