2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I just joined the forum and I'll shortly be uploading pictures of my 2019 Mazda 3 Sport Lux!

I'll preface by saying that this car is my very first Mazda, previous Mazda's always felt cheap and a bit dull, but this Mazda really has impressed me!

One area that I'm not impressed with is tyre noise at motorway speed. Here in the UK I normally travel at 70mph but the tyre/road noise gets unbearable especially on the UK's old concrete road's, although on newer tarmac it's not so bad.

My Mazda has Bridgstone T500A tyres, which I believe are pritty good, but do you think changing these for a quieter tyre would result in a noticable difference?

I'm considering changing December to the Mazda CX-30, not as good looking as my 3!, but reviewers say it's quieter than the hatch and the ride a bit more forgiving. Not a fan of the chrome trim at the front nor the huge black plastic but interior looks fab in that brown tone.

Cheers D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the 18 inch wheels with the same tires you have and there is indeed some specific road noise with these. For winter tires I bought the whole set from Mazda, but with 16 inch rims and Bridgestone blizzak tires and I have to admit that although they are not as good looking as the 18s, they are a bit more comfortable especially when hitting a pot hole and the noise is gone. It is probably due to the very low side profile of the tire which produces some resonance in the wheel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Grey15. So based on that and the fact I prefer seeing my car on 18 inch wheels I need to just live with it? I have to say most of my driving is around the city where I dont really notice it. I'm guessing that the CX-30 on the same 18 inch wheels would also cause the same problem!

·
Registered
5 Posts
It’s the second year since I have the car and yes, I notice that specific sound as soon as I put the 18 wheels on. There is nothing it can be done, and the problem is not the car insulation for sure, it’s just the noise that those specific wheels make. The cx30 from what I know has the same 18 inch wheels, but it has a slightly larger side wall as the car is a crossover. So the feeling must be comparable to the 16 inch wheels on the 3 IMO > more comfort over bumps and less noise. However, if you don’t feel any discomfort while driving around, getting the cx30 just for this aspect is a bit too extreme. Also consider that there are some differences between the two vehicles. The 3 gives a sportier feeling while driving while the cx30 kinda lacks this feeling for a bit more comfort on the highway. The 3 is though a very comfortable car for long journeys. However, the cx30 will have some more body roll noticeable while cornering than the 3, so depending on what you prefer might influence the decision.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would say more likely it's due to tires instead of wheels.

All else equal, Yes, bigger wheels = lower profile sidewalls and will be firmer compared smaller wheels/higher profile sidewalls, but specific frequencies of noise come from tires

Thus, if "comfort" (in terms of softness) is preferred, then downsizing wheels and/or changing to softer tires will help.

For noise, changing tires would help.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
I feel like a broken record, and I promise that Pirelli is not paying me to sell their tires (although they should!)....but with my Gen 3 hatch, I was going crazy with the road noise on certain specific stretches of pavement, and Pirelli P7 Cinturaro II tires improved the ride noticeably and the road noise dramatically. In fact, I notice much more wind noise on the highway than I did previously, but that's just a sign of how much quieter the tires are. They still handle well too.

·
Super Moderator
6,121 Posts
This is nothing new...... The Mazda 3 has always had a significant amount of road noise. Its been discussed a hundred times since the Gen 3 cars were introduced. The Gen 4 cars are supposed to be better, but only somewhat. The crap tires installed at the factory don't help either.
Are your tires the T500A or T005A?
The Bridgestone T005A is designed to be more of a wet weather tire, so it has a more open tread pattern which will be noisier on dry pavement. One review site has this to say -
it's not outstanding in any category but not bad either. The T005 does have the loudest passby noise on test

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have Toyo tyres on mine (also 18s, also in the UK) and they aren't particularly noisy which does suggest tyre tread pattern rather than size.

Many years ago I had a pair of Pirelli P6000 on the back of a Ford Focus. I replaced two rear wheel bearings before working out it was the tyres - they'd worn into a saw-tooth pattern.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! I'm even more confused now, I'll have to check my tire name but if that's correct why do some UK cars have different types, like HFStuart has mentioned Toyo.

I have to say that I really like the 3 to the cx-30 and if a tyre change will even reduce the noise by 25% I'll be happier.

Been looking at Kwik Fit here in the UK and the only Continental tyre I can see is this one:

Pirelli Cinturato P7 215/45 18W (93)

If arathol is correct and that it reduces road noise dramatically then I'll buy these but it's going to expensive for a maybe!

Any other thoughts because at the moment it looks like trading to a Golf for a quieter ride and that car is soooo boring!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I suspect Mazda had a deal with both Bridgestone and Toyo and fitted them more or less at random. I've not been able to find a rule as to which ones are fitted.
The Bridgestone is probably the better tyre, the OE Toyo aren't great in the wet.

Where are you in the UK if you happen to be close to me (East Anglia) come and try mine.

Please don't buy a golf!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm in the West Midlands so quite a jaunt but thanks for the invitation!

I suppose another question to ask, where on the internet, could I found out all the tyre reviews that fit the Mazda, which would tell me which tyre gives the most forgiving ride and noise, could'nt care less abnout handling as I'm a snail driver!

Kwik Fit do these too:
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3

I'm getting a bit fed up looking now and my hand is hovering over the Carwow, build your Golf Page! 🤣🤣

·
Registered
37 Posts
If performance isnt a concern maybe 16s are the answer after all?

I suspect I'll end up with 17s on mine as I want a performance tyre but would like a slightly better ride.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I prefer the look of the 18 inch wheels though - i just read the review of the Bridgstones and yes very noisey indeed!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I prefer the look of the 18 inch wheels though
Fair enough. I did a bit of googling on the T005 and noise and while there's a range of opinions I found more negative than positive - here's a quote from an EV forum where I suppose road noise must be more noticeable! A common theme it the very low rolling resistance - I'm sure a key reason for Mazda choosing them.

The GTE on 18" wheels comes fitted with Bridgestone's, they are very bad with regards to both grip handling & road noise.
I replaced them on my car with Good Year F1's - the difference was like night & day !

Whole thread.

Similar from an Audi Forum

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
595 Posts
Quite true ...road tire noise has to be the ugliest noise you can ever hear while driving . Hence why its a big deal with EV owners if you drive with the windows down or have to drive with the windows up because its too annoying. So as mentioned tire manufacturers are making tires with decreased rolling resistance and hopefully that leads to low tire noises too. Low-rolling resistance tires can add a mile or two to those fuel economy numbers that car manufacturers are chasing hence why Mazda chooses the tires it chooses. Something has to give ..if you want less rolling resistance the downside is less rubber contact/resistance on the road means less grip, which could affect stopping (especially on wet roads) and acceleration . Some feel there is handling and performance issues; and these tires will wear out faster because lower thread depth because lower thread depth equals less resistance & heat / friction. If a low rollling resistance increases stopping distance on dry pavement more importantly on wet... is that worth the extra 2 mpg? There is always a give and take. But maybe there really isnt. You might be surprised if i say Ultra high performance tires have low rolling resistance. TireRack tested compared Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R , Dunlop Direzza ZIII , Falken Azenis RT615K+ , Hankook Ventus R-S4 and also looked if they affected fuel economy. Only the Falken (-1% less) and Dumlop (- .3%) showed they performed less than EPA numbers. My view , i go for better grip (better safety) , better stopping distance. Maybe road noise may not drop but i
prefer not to hear my car crunching the car infront of me & the air bags inflating because of less grip and the sound of voice screaming when my insurance rate increase. I think that is worth 2 mpg .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just did some searching (Thanks HFStuart btw) and these tyre review sites/forums and positive and negative on all these tyres! Good reviews for the Pirelli P7's but then another forum states how noisey they are.

After doing some hunting about I keep coming back to these: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 but if you do some skimming of the websites, again some people, say they are noisey. £475 fitted at kwik fit. Those Taranzus are £125 from kwik fit so not cheap in my book to begin with.

Going around in circles!

Maybe the roads here in the UK are just bad an no matter what you buy it wont make a difference.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
595 Posts
I just did some searching (Thanks HFStuart btw) and these tyre review sites/forums and positive and negative on all these tyres! Good reviews for the Pirelli P7's but then another forum states how noisey they are.

After doing some hunting about I keep coming back to these: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 but if you do some skimming of the websites, again some people, say they are noisey. £475 fitted at kwik fit. Those Taranzus are £125 from kwik fit so not cheap in my book to begin with.

Going around in circles!

Maybe the roads here in the UK are just bad an no matter what you buy it wont make a difference.
Another option ... increase your exhaust note so you dont hear the road noise ;)
Or pump up the volume ... If you want no road noise park the Mazda and enjoy its beautiful lines

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another option ... increase your exhaust note so you dont hear the road noise ;)
Or pump up the volume ... If you want no road noise park the Mazda and enjoy its beautiful lines
Joking apart I tried turning up the music volume on the M5 Motorway, both together gave me a headache, might try earplugs next! 🤣

·
Registered
37 Posts
They do their official noise level is 67dB whilst the Bridgestones are 69 dB. I've no idea how those are calculated for tyres but it suggests that they could be as much as 20% quieter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts