2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't been a member very long but I decided since I'm going to be modding and upgrading my car constantly, I should create a build thread;

Current Mods
20% Tint (Back and Rear Windows, VT law)
H&R Street Performance Coilovers
Rear Adjustable Camber Arms
Racing Beat Rear Sway Bar
Racing Beat Axle-Back Exhaust
Corksport Short Ram Intake
Enkei T-Fork 17x7 Wheels
Dunlop Direzza DZ101 205/55r17 Tires
Akata 5mm Spacers (Front and Rear)
DDM 35w 6000k HID (Low Beams)
White LED Interior Lights / License Plate Light
Blue LED Footwell Lights w/ Custom Dashboard Switch
Diamond D1 Subwoofer
Memphis C-Class Amplifier
Black Painted Calipers w/ Mz3 Decal
LED Rear Turn Signals w/ 6ohm 50w Resistors

Future Mods
Corksport Front Strut Brace
Corksport Cold Air Box (When a Skyactiv Version is Developed)
Corksport Short Shift Plate (When a Skyactiv Version is Developed)
Corksport License Plate Relocation Kit
Mud Flaps (Undecided Brand)
Side Skirts (Undecided Brand)
Front/Rear Lips (Undecided Brand)
Rear Sway Bar End-Links (Undecided Brand)
Switchback LED Turn Signals

Obviously , I'm not looking to upgrade my power much. I'm going for a great-looking car that sounds nice and handles well.
Hopefully everyone agrees that I'm on the right path!

And here begins my timeline!

I purchased my Mazda 3i Touring 5-Door 6-Speed M/T in Black Mica the day after Christmas, 2012. It was my Christmas present to me!
12-26-2012 Mazda 3i.jpg

I told myself that I wouldn't do any mods to it until the warranty was up, but then I realized I couldn't wait.

Winter 2013, Tinted the windows all around down to 20%.
Stock
Front Driver Angle Before Tint.JPG

After getting the tint; so much better.
Front Driver Angle.JPG

I eventually put in my subwoofer from my old car.
12 inch Diamond D1 Subwoofer with a Memphis D-Class Amplifier.
The subwoofer is 200w RMS, 400w MAX.
The amplifier is 250w.
In the hatchback, this thing POUNDS!
Subwoofer.jpg
Shout-out to Electronic Warehouse in Saratoga Springs, NY for the install.

A buddy and I then decided to play around with the interior by putting some blue LED lights under the front dashboard. Very easy install!
Interior lights.jpg
Since I had fun installing the lights, I went ahead and installed a dashboard On/Off toggle switch for them too.
LED switch.png

Next were the calipers; painted them black. I love the simple look of black, and I felt that red calipers on a black car is something that EVERYONE else had. I decided to switch it up.
Black Calipers.jpg

Next were the new wheels. First large purchase for the 3. I went with Enkei T-Fork 17x7. Even thought I love the black-on-black look, I love the contrast between silver and black even more. The wheels are an anthracite with a machined face. I love the wheels!
Enkei%20T-Fork%20Gunmetal%20Machined.jpg Wheels Delivered.jpg
Mazda with new wheels.jpg
The tires are Dunlop Direzza DZ101 205/50r17.

I've had the car for about six months now and I look forward to doing even more to it!

If anybody has any ideas or comments, or criticisms please speak up!
I'll keep everyone posted.

Reactions: watchnu

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Just ordered some new HID lights!

I went with DDM because they seemed to work for others on the forum.
DDM Slim-Kit 35w 6000k

Hopefully they'll be here within the next few weeks so I can get them up and running!

Pictures to come...

I also ordered a Racing Beat Rear Sway Bar, looks like I got some work to do soon!
Wouldn't have it any other way.

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After a ton of researching and the much appreciated help from some others on the forum,, I've decided my net purchase is going to be a suspension upgrade.

H&R Stret Performance Coilovers; 1.5" drop in front and a 1.75" drop in the rear.
ACDelco (SPC) Rear Camber Arms.

Can't wait to order towards the end of July, I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.
Before and after pictures as well as videos will be coming also.

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Alright, so I installed by DDM 35w 6000k HID lights tonight. The install took a it longer than expected because of a problem with the bulbs being loose in the housing, but I eventually got it to fit snug!

I love them! They make it much easier to see at night. I found myself attempting to turn off my high-beams when they were even on...

headlight_stock_bulb.jpg headlight_HID_bulb.jpg
Headlight_stock_view.jpg headlight_HID_view.jpg headlight_HID-aim.jpg

I mounted the ballasts under the fender and just ran the wires up the side. I have to find a way to secure the relay and wires, but this works for now. They are mounted with 3M double sided tape. Its a pretty good hold. I'll be keeping an eye on it until I'm satisfied though.

ballasts_left.jpg ballast_right.jpg

I then used the plastic housings that the HID bulbs were shipped in to hold my stock halogen bulbs. I used a bit of Velcro to hold the containers in the back of my glove compartment so they don't roll around and break while driving.

headlights_glovebox.jpg

Next up is going to be the Racing Beat RSB and H&R Coilovers and Camber Arms!

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just have terrible luck with headlights blowing. I wonder if I'll get bothered with the 6000k. They are a bit more blue than I expected.

And yeah that switch for the LED's was fun to do. I got lucky with the way that it fit in the dashboard.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Took off the "SkyActive" badge from the rear and placed it on the engine cover.
I got the idea from somebody on this forum, but I cannot remember who.
If it was you, let me know so I can give you credit!

Anyways... pics.

debadged_rear.jpg debadged_rear_full.jpg engine cover_skyactive.jpg

Just ordered an Axela badge for the hatch

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just got home from vacation! Waiting for me in the mail were Warlord's camber arms, caliper decals and my Axela badge. I put on the Axela as soon as I saw it...
Axela.jpg

Also went ahead and put on the "Mazda 3" caliper decals...
caliper sticker 1.jpg caliper sticker 2.jpg

As soon as my H&R Coilovers arrive on Tuesday, sway bar, camber arms and the coils will all be installed.

Reactions: Crespo and warlord

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Today I installed my Racing Beat Rear Sway Bar. Took loner than expected because I screwed up my threads on one of the bolts as I took it out. After tapping and cleaning/rethreading the hole I was able to get everything to fit. Overall, the install was extremely simple besides the little hiccup I had.

All I have to say is WOW. This RSB is awesome. I am able to throw my car into a corner and feel comfortable with the outcome.
I can't wait to pair this with my H&R Coilovers later this week!

You can see the enormous difference between the two sway bars.
sway bar comparison.jpg

Here is the bar installed. I used to stock end links, but I am going to replace them eventually.
sway bar installed.jpg

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
awesome guy....i just put in my order for the RSB and I want to do an HID install but i think its too hard for me and i have no experience with it......

Question:
With the HID's, did u just replace the bulbs or did u do the whole housing?
Both are very easy installs.

The HID's, all I did was replace the bulbs. Not the housing.
@Dano285 had a really good write-up on how to do this.
Click Here for Dano285's Write-Up on How to Install an HID Kit in 2010-2013 Mazda 3

As for the sway bar, also a very easy install. It just takes a bit more force to get the bolts out. But overall, its pretty easy.
I believe this is an older model Mazda 3, but the concept and positions of the bolts are exactly the same.

Let me know if you want any photos or help with the installs. You'll love both of the mods though, guaranteed.

Good Luck

Reactions: barabizzle023

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed my Stubby Antenna today!

stubby antenna.jpg

Also, recently I completed my install of the H&R Street Performance Coilovers!
Here are a few pictures of the new height:cheesy:

BJ's_edited.jpg
great bay_edited.jpg

There is a two finger gap in both the front and rear. The drop is around 1.5" front, 1.75" rear.

lowered 1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Awesome man...Like the black on black on black (minus the silver in the wheels lol). I looove gray cars but this is exactly what I am doing to mine and got almost everything you did except sway bar and wheels...I think i will plasti dip since my rent is about 1000/month :( But anyway I like it man good job

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks man. Always like the comments and criticisms. I went with the silver because I LOVE the contrast but sometimes I wish I went all black. But yeah I don't have any bills right now except the car and Netflix so I'm taking advantage of it. I only a few more months till I have more bills:/

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Tonight I installed my Corksport SRI. Thanks to the help from Kelly from Corksport, @[email protected] and @[email protected] I got the correct MAF housing and everything went perfect! Sounds amazing. Also, I don't know if its just my head but acceleration feels more smooth, and it feels as if there is a slight increase in the power and response. Anyways, awesome buy! I'll update in two weeks or so!

intake.jpg

Next modifications to install are the switchback LED turn signals in the front!
Then hopefully a CS CBE, just have to decide on with RP or the HFC.

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 50 Posts