2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry this is my first post and I'm asking for help.

I just purchased a 2013 hatchback, manual transmission. I'm in the process of draining/filling the transmission gear oil. While inserting and re-positioning the hose I was going to use to fill the transmission, I noticed a spring in the end of the hose.

I'm assuming there is some kinda of check spring behind the fill plug and I somehow pulled it out with my hose. I'm hoping someone can confirm that.

Because I've used this hose before and just grabbed it out of my supply box, there's a extraordinarily slim chance that it had a spring somehow get in there prior to using it.

Picture attached. The spring is just over 1 inch.

Help!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stupid Mistakes

OK - I figured out my dumb mistake. I still need help from anyone who may have transmission experience, or a shop manual/diagram of a 2013 MT transmission.

Above the proper fill plug is another (21mm) plug. Unfortunately, it was the first one I saw and I reached up with my 23 mm socket and it came out just fine. That explains the spring - it is supposed to be in there.

So - the million dollar question. Can I just put back in the spring, thread in the 21mm plug, and be OK?

I'm guessing this is going to be a dealer/shop visit and I'm willing to pay for their time, considering how stupid this mistake was.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK - I figured out my dumb mistake. I still need help from anyone who may have transmission experience, or a shop manual/diagram of a 2013 MT transmission.

Above the proper fill plug is another (21mm) plug. Unfortunately, it was the first one I saw and I reached up with my 23 mm socket and it came out just fine. That explains the spring - it is supposed to be in there.

So - the million dollar question. Can I just put back in the spring, thread in the 21mm plug, and be OK?

I'm guessing this is going to be a dealer/shop visit and I'm willing to pay for their time, considering how stupid this mistake was.

And apparently I can't embed links to external images as a new member. Here's the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't be dumb. Don't do as I did. But if you do, and find yourself looking at this thread one day, here's some additional information.

The plug right above the correct fill plug is a some kinda detent ball pin. You can safely put the spring back in as long as the detent didn't come out with it. Torque to 24-34 ft lbs and go about your business.

Picture attached.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts